Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This Blue Cut fire is getting pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They lifted evacuations in south Hesperia and areas east of I-15 I believe.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chinatown posted:

theres water falling from the sky in san diego

It was 100 degrees and rained for 5 minutes in the Inland Empire yesterday

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Illuminado posted:

Carwashing, the modern day rain dance. Just sprinkled here in NorCal. It's supposed to be El Nino this year right? That's still happening?

No, El Nino season is over. Typically it's followed by La Nina, which is drier than normal conditions, but that blob off the coast was so large it screwed with normal El Nino patters so were not really sure what it's supposed to look like this winter.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

Was Huell single or married or in another form of partnership?

Nothing I can see about spouse or partner. He seems to be a very private guy outside of his tv personality.

I did discover his name is a combination of his parents names, Harold and Jewell :3:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Might I suggest you come experience The Inland Empire?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

withak posted:

That is the way it has always worked up here in the communist north. They charge you for 1 bag if you only have a few things and two bags if you have a lot. It's not like the bags are inventoried.

But they're not required to, prop 67 specifically dealt with banning plastic bags. Paper bags are fine because they're highly recyclable, biodegrade and don't gently caress up the oceans. If TJs just started charging for paper bags then that's a company policy, nothing that any specific state law says they need to do.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

withak posted:

Look at this guy who didn't read his voter's guide. Prop 67 included a charge for paper bags.

Welp, you're right, please ignore me then.

I don't think I've ever seen a single-use paper bag btw.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just discovered that you can AirBNB Huell Howser's old house

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/10038359

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

coupbrick posted:

29 Palms isn't rad though.

Yeah but it's only a 15 minute drive to the radness.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The IE is basically anything an hours drive from the I-10 and I-215 interchange. Thats Ontario/Corona on the west, Banning/Hemet on the East, Murietta on the South and Victorville on the North, although I'd call that high desert.

The I.E. is enclosed by mountain ranges so it's not that hard to figure out. If you start in riverside and then cross a mountain pass then congrats, you've escaped the I.E.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jeeves posted:

29 Palms was weird. Joshua Tree's west entrance clearly has all of the vacationers from LA coming in, and the few blocks of hip stores attest to it.

The park's east entrance? Oh dear. My wife and I were wondering why every other store had signs for "MARINE HAIRCUTS" until I realized there was that huge marine base out there.

edit - between the two towns is Indian Cove campground, which was fukken amazing. Basically you sleep in little valleys of stones that look like crowds of Rock Biters from Neverending Story.

Indian cove is awesome, I was just there last month. Also there's no park entrance fee to camp there.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I drive up 395 from Riverside fairly regularly. The drive up Cajon until you meet up in Ridgecrest with the 14 isn't all that interesting. Victorville/Adelanto can be infuriating with traffic and you have a long, single lane double yellow highway where you can get stuck behind a slow truck for 30+ minutes with no way to pass. That whole stretch is the worst part of my drive.

Take the 5 to the 14 IMO.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

withak posted:

IMO the tent cabins there are a lot better than a cheap motel, given the location.

Those are usually booked months in advance.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Riverside area is more affordable, Redlands is a cool town. Mountains are 30 minutes away, beach about an hour. You're driving everywhere though and it's hot in the summer.

Do you have a job lined up or even know what type of work you want to do?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

coupbrick posted:

No it's not stop moving here gently caress

Buddy, the entire IE is still one of the fastest growing areas of the nation and it ain't changing any time soon.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Why do public officials feel the need to comment on communities called "niggertown" using screen names with their real names in them?

Why are they all this stupid?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

She said a family member spent $1,000,000 on a townhouse...in Anaheim...

I'm looking on Zillow and there's isn't a single Townhome in Anaheim over $600k so that's impossible. There's aren't even any houses for that much.

Now if she meant Anaheim Hills/Yorba Linda, that could get pricey.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm up in Tahoe today, loving gorgeous right now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Grand Prize Winner posted:

You could talk about how much we dislike outsiders (outsiders being anyone who moved to the city six months or more after you did)

California is probably the least prone to this. Every other goddamn state does the dumb "sorry were all full har har" joke

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Elyv posted:

Yeah, these record-breaking temperatures up here in the Bay Area is distinctly uncool. Is the same poo poo happening in SoCal?

Was 118 yesterday so it's not all that bad

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 2, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Just got rhe utilities bill for the last 2 months. I dunno, $400 seems reasonable to not feel lile I'm in an oven all night right fellas?

I will pay anything to not be burning alive

(This is for a single month, it's what prompted me to finally get solar)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

If you consider cooling costs, is the IE actually more affordable?

Depends. My electric bill is about 25% higher, my gas and commuting costs are more but my mortgage is literally half what it was in Orange County for a bigger, newer house.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Hmm didn't realize they cost that much less.

My power bill was $157 last month - the highest its been in the two summers I've been here. And I work at home so I'm actually running the AC all day, but I keep it on 76. I know the new windows I installed last year and the attic insulation this year has been making a difference.

The IE was hit especially hard in the recession and housing still hasn't recovered to peak prices yet while OC and LA have blown past that already. Some of the nicer parts of IE like Chino, Eastvale, Norco and Rancho are increasing faster than other parts but just last year both of my wife's sisters bought 3-bed houses in Riverside for around $300k. Not bad areas either.

There's also a ton of land close to LA and OC that's still open. All the dairy farms in Ontario and Chino are slowing being turned into development. Ontario alone is looking to add 200k residents over the next 20 years. There's not a big housing shortage that putting pressure on prices, they'r building houses as fast as they can right now.

Summers are hot and traffic sucks but I'm liking a lot of what the IE has to offer.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 3, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

el dorito posted:

I insist on being close to the beach

even though I've never actually set foot on it for decades

but hey, at least I can take a scenic route on the pch while doing errands

I took a train to San clemente last week. It was nice!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Corona/Anaheim Hills on fire again, same area as two weeks ago but heading the opposite direction (towards some very expensive houses). Wind gusts up to 60mph too!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

el dorito posted:

stay safe tourist goon!!

lol you picked a real bad time to visit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

What do they do if the float drivers have to poo poo? Do they have a bucket or just drop one on the parade route?

• Locked thread