Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

computer parts posted:

Twice as long is what, two hours? I'll trade that for much cheaper fare and no airport security lines.

Yeah, while the actual time spent moving is longer, the total trip is likely to be close to comparable, because you don't have to deal with traveling to the departure airport, going through security, or traveling from the destination airport. (This is assuming that places aren't putting their train terminals in rear end-backwards stupid locations, which I'm not sure of.)

raminasi fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Ah Pook posted:

I really want rail to work, but California.

I get your drift, but California actually has one of the two semi-functional Amtrak corridors in the entire country.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Welp, looks like I'll have to have my parents drive me up to Berkeley and back for work :shepicide:

Depending on where you are, the Capitol Corridor might actually be a suitable replacement for you.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
This article about the strike has been bouncing around, for what it's worth.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Leperflesh posted:

Nobody says "I drove up 1"

I do. So does my family.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
How did we get over a page of SF Bay Area pizza chat without anyone mentioning Zachary's?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Eegah posted:

I don't think there's a supermajority. Proposition 25 which was passed in 2010 changed the budget procedure so that it only requires a simple majority to pass the Legislature instead of the 2/3 majority it previously did, and that's what's really unfucked things -- the relative power it gave Orange County Republicans was absolutely insane.

There is a supermajority. The prop 25 change allowed a simple majority to pass a budget, but new taxes still need 2/3rds.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Welcome to the new economy, where fast food service is expected to be a viable career path.

If it requires a full day of work you should be able to live off of it.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Miss-Bomarc posted:

I remember when McJobs were a bad thing, when they were proof that Republican idiocy had permanently damaged the economic makeup of America, when it was horrific to think that someone would have a multi-year full-time career as a fast-food worker.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Are you advocating paying fast food workers less than a living wage as a way to incentivize them to get "better" jobs or something?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Having the minimum wage be actually livable isn't exactly a mainstream Democratic position.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
BART raises fares every two years (on a schedule) specifically to avoid the possibility of it getting politicized that way. (I don't know if the amounts are set beforehand.)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I personally know a state firefighter who retired at 59 years old after 40 years of service. He makes 14k a month in pension benefits.

That's crazy, but I don't see how hurting the current workforce (rather than 6-figure pensioners) fixes that problem.

Edit: Both of the 50-something former law-enforcement officers who are running for office in my city district make 6-figure pensions as well. It's gross.

14k a month in pension benefits? Health care for a 59-year-old firefighter probably isn't cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
You southern weirdos also prefix freeway names with "the".

• Locked thread