Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm a white person who rode the Metro/busses for work for 6 months. I tried to do my part, you guys. :smith:

Seriously, the Metro was amazing for when I used it. I would have been spending a shitload on gas and getting super stressed if I had to drive every day (my commute was from Pasadena to near LAX).

I'm really sad the Metro funding tax didn't get voted through. The 2/3rds rule to raise taxes is goddamned idiotic and shortsighted, just like Prop 13.

But overall? California is a god damned paradise compared to my home state Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Well, we can either have a Jets/Sharks style musical gang fight to decide who's right or we can drop the dumbest derail ever over the use of "the" before highway names.

The food derails are better than this.

e: VVV Where else? How about here - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032518

e2: Times like this make me wish I were a mod. MAKE IT STOP!

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 20, 2013

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

"I might have to sell a house and make millions of dollars" is the first worldiest first world problem I've heard in quite some time.

Just sell the house and retire early! Enjoy your life, not a collection of old things.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > San Francisco Megathread: There Are Other Parts of California?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FCKGW posted:

I'd bring up some interesting tidbits about my area around San Bernardino and Riverside county but it's all terrible and depressing anyways.

I'd talk more about LA but I've only been here 2.5 years and don't feel like enough of an authority to discuss anything other than the Metro is cool and we should expand the gently caress out of it.

LA's problems are depressing, too. :smith::hf::smith:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Traffic is the great equalizer. Or it was, until the Express Lanes became the real-life version of Pay to Win DLC for video games.

Helicopters are cheat codes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dusseldorf posted:

BART is also real dirty.

And what, the Metro isn't? Still, the Metro's cool, I wish I had a walkable station and a more direct route south from the Expo line. I enjoy not driving and reading my Kindle, even if it takes a little longer.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Welcome to the new economy, where fast food service is expected to be a viable career path.

Heaven forbid people have a little bit more money, my god, they might spend in on things which would improve demand and help the economy!

I'm so glad this is passing. If we could just repeal Prop 13 and fix our prisons, this would indeed be The Best State. Also high speed rail.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Miss-Bomarc posted:

"A McJob is all that you can hope for" is not exactly the most inspiring rallying cry.

Raising the minimum wage doesn't send this message, it says that if you are working full time, you deserve to earn enough to live (and maybe even help support a family.) People will still want to get out of McJobs because they're lovely to work at even if they paid $50/hour, the incentive to get a better job is not being removed.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I personally know a state firefighter who retired at 59 years old after 40 years of service. He makes 14k a month in pension benefits.

That's crazy, but I don't see how hurting the current workforce (rather than 6-figure pensioners) fixes that problem.

Edit: Both of the 50-something former law-enforcement officers who are running for office in my city district make 6-figure pensions as well. It's gross.

I remember hearing something about firefighter's pensions being based on their last 2-3 years of work, so oftentimes they'll work crazy amounts of overtime in those last couple years to ensure their pension is amazing.

Personally, I don't care, they run into burning buildings to save people's lives, pay them whatever they want.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

redscare posted:

Yeah and I agreed on having a certain amount of money be paid to me, but when the economy took a poo poo, I had to deal with making less money for a while. Why exactly should those of us in the private sector be liable for 100% of some guys's pension that was promised decades before every job that supported it was shipped to China even as our 401ks eat poo poo sandwiches and the city/county/state collapses around us because there's no money left for anything else?

You want to hold on to your pension? Convince the politicians to jack taxes on the rich into the moon. Otherwise, the public sector, ESPECIALLY in this state, deserves nothing more than the same poo poo sandwich all of us have to eat.

Crab bucket mentality at it's finest, folks. This is why we can't have nice things.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I don't know about anyone else, but when I was changing in my high school locker room, I didn't look at anyone else and prayed that no one was looking at me. It wasn't exactly the shower scene from Starship Troopers, we were all uncomfortable with our bodies, because ya know, puberty.

Dammit, beaten:

Leperflesh posted:

Basically what I'm saying is locker rooms should have lots of stalls with doors on them anyway. Teens have enough body-shape issues as it is.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

predicto posted:

Budget is projected to have a 2 billion surplus this year, enough to pay down some debt or actually start a rainy day fund. Expect to see a lot of conservatives start screaming about how it is "an illusion."

Conservatives are really loving mad that CA is doing so well with a Democratic supermajority. All of their cries of "Watch all the jobs leave for Texas" were complete poo poo and it's pissing them off, so yea, I expect some amazing comments about how we're actually the worst place in the world to live/own a business.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Everyone I know calls it San Fran (though for a disclaimer, I'm from the South Bay).

All my friends from there just call it "The City" which to me seem extremely presumptuous. Like it's the only city (or I guess they would say the only city that matters.)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

The housing isn't really much cheaper

Yes it is. San Francisco housing prices are completely insane, even for CA.

Leperflesh posted:

the food isn't better

No, but I would argue it's just as good. I'm heading up to SF in a couple weeks so maybe I'll reevaluate after that visit.

Get the gently caress out of here. We have like one hot week a year, it's gorgeous almost all the time. And right now it's way warmer than what you all are dealing with.

Any other SoCal myths I can bust?

GrumpyDoctor posted:

You southern weirdos also prefix freeway names with "the".

This is true, see The Californians sketch on SNL, it's a depressingly accurate take on how every loving conversation in LA becomes about which freeways you took to get there.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

We can't be friends anymore. :colbert:

Compared to Disney World, it's a joke.

Leperflesh posted:

Is it true your cops are all corrupt racists?

A depressing amount of them, yes. :smith:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

World has Epcot which is the best Disney park

This is all I care about. Epcot is so loving cool and I miss it.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Hollywood Studios

Ughhh. I will always call it MGM.

A Winner is Jew posted:

go to Florida twice a year

I'm so sorry. I've managed to get my visits down to once a year, and that's with all my family still living there.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ntan1 posted:

Yes we have five guys all around the area now, which is amazing.

They have awesome fries, but their burgers are overcooked and overpriced. Fatburger is the best non sit down chain burger I've found. Fuddruckers is the best chain sit down burger.

Why, yes I am a burger :spergin:.

E: VVV Fatburger is legit as gently caress. :respek:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rudager posted:

So I'm heading to LA for 4 nights, SF for 5 nights, than 5 nights in Vegas for my honeymoon starting on the 1st of March.

We've got all the accommodation and flights booked, now just trying to fill in the days.

If I'm staying in motel in North Hollywood, would I reasonably be able to get to places like Disney World and Universal in Anaheim on public transport or am I better off hiring a car?

Also, any suggestions in for what to do general would be great, I've looked through the thread but there doesn't seem to be much but about where not to go.

For Los Angeles:

Here is the thread for you.

Real talk though, hit up Griffith Observatory, it owns bones.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

You can go on studio tours, just go look on their websites for the info. They last a couple of hours (at least the Warner Brothers one did) and you get to see sets/soundstages/etc. It's pretty fun, I would recommend.

I'd also recommend Griffith Observatory. That's probably top of my list for "Cool poo poo to see when you're in LA." It's more of an experience than just "Oh neat, the Capital Records building." :geno:

As for tickets for shows, again, look online for more information. I was able to go to a taping of The Soup for free just by emailing their booking person.

Also post your LA questions in this thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032518 so that we can mock you and post the list from the Simpsons for the 999th time.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 16, 2014

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

article posted:

The state also has been adding jobs at one of the fastest rates in the nation since the recovery from the recession began, led by the technology sector.

But...but all those politicians kept saying that all the businesses were leaving California to go to Texas!

The whole "everyone's leaving CA in droves" meme angers me greatly for some reason. I think just because I love it here so much that the idea that anyone would leave this state is completely alien to me. Also because it's not true in the slightest.

ETA: Hahaha, from the same article at the end:

quote:

"We're seeing people literally get a U-haul and leave California, and he's spending money like it's 1999," said Assembly Tim Donnelly, who lives in the San Bernardino Mountain community of Twin Peaks.

:fut: "literally get a U-haul"

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 17, 2014

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Well I think we had quite a bit of domestic migration out of the state during the 2000s (read: before Brown's election and the Democratic supermajorities).

It's like Republicans' perceptions of California are stuck in the last decade, although you'll always get some businessman whinging about how "it's sooooooooo expensive to do business now, I think I'll head to Texas :qq:"

That makes sense, I moved here in 2011, so I haven't seen any sort of mass migration happening but Republicans keep acting like it never stopped or even worse, they're acting like it's picking up speed.

It also makes a lot of sense that their information is outdated and that they refuse to acknowledge reality, but that's the :gop: for ya.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Too funny, I just went to the San Diego Zoo on Saturday for the first time ever. I would highly recommend going, it was one of the best zoos I've ever seen. It's gigantic, so be prepared for lots of walking, but also they have a bus system that will drop you off at certain stops.

They had baby giraffes! :3:

The one second from the left is only 5 weeks old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

And would you recommend a trip to LA or Tijuana in our extra week or should we spend all the time (two weeks for me, one week effectively for her) around SD?

Come to LA if you want to check out all the typical touristy "Hollywood" things (Walk of Fame, Chinese Theater, Hollywood sign, etc.) or if there's a specific show or something that you want to see, aside from that, I would recommend just staying in San Diego.

Do NOT go to Tijuana.

• Locked thread