Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Chinese cleaver entry conspicuously absent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professiona...509314849392172

$27! What a bargain!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Invisible Ted posted:

What the gently caress how does that happen?

Not sure if it's what the roommate did, but I know you can do that by trying to cut frozen rock-solid meat with a knife.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Couldn't a silicone baking mat do the same job?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

No Wave posted:

They were actually literally orange o-shaped rings, probably three inches in diameter. I'm assuming they were french in origin and are probably one of those weird things that are widely available there but not at all here.

These would actually probably do the job very nicely:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/weck-replacement-rubber-ring/

Though slightly wider circles would work better for me.

EDIT: Found it! Searched "canning", and indeed, made in France.
http://www.surlatable.com/product/P...1701&origin=pla

Basically, put one on each corner of your cutting board and you're good. Though you can get by with 3.

Haha, jar gaskets?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Just be aware, silicone baking mats are reinforced with fiberglass, and you don't want any of that exposed from an accidental knife cut and getting into your food or skin.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What's wrong with the bolsters? I have a Henckels chef knife and over my time learning to cook I've come to the realization that yeah, it's too thick, but I love the bolster.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think it's called the heel, but I see what you mean

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
No glass, no acrylic, no stone. Just plastic or wood.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Victorinox is good and cheap

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

deimos posted:

Left my Tojiro DP chef's at my brother's accidentally... he returns it with a chip.... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

gently caress it, gonna gift it to him chip and all, I've been CCK convert for a while now.

Was the chip too big to grind off?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What rockwell hardness was the tortilla chip

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
How hard would it be to recolor the handle of a CCK to be black

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Those are different styles of paring knife, yes. I particularly like the sheepshoof one, the curved one on the bottom. I don't know what use the topmost is, but it might excel for small cutting work on veggies, etc. It would certainly work well for cutting cheese.

Sheep's hoof/sheep's foot is actually the top one. The bottom one is a hawk's bill/bird's beak.

I personally love the sheep's foot the most, the forward tip makes it much more useful in "small" knifework, like cleaning shrimp, and I like the straighter edge when it comes to peeling vegetables. I'm not really sure why you'd want the chef's knife shape, since you're not rocking a paring knife for anything, right?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is there something special about the CCK cleaver or can I pick up any old cleaver from Chinatown?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I got this one. Used the steak knives I sharpened with it last night and they cut through rib eye like it was tenderloin. Very pleased with the result and a lot easier than the spyderco sharp maker.

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-...ywords=edge+pro

I got this for myself because of your post. Couldn't sleep last night so I finally used it on all my knives. It was a little intimidating at first but once you figure it out the first time a lightbulb goes off in your head and it's super easy afterwards. Why did I even bother with pull-through sharpeners and wetstones. My knives feel like the Green Destiny now.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 4, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey where do you guys buy the springs for your edge fauxs?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey is this a good deal

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Costco.

edit: the 6 piece set is $270 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Shun-VBS0600-6-Piece-Basic-Block/dp/B00BQ83GPG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424758425&sr=8-1&keywords=shun+sora+set

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Can anyone recommend a good chinese chef knife that's not the CKTG CCK? $70 is ridiculous.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

deimos posted:

I have this and it's amazeballs, hands down the best utility/bread I've used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvNs4zB6zXg
WOM WOM WOM WOM WUBWUBWUBWUB

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
So I have a Viet-mom (my friend's mom) who cooks for me once a week and teaches me a lot of things. She's an amazing cook but she has lovely $3 knives that are as sharp as butter knives and they're concaved all to hell because she just rubs them on a sharpening stone and only sharpened the middles for years.

I bought her a bunch of replacement knives, but she refused to accept them because she's old and Asian and that means she's also superstitious, and one of the old Asian superstitions is that you don't give knives as gifts because it represents severing your friendship.

So I decided to try to reprofile her existing knives. Rubbed them on concrete for a while before discovering that rubbing them on a metal file did the job a lot faster. About 5-10 minutes later (wow this steel must be soft) I got the concave edge rubbed out, then ran them through the Edge Faux.

Old knife on the left, straightened one on the right.

I'm sure they'll be dull in a week again, she always stores them in a drawer full of other metal utensils and they get tossed around like a salad. But at least they'll be straight!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 4, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'll do that for the next one

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What's the name for that problem?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It's new so nobody has experience with it.

You're gonna have to be our Guinea pig.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Honing only straightens the very edge of the blade, it doesn't sharpen.

You need to get it sharpened, either A) professionally or B) learn to use a $30 AGPTek sharpener from Amazon

I think Victorinox comes from the factory with a 15° edge, which is not your typical 20° edge for western knives. Since it's not Japanese hardness I'd go with 20° when I got it resharpened.

You need to make sure it never goes in the dishwasher or stored somewhere where its edge can bang into other things

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

extravadanza posted:

I posted an $18 sharpener in the previous page, but won't be able to test it out until the end of the month (it's shipping). I'll be testing it on a OXO stainless santoku. I'm anticipating receiving an actual good chef's knife for christmas this year from my parents, which has spurred my interest in sharpening.

I'm anxious to see your review. The suction cup feet look more stable than the AGPTek's base

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
How difficult is it to thin a chinese chef knife? I have my eye on one that's cheap but a little thick.

Do I just thin the first inch of the knife or do I thin the whole thing?

How much would a knife shop charge to do it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
So how much work is it to thin a Chinese chef knife from 3mm to 2.2mm

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is it dremelable

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Broletariat posted:

Is that CCK cleaver still a steal at 70$ or is there a better option now that the price has gone up so much?

This seems to be a pretty popular alternative:
http://www.amazon.com/Wok-Shop-Vegetable-Cleaver/dp/B00018U1J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449516451&sr=8-1&keywords=wok+shop+vegetable+cleaver

A few goons have bought it and said it was pretty good

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
AGPTek glides with no problem. I also rinse the stones.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Part of the reason why I want to thin this knife is to get more hands-on knowledge of knife work. It's educational!

Right now it's impressively sharp and nimble enough to peel an apple despite its ridiculous hugeness, but gets wedged pretty hard in an onion. I figure I'm gonna thin different parts in stages to see how it affects performance.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 8, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It's 3mm at the spine, and tapers to the edge.

My meat cleaver is also 3mm, but it stays 3mm all the way until half an inch before the edge.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I was just listening to the Cooking Issues podcast and there was an episode where Dave Arnold mentioned that Japanese knives often have an asymmetrical bevel

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Uhh is there such a thing as a knife being too sharp? I just got a steal on a new Henckels pro knife and it sticks to my cutting boards whenever I use it, both the plastics and the bamboo board.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well the bamboo is really just for presenting roasts. I just use plastic on a regular basis.

Is wood better for resisting knife sticking?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Either should be fine. Just get one without a bulky finger guard, they'll get in the way when you sharpen (I think both are phasing out bulky finger guards in their newer lines)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Klyith posted:

Wusthofs have a lot of belly / curve to them. If you are a dedicated rocking chopper who likes an exaggerated curve you will like it. If you do other types of cutting motion they kinda suck. Henckles isn't quite so german with the profile on most of their chef's knives (some are though, they have a ton of models).

The most recent Henckels Pro 38401 has a much more pronounced belly on it than their usual profile

They also have a different Henckels Pro 38411 which, as far as I can tell, is a Sur La Table exclusive, and has a less pronounced belly.

They really look almost the same though so I was able to get one for half price because they were trying to clear out the 38401's and put the clearance sticker on the 38411 which I preferred. When I pointed out the mistake they gave me an additional discount I guess.

So yeah, too many knifes.

guppy posted:

Most of mine are Japanese knives, other than my Victorinox chef's and paring, but I sometimes worry that they're actually less versatile because they're so hard. I worry that I'll chip the blade on a stray bone, or on a hard squash, or whatever.

It might be a good idea to have one thin whippy Japanese knife and one beater western knife so that you don't have to worry about damaging your Japanese knife on bones and other hard objects

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Hey one of my knives has a crack in the handle. Is there something I can use to seal it up and keep water/food particles out of it?

• Locked thread