Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
You can solve that problem by converting to the church of chinese cleaver.

O CCK, we call upon your small cleaver in our time of sorrow,
That You give us the strength and will to cut through our heavy
burdens, until we can again feel the warmth and love of
Your divine slicing. Be mindful of us and have mercy
on us while we struggle to slice life's hardships.

Keep us ever in Your claw grip, til we can chop again with
light hearts and renewed spirits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Aren't those pretty much the same as the ones CKTG offers for $3 except with the corners rounded?
I bought a few of the CKTG ones and dremeled them into fitting the handles on some of my knives for transportation. The Tojiro bread knife has a dedicated one because it stays on the bread box.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I've got plenty of dents in my Tojiro DP gyuto, hasn't stopped it being an amazing knife.

I call mine the tomato skin grabbing upgrade.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Next time my mom visits I am going to hide my knives and getting the cheapest most disposable chef + paring knife I can find, caught her chopping into bone with my Tojiro Gyuto :stonk:, and she nicked it last time she visited too and said "me abuse the knife... never I don't know what you're talking about".

I swear to god, the goddamn Kiwi meat cleaver IS RIGHT THERE ON THE drat MAGNETIC STRIP.

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 3, 2015

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

Victorinox fibrox

Nono, cheaper, found a $15 set of chef + paring.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

bunnielab posted:

I want a little waterstone to travel with. Sometimes a I like to get drunk and sharpen my pocket knife in hotel rooms. I have a "medium" grit oil stone but it sucks to work with dry and using water with it doesn't seem to help. I have never really found a small (like cigarette lighter sized) waterstone before but maybe I was looking in the wrong places?

DMT has a set of tiny ones.
http://www.amazon.com/DMT-W7EFC-Diamond-Whetstone-Stone/dp/B00004WFTD/

What you're looking for is ski sharpening stones.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

bunnielab posted:

Those mini stones are perfect!

Also, people sharpen skies?

And snowboards!

Basically it's restoring the edge profile... that's kinda like sharpening.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

In the related videos suggested for me, I watched a man process a whole cow in under 12 minutes with what looked like a dinner knife (actually a boning knife), a small meathook, and a honer. It was glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MRuCLXxqjs

I know very little of butchery but that seemed very sloppy to me.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

So I have and enjoy a large CCK but wanna splurge on a Moritaka, Kiritsuke is the way to go, right?

e: also just saw that Shun blue series, it looks nice and it's clad Aogami #2, not that I would buy it but at least Shun's doing a nice clad steel now.

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 31, 2015

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Good god, another price bump to the small CCK.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

guppy posted:

I got mine when it was $60, but at $70 -- for that matter, even at the previous price -- I have to wonder: Is the Dexter-Russell vision (currently $25ish at Amazon) a better recommendation to people considering picking up a Chinese chef's knife?

Not sure you can do this with the Dexter-Russel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOumJ0B1Cj8

And have the edge last.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Well, this is one way to review the Tojiro DP Gyuto :nms: (gore).

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 6, 2015

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

.Z. posted:

Chinese cleaver video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP6JG0OPbJM

Can't remember if this has been posted or not.

Why do I have a boner after watching this?

e: also, dat patina.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Tojiro 270mm ITK Bread Knife: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkbrkn.html
Awesome knife, super cheap but also pretty huge.

I have this and it's amazeballs, hands down the best utility/bread I've used.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

I have a coarse DMT plate (the cheaper yellow DuoSharp ones) that I use for lapping (and for re-profiling/chip removal work), they work pretty well.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yup, they fit right in, they come with a metal backing with the triangular tabs pre attached, you can see it on them here: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shprostforep.html

I'd recommend something like a 1k+4k and optionally a 500 for reprofiling.

For repro work I'd get the CKTG 140 plate because it's way too cheap not to. (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ck140grdiplf.html )

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

angor posted:

Solid. Will place an order tomorrow for probably the 320 and 1k. Cheers!

I would go for the :10bux: house brand diamond 140 and the 1K personally.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Cor Geal posted:

The guide to using it told me to run a marker all the way along the edge and set the angle of the stone so that a single pass removes the ink perpendicular to the edge. Measuring with a protractor that comes out at near 15 degrees, not quite I think.

Keep in mind that different stone thicknesses need to be taken into account. If you don't have the collar you need to do it by hand.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Cor Geal posted:

What collar are you referring to? I measured the angle between the face of the stone and the spine of the knife as 15 degrees.

Check the videos on this: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/5drstcowhexk.html

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

mindphlux posted:

goddamnit

you made me buy a loving $30 digital magnetic angle cube you fag

A fool and his money something something... :v:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Glockamole posted:

My kitchen is the size of my old apartment. Four people could comfortably work in it with room for another to do dishes. It's almost awesome enough to make up for living in West Virginia.
My concern for length is more control of the knife than space. I feel like I wouldn't be able to control the tip very well for fine work. I'm open to being convinced that I'm wrong about that.
Also, a general question about wa-gyuto. How do versions with western style slab handles and a full tang handle compared to ones with a hidden or partial tang?

I have never had any issue with tip control on a 270mm when using a claw grip. Then again, I don't have issues with tip control on a CCK large when using a claw grip so :iiam:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

TATPants posted:

I suspected that might be the case. I just thought it was a bit odd that the chef's knife had the asymmetry but the santoku's edge was even.

Was it urasuki or just a normal asymmetric grind (back bevel)?

Urasuki:

deimos fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 22, 2015

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Yeah the only time I've ever left stuff covering my fancy knives was when I've had accidents with them and the coating is my blood and I am in the emergency room getting stitches.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Broletariat posted:

Can someone explain what a "honyaki" knife is?

Usually japanese knives are "clad" that is a very hard metal that makes up the edge surrounded by a softer metal. Honyaki is the whole blade made from the same metal.

Here's an illustration of cladding: http://zknives.com/knives/articles/jpnknifecladtypes.shtml

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Mr. Wookums posted:

Anyone know a vendor that has the glass stones in stock for the edgepro?

If I remember right Shapton makes those specifically for CKTG (because Mark asked them to cast it for him).

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Mr. Wookums posted:

Nuts. Guess I'll just get to Amazon Chosera then.

FWIW I use diamond plates for my low grits and Shaptons for high grits (1000+), the Shaptons barely get worn, the main advantage of Shaptons are for extremely hard metals (63+ish HRC I think is when it's noticeable). So Choseras should be ok and last you a long time.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

SubG GrAviTy84 (I think it was him I checked, it's Gravity, click the link for his posts about them in this thread) is more familiar with them but GEKKO makes knives that hit all your requirements and are good quality. Ebay is a decent source. You want either the VG10 or 19c27 knives.

deimos fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 5, 2016

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Don't buy a set would be feedback #1, right along with you get what you pay for, that's an unknown knife for the price similar to that of a Tojiro DP which if you get from a less than reputable source will have not insignificant flaws.

e: correction, they're not significant flaws, they're better described as "not insignificant"

deimos fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 18, 2016

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Murgos posted:

You are wrong. A chefs knife is not an all in one does everything best tool.

There is a reason why if you buy a "Tomato knife" from a high end knife maker (Shun, Wustof, JA Henkels etc...) it's serrated and similarly for bread knives.

It just works better.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HIVet_2wW4

Also CdC, shuttup, you'll pry my Tojiro ITK Bread Knife from my cold dead hands.

Murgos posted:

e: VVV So what? Now you do that every time you need to slice a tomato and let me know how loving bored you are of sharpening your knife for 30 minutes to slice a tomato.

A Moritaka will do that for months after a sharpening with just proper maintenance (ceramic (or borosilicate) "honing" every week for my home use, the restaurant's chefs hone daily).

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 28, 2016

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Gladly, I've been meaning to get one anyways.

e: also lol at Shun, Wusthof, Henckel, etc. being high end knife makers.

Actually, I am pretty sure what makes the ITK so great at general utility is the fact that it's more blade than serration.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

There are also countertop generic magnetic blocks.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Jarmak posted:

That's what I have now, though during the home inspection I found I place I might be able to mount it... so maybe not all is lost.

Though to be fair I find it almost too strong, everytime I put my takeda nakiri on the thing I have a small heart attack cause it loving slams no matter how gently I try to place it up there, at least with my other knives I can attach it toward the point and then slide it into place.

Am I worrying too much?

I slide my knives into my magblok by laying them on the backing tile on their spine and rotating them until they thud into the magnet.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

SLAMMYsosa posted:

In the market for a couple of kitchen knives now that my girlfriend has started a new job and finds a couple of her current knives lacking.

She has a ~10" Sabatier chef's knife she is looking to upgrade. She thinks she wants something with a thinner blade than that. From talking with coworkers, she thinks that might mean a Japanese knife. Ideally it would be an entry- to mid-level knife that is nice enough to be serviceable and help her appreciate the differences between it and the old knife, but not so nice that the investment requires that she be stuck with it forever.

The other knife she is looking to upgrade is her deboner. She has a super low quality one that just isn't demolishing crates of chickens the way she needs it to. I'm not sure of the brand she has now, but it's pretty rear end. Looking to replace it with something quality where we will get the best bang for our buck.

Moritaka KS & Richmond Ultimatum profiles are copies of Masamoto KS which is modeled after the typical Sabatier profile. Start there for the Sabatier (Moritaka is probably the best bang for the buck for carbon steel, Richmond is the only stainless option).

As far as a deboner goes, can I interest you in the word of our Lord and savior Chinese cleaver?

Otherwise it's going to be upto her to look for a boner profile she likes and go from there.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Consider the alternative: hanzo steel shattering as it hits the cold unforgiving floor because of weak magnets.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

lmao if your knives are so dull dropping them on the floor wouldn't result in just the handle sticking out of the ground

My floors are concrete with tile. :shrug:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Mr. Wookums posted:

lol if you don't catch your knives with your foot by reflex

You only do that once.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Scott808 posted:

If you like sharpening jigs, boy does some guy in Russia have a thing for you...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3SbEWFSA8s

For the machining on that thing $350 seems cheap.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Kenji shills for them, right?

Kenji got a pre-production sample.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

From what I've read (about AUS-8 not anything about this case in particular) it could be real AUS-8 but lovely heat treatment. Chinese manufacturing skimping or loving up process because it wasn't specified properly is not unheard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Thoht posted:

He's sort of full of poo poo about hard knives being hard to sharpen as well. It has way more to do with the geometry and the abrasion resistance imo. My easiest knife to sharpen is my 66hrc blue #1 konosuke gyuto, which is nice and thin behind the edge. My previous Wusthof chef knife on the other hand was a pain in the rear end.

I think as far as generalizations go it's a fairly forgivable one, yes there are exceptions but for the average home cook, and average knives, sharpening is magic and softer is easier. You have to keep in mind that knives we discuss in this thread are, generally speaking, outliers for a home cook.

e: To be clear, I am playing devil's advocate and holding off on calling out Kenji as a shill until he posts a production unit review.

deimos fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 1, 2016

• Locked thread