Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theturtle
Apr 19, 2016

SubG posted:

I mean it's your cash, your kitchen, your karma. But if you're blind-buying something to whack veg a couple days a week a goddamn US$40 Victorinox chef knife is going to be more knife than you really need.

Thanks for the sensible advice. This thought had crossed my mind as well. Just got a bit obsessed with knives and umm as you guys say 'sperged out'. This seemed like the "sensible" cheaper blade lol. 200$ isn't grave concern but probably way more than a newbie like me needs. I'll see if I can find a Tojiro DP on sale somewhere that sharpens. Seems CKTG is out of stock. I had planned on getting them to do all my sharpening for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

emotive posted:

I've been thinking about getting a knife with this style and came across this one -- anyone ever use it?

http://www.amazon.com/Kotobuki-Teruhisa-Nakiri-Japanese-Kitchen/dp/B009NEFGEY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

The handle is raw, so I'd have to oil or epoxy it, but the reviews seem great.

I've got a Carter nakiri, and it mows through veggies with ease. However I'm usually doing a lot more than just veggies so it gets less use than my regular chef's knife. If you want a specialized veggie knife go for it. That particular stainless steel knife won't stay as sharp for as long as one with a core made from high carbon steel. And for $20 I wouldn't freak out over trying to maintain the handle on it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

theturtle posted:

Thanks for the sensible advice. This thought had crossed my mind as well. Just got a bit obsessed with knives and umm as you guys say 'sperged out'. This seemed like the "sensible" cheaper blade lol. 200$ isn't grave concern but probably way more than a newbie like me needs. I'll see if I can find a Tojiro DP on sale somewhere that sharpens. Seems CKTG is out of stock. I had planned on getting them to do all my sharpening for the time being.

the only reason you're considering buying a tojiro DP (on the internet) is because you sperged out about it (on the internet).

go to a real store, cut some carrots with real knives irl. go to a williams sonoma or bed bath and beyond or whatever, and feel the difference between a wusthof, shun, and whatever else they have.

then ask yourself 'do I really want to buy a knife, sight unseen, from some place on the internet'.

theturtle
Apr 19, 2016
Very true, I appreciate it, I plan to. It's too bad there isn't a place I can check out a Japanese knife locally. I initially just didn't want something that was poo poo and ended up getting enamored by all the sparkly knives ;)
After going I foresee probably still buying the Tojiro as I know I like Chef's knives and $70 bucks isn't too much to throw at something to try. If I don't like it I imagine I can sell it. I mean it's not a wife or anything :D

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

theturtle posted:

Very true, I appreciate it, I plan to. It's too bad there isn't a place I can check out a Japanese knife locally. I initially just didn't want something that was poo poo and ended up getting enamored by all the sparkly knives ;)
After going I foresee probably still buying the Tojiro as I know I like Chef's knives and $70 bucks isn't too much to throw at something to try. If I don't like it I imagine I can sell it. I mean it's not a wife or anything :D

buy a shun, wusthof, and MAC off amazon then too, and return all but the one you actually like.

burn all the oil in all the delivery trucks and all the trees in all the discarded packaging materials in the name of allmighty capital

this is democracy. this is now. this is. for you.

theturtle
Apr 19, 2016

mindphlux posted:

buy a shun, wusthof, and MAC off amazon then too, and return all but the one you actually like.

burn all the oil in all the delivery trucks and all the trees in all the discarded packaging materials in the name of allmighty capital

this is democracy. this is now. this is. for you.

Why do you hate America? Maybe I'll buy a Lexus to drive to W&S, buy 2 shuns, Throw them in the street then drive the car into a lake. Then order the Tojiro off Amazon. :D

Edit: Sorry for spamming with this nonsense discussion. Evidently I'm too dumb to find the delete button.

theturtle fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 22, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That may be because there is no delete button

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
data wants to be free

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

I've got a Carter nakiri, and it mows through veggies with ease. However I'm usually doing a lot more than just veggies so it gets less use than my regular chef's knife. If you want a specialized veggie knife go for it. That particular stainless steel knife won't stay as sharp for as long as one with a core made from high carbon steel. And for $20 I wouldn't freak out over trying to maintain the handle on it.

Cool, I'll look into it. All I do cut are veggies, so, I think I'll be happy with a nakiri. I'm using just a standard Victorinox 8" Chefs right now, which does the job but I think I'll be happier with that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

emotive posted:

I've been thinking about getting a knife with this style and came across this one -- anyone ever use it?

http://www.amazon.com/Kotobuki-Teruhisa-Nakiri-Japanese-Kitchen/dp/B009NEFGEY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

The handle is raw, so I'd have to oil or epoxy it, but the reviews seem great.

I have what may be the same knife in a different finish. I really like it. It is low quality in terms of the finish of the steel, but it holds an edge nicely and feels good in my hand. The rest is just character. I haven't done anything to the handle. Wasn't aware I was supposed to.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I mean, you probably don't have to, I'd just be a little concerned about the raw wood getting wet.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have what may be the same knife in a different finish. I really like it. It is low quality in terms of the finish of the steel, but it holds an edge nicely and feels good in my hand. The rest is just character. I haven't done anything to the handle. Wasn't aware I was supposed to.

99% sure that is the same sticker that was on my Tojiro ITK knives.

theturtle
Apr 19, 2016
??? neither of those knives look anything like the one posted. O_o

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I haven't bought new knives in a while -- already have more than enough -- but I went a different route from the Tojiro because everyone talks about how great it is for the money, but then there are posts about the fit and finish being sub-par and even one post about how they need the blade thinned to really shine. I'm sure a lot of it is just people being super finicky, especially the stuff about thinning the blade which sounds insane, but I'd rather just pick up something that people have no complaints out of the box. Like most people I don't really want to have to worry about even minor modifications.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mindphlux posted:

the only reason you're considering buying a tojiro DP (on the internet) is because you sperged out about it (on the internet).
Yeah, Tojiro makes some really good knives for the price point, but blind buying one won't tell you if you prefer lighter Japanese blades to heavier Western-style kitchen knives (Wusthof, Henckels, Sabatier, or whatever). And that's not even getting into poo poo like handle style, grip style, and all that.

I mean it's really no skin off my rear end either way, but until you've got a pretty clear idea about what you want out of a kitchen knife it's a really, really bad idea to buy one blind. Once you have a clear idea about what you want, then it's just a really bad idea. But by then you'll have become a knife sperg and so bad ideas will be the best you can come up with when you're thinking about knives on the internet. One of us, one of us, gobble-gobble, one of us.

theturtle posted:

They're all nakiris.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

theturtle posted:

SubG posted:

They're all nakiris.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. The concept and shape and design of this particular knife is a "nakiri" which is a Japanese vegetable knife. They're good for chopping/slicing a lot of veggies efficiently, but they're not terribly versatile like a chef's knife. The one emotive linked is just a cheap $20 nakiri made from stainless steel. The biggest difference between my ridiculous hand forged Carter (it was a gift btw) and the $20 one is that mine gets ugly rust spots if I don't immaculately wash and dry it after every use. However, the $20 stainless knife will require more frequent sharpening, and won't hold a razor edge as long as the high carbon steel in my knife. I've only ever needed to sharpen my knife once in the years I've had it, when occasional honing didn't bring it back to sharp.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 23, 2016

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

guppy posted:

I haven't bought new knives in a while -- already have more than enough -- but I went a different route from the Tojiro because everyone talks about how great it is for the money, but then there are posts about the fit and finish being sub-par and even one post about how they need the blade thinned to really shine. I'm sure a lot of it is just people being super finicky, especially the stuff about thinning the blade which sounds insane, but I'd rather just pick up something that people have no complaints out of the box. Like most people I don't really want to have to worry about even minor modifications.

I have a Wusthof chefs knife that I've been using for basically 10 years now, it's great. I got a Tojiro about a year ago and I've been using it since. They're both fine, I haven't thinned or sharpened my Tojiro and it does a fantastic job for me out of the box. I use it more than my Wusthof at this point and I think it's fine. I've never wanted to be able to fly through an onion like the dudes on youtube, but the Tojiro does cut through things more smoothly than my Wusthof without any changes. I haven't noticed poo poo about the fit or finish, it seems fine to me. I think it depends very heavily on what you expect a knife to be able to do, I have no frame of reference to say that the Tojiro is underperforming and needs the blade thinned, I just know I can drop a tomato on it and end up with two halves of a tomato and frankly that's good enough for me. I also chop a bit more than I rock so the shape of the Tojiro is nice, it has a bit less of a curve than the Wusthof does.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Even taking into account F&F, Tojiros are the best bang for buck, period.

With some knowledge, a Tojiros ITK can be just as good as a custom Moritaka.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Ordered my cousin a Tojiro DP santoku for his birthday. They definitely have QA issues. The handle has all sorts of imperfections.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

For what it's worth I ordered a Tojiro DP gyuto and don't like it at all due to the way the handle feels. I just can't get comfortable with it. On the other hand the Shun knives I demoed felt amazing in hand, so despite being overpriced for what you get, they're well worth it to me for the fantastic handle.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I really wish I had more options than Williams Sonoma for checking out knives in person. I've looked all over Florida and I can't seem to find any stores that carry a bigger variety of knifes.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, I honestly don't know how you would even go about trying anything but a Shun, Wusthof, Henckels, or Global in person. If I remember right those are the major brands that Williams-Sonoma and Sur La Table carry. Some of the knives people here love (Dojo paring knife, Tojiro DP gyuto) I have no idea how you'd put hands on before buying.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
again, gonna vary regionally - but williams sonoma, bed bath and beyond, sur la table, idk - you just gotta be confident and and really ask to trial them. One williams sonoma I went in even had carrots on hand to chop on. If you're uncomfortable, you can always call ahead and be like "I'm debating between buying these knives, if I came in this afternoon could I try some? What if I bring a bag of carrots?" - they'll let you know if that's a no go, and no harm done.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

again, gonna vary regionally - but williams sonoma, bed bath and beyond, sur la table, idk - you just gotta be confident and and really ask to trial them. One williams sonoma I went in even had carrots on hand to chop on. If you're uncomfortable, you can always call ahead and be like "I'm debating between buying these knives, if I came in this afternoon could I try some? What if I bring a bag of carrots?" - they'll let you know if that's a no go, and no harm done.

At Sur La Table they practically beg you to try out their knives. They have a giant knife station with a giant Boos cutting board and a potato or carrot on hand at all times.

I dunno how you can demo knives at BBB, they don't have a cutting board out to test it on. I don't think there's a point to being able to just hold the knife unless you can also practice cutting with it too.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I don't think there's a point to being able to just hold the knife unless you can also practice cutting with it too.

I dunno, I've held knives that were just immediately uncomfortable to hold. So I'd say it's useful as a way to quickly disqualify the ones you know you'll hate.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Globals are the only knife that are immediately uncomfortable to hold. e: And also the Ken Onion knives, and AB angles, and basically any knife that tries to be "ergonomic"

The Western style handle, the D, and the octagonal are standard in high end cutlery for a reason.

e: also, someone broke the tip of my petty, so now I have a tiny santoku

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 27, 2016

A Banana
Jun 11, 2013
Is it at all sensible to try to buy an off-brand knife block? if so how would I go about ensuring they'll actually fit my knives?

I've been given a set 3 pcs set of global knives and I want somewhere to store them on the counter for easy access, but I don't want to spend the ridiculous amount they're asking for a knife block, and I can't drill into the wall for a magnetic rack.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I really like kapoosh blocks. Universal fit and you can take the guts out and wash it unlike a traditional knife block.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Soiled Meat
I have the Kapoosh universal knife block, I like it a lot but for the first couple months you might have to check your knives every time you pull them out because sometimes a sliver of black plastic will come with them.
http://www.amazon.com/Kapoosh-Ronde...sal+knife+block

There seem to be a bunch of new universal knife blocks all of a sudden, the Eva Solo and Kuhn Rikon one look pretty cool:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dkitchen&field-keywords=universal+knife+block

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I have the Kapoosh universal knife block, I like it a lot but for the first couple months you might have to check your knives every time you pull them out because sometimes a sliver of black plastic will come with them.
http://www.amazon.com/Kapoosh-Ronde...sal+knife+block

I've had a Kapoosh for a couple years now and it's been great. I never had the plastic slivers problem either.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
There are also countertop generic magnetic blocks.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

deimos posted:

There are also countertop generic magnetic blocks.

I got a wall mount magnetic block and just used clear command strips to fix it to my wall, since I rent. It works great and it looks awesome up on my wall.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Has anyone used the countertop mag blocks? I've been using a wall mounted mag block for a while above the kitchen island (more like pennisula I guess) that I house my butcher block on, but we're closing on a house and the new place has a true island. Trying to figure out what I'm going to do now.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I bought a kapoosh and returned in within 12 hours, it didn't work at all for me. angles were all wrong, and capacity was horrible.

I have a two wooden mag-bloks now - http://benchcrafted.com/Magblok.html

0 complaints, they are perfect really.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

mindphlux posted:

I bought a kapoosh and returned in within 12 hours, it didn't work at all for me. angles were all wrong, and capacity was horrible.

I have a two wooden mag-bloks now - http://benchcrafted.com/Magblok.html

0 complaints, they are perfect really.

That's what I have now, though during the home inspection I found I place I might be able to mount it... so maybe not all is lost.

Though to be fair I find it almost too strong, everytime I put my takeda nakiri on the thing I have a small heart attack cause it loving slams no matter how gently I try to place it up there, at least with my other knives I can attach it toward the point and then slide it into place.

Am I worrying too much?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Jarmak posted:

That's what I have now, though during the home inspection I found I place I might be able to mount it... so maybe not all is lost.

Though to be fair I find it almost too strong, everytime I put my takeda nakiri on the thing I have a small heart attack cause it loving slams no matter how gently I try to place it up there, at least with my other knives I can attach it toward the point and then slide it into place.

Am I worrying too much?

I slide my knives into my magblok by laying them on the backing tile on their spine and rotating them until they thud into the magnet.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
In the market for a couple of kitchen knives now that my girlfriend has started a new job and finds a couple of her current knives lacking.

She has a ~10" Sabatier chef's knife she is looking to upgrade. She thinks she wants something with a thinner blade than that. From talking with coworkers, she thinks that might mean a Japanese knife. Ideally it would be an entry- to mid-level knife that is nice enough to be serviceable and help her appreciate the differences between it and the old knife, but not so nice that the investment requires that she be stuck with it forever.

The other knife she is looking to upgrade is her deboner. She has a super low quality one that just isn't demolishing crates of chickens the way she needs it to. I'm not sure of the brand she has now, but it's pretty rear end. Looking to replace it with something quality where we will get the best bang for our buck.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

SLAMMYsosa posted:

In the market for a couple of kitchen knives now that my girlfriend has started a new job and finds a couple of her current knives lacking.

She has a ~10" Sabatier chef's knife she is looking to upgrade. She thinks she wants something with a thinner blade than that. From talking with coworkers, she thinks that might mean a Japanese knife. Ideally it would be an entry- to mid-level knife that is nice enough to be serviceable and help her appreciate the differences between it and the old knife, but not so nice that the investment requires that she be stuck with it forever.

The other knife she is looking to upgrade is her deboner. She has a super low quality one that just isn't demolishing crates of chickens the way she needs it to. I'm not sure of the brand she has now, but it's pretty rear end. Looking to replace it with something quality where we will get the best bang for our buck.

Moritaka KS & Richmond Ultimatum profiles are copies of Masamoto KS which is modeled after the typical Sabatier profile. Start there for the Sabatier (Moritaka is probably the best bang for the buck for carbon steel, Richmond is the only stainless option).

As far as a deboner goes, can I interest you in the word of our Lord and savior Chinese cleaver?

Otherwise it's going to be upto her to look for a boner profile she likes and go from there.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

deimos posted:

As far as a deboner goes, can I interest you in the word of our Lord and savior Chinese cleaver?

Cleavers are for veggies, not bones.

Get a honesuki or hankotsu for poultry/small to medium fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

deimos posted:

I slide my knives into my magblok by laying them on the backing tile on their spine and rotating them until they thud into the magnet.

I normally lay the spine on the top edge of the mag block near the point of the knife, rotate it until it thuds onto the magnet, and then slide it up into position. It works fine for all my knives except the nakiri because it's wide all the way to the tip so even using this method it slams.

Though thinking about it maybe other parts of the block have a slightly weaker magnetic field... maybe I should try to find the weakest point on the block for the nakiri.

• Locked thread