Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
That knife isn't sharp dude. It's practically serrated.

No idea on the maker, looks like cheap stamped metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

When is is going to become common knowledge that a properly sharpened chef's knife is the best tool for just about any job, especially bread and tomatoes?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

deimos posted:

Also CdC, shuttup, you'll pry my Tojiro ITK Bread Knife from my cold dead hands.

Gladly, I've been meaning to get one anyways.

e: also lol at Shun, Wusthof, Henckel, etc. being high end knife makers.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have what may be the same knife in a different finish. I really like it. It is low quality in terms of the finish of the steel, but it holds an edge nicely and feels good in my hand. The rest is just character. I haven't done anything to the handle. Wasn't aware I was supposed to.

99% sure that is the same sticker that was on my Tojiro ITK knives.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Even taking into account F&F, Tojiros are the best bang for buck, period.

With some knowledge, a Tojiros ITK can be just as good as a custom Moritaka.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Globals are the only knife that are immediately uncomfortable to hold. e: And also the Ken Onion knives, and AB angles, and basically any knife that tries to be "ergonomic"

The Western style handle, the D, and the octagonal are standard in high end cutlery for a reason.

e: also, someone broke the tip of my petty, so now I have a tiny santoku

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 27, 2016

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

deimos posted:

As far as a deboner goes, can I interest you in the word of our Lord and savior Chinese cleaver?

Cleavers are for veggies, not bones.

Get a honesuki or hankotsu for poultry/small to medium fish.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I don't know where this myth of not using a steel on Japanese knives started, but it isn't true.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Most Japanese knives come with a standard 50/50 grind these days. I hone my Tojiro DP on a standard metal steel daily for work, and have no issues whatsoever.

Even if it were an assymetrical grind, you could still hone it.

Nope, going with some idiot 'expert' on the internet didn't know what he was talking about and the average person bought it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Tojiros are my workhorse knives. They take an edge quickly, and can plow though daily prep. I have HAP40 knives, spring steel, carbon, etc. The tojiro constantly do exactly what I need with little fuss.

Are they the best? Absolutely not. Do they work the best? 9 times out of 10 you won't be disappointed.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm going to be in Japan and am thinking about picking up a knife. I have a pretty good santoku right now as my main, but I miss having a nice pointed tip to work with. I have a lovely little paring knife that does what I need it to do, and a lovely old knife for whacking through bones. What would you add to this? I can pick up a serious cleaver any time (I'm in China). I'm thinking either a good paring knife or a gyuto and then retiring the santoku to just chopping duty.

Get a Moritaka gyuto. Bonus points if you get a hilariously huge one like Ricola.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

E: I am now discovering there are depths of kitchen knife sperg forums. They seem to think Moritakas are unreliably made and most of them are crap.

Cheap Moritakas are like cheap Tojiro's. They're made by apprentices and are roughly finished.

Other brands you could get as a "lifetime" knife: Kanehide, Kohetsu, Kikuichi, Konosuke, Masakage.

I have a Kanehide, Kohetsu, and Konosuke. All great knifes with good fit and finish.

I still plan on ordering a 330mm Moritaka kiritsuke, extra tall. Last time I inquired they quoted me around $220 USD without a handle.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Handle is beautiful, and probably the perfect size for my dainty hands.

I don't care for so much belly/curve in the blade, and I dislike that little curve back you have on the heel.

What material and hardness?

I've been wanting to get into knife making myself, I'll have to check out the DIY thread.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Why do people keep trying to reinvent the wheel?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mindphlux posted:

don't listen to the internet about bread knives. get a serrated german knife to cut bread. you don't need to spend a ton of money. you will be happy.

No, get an offset serrated to cut bread. Preferably a cheap SYSCO or Dexter. Never spend :20bux: on bread knives.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Just check chefknivestogo's clearance section. Nothing they carry is bad, and you'll probably get a decent discount.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Chef's knife will work fine.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Scott808 posted:

There's a guy on a different forum who had a Kohetsu HAP40 who bought it because the CKTG forum said it was pretty much the best thing ever and he said it turned out to be the worst knife he ever bought, it cut like crap and had several issues and CKTG wasn't interested in any after sales support.

Never used it myself, so I have no opinion either way on the knife.

The Kohetsu HAP40 is a good knife. Some people that buy expensive knives don't know how to care for them. See: my old exec chef. Thousands in knives, couldn't keep his poo poo sharp to save his life.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I tipped my big gently caress off knife and I'm not sure if I want to grind from the top and keep all the flat or from the bottom or have more of a curve and do just the tip edge. Nuclear option is to reprofile the whole edge by half a mm.

Just do it from the top.

Rehandled my Tojiros in Maple yesterday, looking good imo.

Gonna slap a western handle on my Goko today I think, I've been dealing with that right handed D handle for far too long. And I've got a few nice pieces of cedar that would be a bitchin dark red after staining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mindphlux posted:

I really think we should remake the knife thread

I'm so tired of people coming in here being like "I don't know what I should get, should I get a Tojiro DP????"

the OP is basically uninformative, lists "Tojiro DP" for like every knife category, I don't know who the hell the poster is.

I'll go ahead and nominate SubG as the most suited person to remake the knife thread. I'll do it if need be.

Kinfolk Jones - check out MAC santokus. they are my absolute favs. my wife is tiny, they are her favorites as well.

The new advice is go buy a $10ish veggie cleaver for veg prep, a petty if you need to do fine work, and break down chickens, and a 6-10in gyuto for everything else.

But yeah, just buy a Tojiro DP, or watch ck2g for closeouts/seconds/open box.

• Locked thread