Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Lady Dank posted:

I love our little liberal stronghold up here in Humboldt County. And the people. Hoping it never changes and we keep our Dem majority for the near future.

I've always been pretty surprised by how many Humboldt natives were strongly against Prop 19. I get that legalizing weed would lower growers' profits, but surely all the other reasons to make it legal should have outweighed that! It just seems like a weird attitude coming from an otherwise liberal place.

duodenum posted:

Who the hell serves fries in a burrito and calls it "California?"

I've found a use for domestic drone strikes.

Fries in a burrito are fuckin' delicious; death to burrito elitists!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Dave47 posted:

This article's central idea is that allowing people to commute to and from their jobs during a public transit strike is the "dark side" of private transit. But if we're going to adopt the logic that everyone must suffer equally, then why exactly do BART employees deserve a raise? We're all supposed to be suffering together, remember!

Those aren't really the same. If no one can make it to work, and this causes the BART management to accept BART labor's demands, then that is temporary suffering by everyone to permanently improve life for BART workers. The BART workers would then theoretically be willing to temporarily suffer to improve some other group's lives in the future. If on the other hand BART employees have to deal with lovely working conditions, don't get raises, etc, then nobody's life improves on a permanent basis (except I suppose the BART management).

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

It looks like BART workers agreed to extend the current contract by 30 days, and service will begin again this Friday.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'm a little confused w/r/t rentchat a few pages back. Were people saying that Bay Area rent is being driven up by speculation? How does that work? I've taken an interest to the issue of rent near SF because my friend is looking for a reasonably priced two-bedroom near Burlingame and isn't coming up with anywhere better than Hayward with affordable rent.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I've never understood why the people of Santa Cruz are so against the plans to build a desalinization plant. It's safe and necessary, and yet plans to pursue it were dropped this week because people were so against it.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Let's not forget why California banned open carry in the first place, though. Widespread police brutality targeting the black populace led to armed groups of Panthers following police to any arrest they made and watching with rifles strapped to their backs. For a brief time, police activity became slightly more civil. Then the CA supreme court or the legislature (can't remember which) banned open carry.

It was Reagan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Family Values posted:

Sorry to go back to burgerchat but I think Habit deserves at least a mention. Not life altering or anything, but pretty good; better quality than In-n-out.

http://www.habitburger.com

The Habit is pretty drat good for a cheap-ish burger chain, and I wouldn't be surprised if they become real competition for In&Out in the next couple years. For everyone who's about to go there on this thread's recommendation: make sure you get the onion rings! That's what The Habit is known for (at least around Santa Barbara).

• Locked thread