Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Does anyone have any experience with Shun's attempts to re-shape a knife that's had a bit of it's tip broken off? Less than two loving weeks after getting a new knife it got jostled off my loving cutting board and onto the goddamn floor, and nearly 1/8" of the loving tip got snapped the gently caress off. This isn't covered by warranty, but they say they are happy to attempt to re-shape the blade, and I'm wondering it it's worth sending it to them and risking it being irrecoverably altered, or if I should just use it as is, since the rest of it isn't damaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Kylaer posted:

For my own curiosity, what makes it a rockers' knife? The shape of the blade looks like pretty much the same as the other knives in that post. I'd like to understand these things better.

I'm curious about this as well.

Also, if what you're looking for is just a workhorse, I'd care less about how the finish will look. I understand that we all want a knife that looks nice on top of performing well, but I always put performance first, and if the finish isn't 100% my ideal aesthetically or it's likely to develop a lot of patina, I'm willing to overlook it if the knife feels and performs exactly how I'd like.

Speaking of workhorses, can anyone recommend a boning knife that can stand up to lots of de-boning chickens and cleaning up beef ribs on basically a daily basis? I'm getting sick of using the cheap house de-boners at work, since they get beat up and run through the dishwasher and a pull-through sharpener all the time.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I don't mind the blade profile on my 8" shun and it's comfortable in the hand for long hours, but it absolutely does not have the edge retention I expected it to have. I can put a lovely edge on it at factory angles, use it carefully, keep it dry, and give it the occasional hone on a smooth rod, and it still just goes back to taking an unsafe amount of force to slice into a bell pepper's skin in about two weeks. The more I have to deal with the issue the more I'm tempted to just buy a quality gyuto and move up to 240mm and leave the shun at home.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

My Gyutos, a Shiro Kamo R2 240mm and a Konosuke Ginsan 240mm, both keep their edges for 4-6 months so you might have some better results with higher end knives. I will note that I'm a home cook cooking 4-6 nights a week, so this is lower usage than a line cook or something. One thing to note, the Konosuke is pretty delicate, the Kamo seems much more suited to heavy use, especially since it's made of steel meant to have very high edge retention.

I've been eyeing the Shiro Kamo R2 240 for a while now, it seems like everything I want in a knife for work. I really just need to decide I'm willing to throw down that kind of money on a knife, especially one that will have to survive being in close proximity to my sloppy-rear end coworkers.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I hope you guys are ready to ditch your fancy, expensive japanese knives, because the best knife on the planet is here!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/45956812/knasa-chef-knife-inspired-by-nasa-patented-technol

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Planet X posted:

My parents have a chunk of quartz countertop that could be used As a block / cutting board. Will using this dull my knives prematurely? Thinking of bringing it home.

Using quartz (or any other stone) as a cutting board will dull your knives very very quickly, and can also chip and break them. Never use stone for a cutting board, get an end cut wood one or a plastic one.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Hey Knife Thread, long time no see.

Many months ago, I came to this thread in search of a knife for my partner. Several posters recommended this one to me: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tavgnagy21.html

Unfortunately, surprise work issues at the time prevented me from buying it and the plan was eventually tabled while we moved. Meanwhile, the gyuto got discounted and sold out early this fall- and I haven't been able to find it anywhere online since.

I'd like to get my partner something similar and I'm willing to spend a bit more (let's say $200-$250 total, though less is good too) if I have to. Any suggestions?

I feel your pain, CKTG does not seems to restock quickly once something sells out, though when you're talking about handmade Japanese knives, it's pretty understandable.

That being said, buy the Shiro Kamo knife that A Very Large Radish recommended, not because I have any personal experience with any of the knives in that post, but because a part of me hopes that if enough Shiro Kamo knives get sold, CKTG will make and order from them that includes the 270mm R2 gyuto so that I can buy one, because man do I need that prep monster in my life and the wait is killing me.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Got one of these for Christmas, much to my surprise:
https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell-S5288-Heavy-Duty-Cleaver/dp/B0019KATWY

No idea what I'm gonna do with it since I don't do a lot of butchery with large cuts, but I may have to start now. This thing is hefty as gently caress, it feels beastly in the hand. It's 1/4 thick all the way down the spine and through the tang, no joke.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I have one of these that I got as a gift a few years ago, and it's been a really solid knife for me, but I don't have any experience with any of their other products.

http://www.zwillingonline.com/31648180.html

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Grabbed this beat up 10" Old Hickory knife at a thrift store for $2. I doubt it'll ever be a fantastic piece, but it seems like a fun project to clean it up. I should probably put a new handle on it.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It has a nice edge profile.

It does have that. Not a full tang, so it's fairly blade heavy. Also, the last ~2" of the tip end are slightly not straight. If it got bent at some point in its life or if it was just never perfectly straight are probably equally likely, given what the internet tells me about Ontario Old Hickory knives. It'll make for decent sharpening practice though.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Biaga posted:

Carbon French style. It's pretty. I wouldn't replace the handle, just replace the pin, If the wood is in good condition and not super cracked (major cracks or splintering) I would just wash, sand and reoil it. No reason to replace. The carbon steel lacks a lot of rust, so it's not something that's too terrible. I can suggest some blade cleaner if you want to clean it up, though some people don't really like to do that. Curious to see if it has any makers stamps or marks.

Pretty good condition.

Where do you live if you don't mind me asking?

South Dakota. The handle is already gone, and I've cleaned up the whole thing with bar keeper's friend. The handle portion of the metal was really gunked up with stuff that had gotten inside the wood handle. The blade itself has a little pitting, but it's not actively rusty, I just got all of the built up black gunk that was caked on off it. I have access to a wood shop, so I'll probably just get a hardwood floor sample from a building supply place and cut it roughly to shape, and get a few rivets. My thought was to get the rough handle on it, put a not-wobbly and lovely edge on it (guess what it has on it now!) then tape off the blade and finish sanding, polishing, and conditioning the new handle, then finish/polish the edge.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Biaga posted:

If you manage to clear out the gunk on the blade and any makers mark are visible, could you pleaser post a picture?

No maker's marks at all, just those lines on the flat that all of them have, though they seem shallower than they look in some of the pictures online I've been able to find, so who knows if there were at any point that have seen been ground out. It's clear from some of the gouging near the edge that this thing has had contact with power tools in it's life. TBH, looking down the edge, I think the whole blade may be warped, not just a wobbly sharpening job. I'll find out when I go to re-edge it.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Biaga posted:

Would you mind taking a picture of it again now that its cleaned? I work closely with a number of French Knife making families and from your current pictures, there are a lot of evidence of French (French influenced) knife craft.

Sure thing. Here's an imgur album that shows a better look at the blade profile, a couple shots of the lack of straightness, and an overall shot of each side.
http://imgur.com/a/UeLjH

E: I think the rivet holes are 5/32 wide, just guessing from putting a tape measure up next to them. I snagged a little chunk of oak to make a handle from, I've just got to find the appropriate rivets at this point.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 20, 2017

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Here's a knife I picked up at an estate sale up the street from me. I had it sharpened today, what's the best way to clean the metal?

I don't see any rust, so I'd say it doesn't need to be cleaned up any further.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The zwilling/henkels Kramer chef knives are options for my wedding registry. Any reason why I shouldn't put a 10" chef knife on there with the hopes that someone bites, and should I go with the carbon or the damascus? Supposedly the carbon is a touch thinner and more flexible at the tip, but I've also never had carbon before, and I know at my last kitchen I wouldn't have wanted to deal with it. On the other hand, the damascus one is gorgeous and probably just as serviceable for the most part. That being said, I currently work at a place where I'd be a fool to bring my own knives, so either way it'd be babied at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

fart simpson posted:

How’s chef knives to go treating you these days?

He's not wrong about it being the "everyone who has a question should just get a torijro" thread, but go ahead and pretend his occasional misunderstanding regarding an unrelated question invalidates anything else he says, clearly it's a helpful and informative position to take.

• Locked thread