Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay, so apply superglue, rub it into the crack and over and around the crack.. is it something I'll have to sand smooth after?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So for some reason the price of Victorinox knives has skyrocketed. Would Tramontina restaurant kitchen knives (the ones with the white handles) be a good substitute?

http://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-Co...tina+chef+knife

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just ran into this on Amazon. Anyone have one/can comment? I trust the brand.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015ZQSOQ

Mainly I'm curious what the thickness is

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just ran into this on Amazon. Anyone have one/can comment? I trust the brand.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015ZQSOQ

I might be too late, but it says it's 1 pound. I got an Update chinese 8" knife that's 13.5 ounces and I think it's too thick (I'm going to put an angle grinder to it later to thin it)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

again, gonna vary regionally - but williams sonoma, bed bath and beyond, sur la table, idk - you just gotta be confident and and really ask to trial them. One williams sonoma I went in even had carrots on hand to chop on. If you're uncomfortable, you can always call ahead and be like "I'm debating between buying these knives, if I came in this afternoon could I try some? What if I bring a bag of carrots?" - they'll let you know if that's a no go, and no harm done.

At Sur La Table they practically beg you to try out their knives. They have a giant knife station with a giant Boos cutting board and a potato or carrot on hand at all times.

I dunno how you can demo knives at BBB, they don't have a cutting board out to test it on. I don't think there's a point to being able to just hold the knife unless you can also practice cutting with it too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I have the Kapoosh universal knife block, I like it a lot but for the first couple months you might have to check your knives every time you pull them out because sometimes a sliver of black plastic will come with them.
http://www.amazon.com/Kapoosh-Ronde...sal+knife+block

There seem to be a bunch of new universal knife blocks all of a sudden, the Eva Solo and Kuhn Rikon one look pretty cool:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dkitchen&field-keywords=universal+knife+block

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Victorinox jumped in price to $45 because everyone recommended it too much (I think they were $28 when the op was written). Might as well get the Tojiro DP instead for $15 more.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 13, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Chillyrabbit posted:

Now I have to be careful since you can keep on saying $15 more and you get something better, is the tojiro DP a big enough jump over the victorinox to purchase it? or is it just more value for the casual user. What differentiates it from the vicorinox?

It will be a harder steel that stays sharp longer, and hey, it looks a lot nicer.

http://www.chowhound.com/post/tojiro-dp-victorinox-1016940

It can be the last chef's knife you ever buy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I figure you guys could use a good laugh

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kytcho/kytcho-sharpness-redefined-chef-knife-made-in-the

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I imagine that the tips of the knives are going to bump into each other a lot because of the arrangement

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It does, but my $30 cheapo chinese knockoff works well enough

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

I don't really want to spend what an edge pro costs, how does this look as a knock off?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FDS-Profes...ywords=edge+pro

I got the other kind of knockoff that has a ball joint base instead of tripod legs. It works fine, but the only warning I'd give is that these Chinese knockoffs all probably use cheap plastic (mine did). Don't screw any of the screws too tight or you might crack the plastic (I did)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well, it was definitely messing something up

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I know nothing of cheese knives and I got some cheap ones. They are squared off edges, 1mm thick. Is this normal? Should I sharpen these cheese knives?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

The Ferret King posted:

I bought the 8" DMT DuoSharp Fine/Extra Fine sharpening stone. I've never sharpened a knife on a bench stone style system before.

Before I wreck my one decent knife, I've been practicing on my Chicago Cutlery 8" chef knife. It had a chip in the middle of the blade from getting dropped a long time ago, but was otherwise mostly sharp.

I know the fine/extra fine isn't the right grit for overhauling an edge, but I spent 30 min on the knife anyway and got the chip ground out so the edge looks uniform now. The thing is, it's still not very sharp. I hit it again a day later, about 15min on the fine, then 20ish strokes each side on the extra fine, followed by honing on a steel. It cuts, but there are definitely dull spots on the edge.

So, can we say this is definitely an issue with my angle and technique, or do I just need to spend more time grinding away on this edge? Or is more information needed? It's hard for me to explain where I might be going wrong with my technique because I'm trying to hold the proper edge, but who knows if I'm getting it right.

Try seeing if honing it a lot more to see if it solves the problem. Sometimes when I test a knife after sharpening I find that the edge feels dull, but it turns out that I rolled the edge due to carelessness, and it's just fixed with extra honing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/678583312/skid-the-first-wooden-chef-knife

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1048684157/fini-cutlery-chef-invented-knives-perfected

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 20, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I just thought people would want a knife they could leave hanging half off the edge of their counter without worrying it would fall over from the weight of a full sized handle

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Btw is it me or has every German knife maker switched to 15 degree edges now

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Do you have morals and the ability to feel shame? There's your problem.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Nah, that kinda makes sense, if you're willing to imagine a class of people that can't be trusted with a pointy chef's knife that can be trusted with sharp things at all. Which I'm not, but whatever.

Needs a can opener in the heel. Hey, this thing just won't open, just need to lean on it a little more....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002W5VXV6/?tag=ataofhoco-20

Not a can opener, but how about a garlic crusher, so that you can risk stabbing yourself in the face every time you crush garlic

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

I was just talking about this in the TFR knife thread. The objection that I have to EdgePro type sharpening systems is that they don't produce a consistent bevel across the length of the edge. That is, the bevel at the tip won't the the same as the bevel in the middle of the blade. For most knives this isn't that much of an issue, but it's most noticeable on a large, comparatively flat (in terms of belly) blade. Like a Chinese cleaver.
You can get around this by moving the blade under a stone that saws back and forth in place.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Peep Jerky posted:

https://www.misen.co/products/misen-chefs-knife-black

I wanted to post this, then realized these knives say they're still in production, so they might only be shipping to backers so far. Sorry if they've come up before. I think I saw the Kickstarter on a list of best Kickstarters or something, but anyway, has anyone used these knives or have any opinions on them? As I've been doing more cooking I've started keeping an eye out for deals on a good chef's knife, but I don't really do enough cooking to spend $200 on one.

https://www.wired.com/2016/10/review-misen-chefs-knife/amp/?client=safari

The ones that did ship to kickstarter backers turned out to have a lower Rockwell hardness than advertised. It doesn't appear to be intentional fraud, but the Chinese factory cut some corners on tempering the steel. People still sound like they're happy with their knives, but be aware that you are getting a $65 chinese-made knife for $65, you are not getting a $140 Japanese-made knife for $65. If you want that good of a bargain, get the Tojiro

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is there a compact knife roll/bag that will hold only up to 8 inch knives?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Having owned a steel magnetic knife rack, I would recommend you get a wooden one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is there any risk of the wood getting damaged if you constantly put a wet knife on there?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey guys their web store has two options should I go for the $1300 option and pay full price or should I go for the hugely discounted option at 85% off for the exact same thing

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

http://steamykitchen.com/43828-kamikoto-knives-review-1295-giveaway.html

quote:

According to the company via an email exchange, Kamikoto knives generally range between :siren:HRC53+/-2:siren:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Got gifted five knives by a friend, who says they were gifted to her from a sushi chef. Help me out with what I can salvage here

#1 appears to be a 6.5 inch deba. It is 8mm at the spine and is single beveled. Lots of rust. Worth saving I assume? Japanese inscription chiseled in.

#2 is a 7 inch straight knife that has seen a bit of sharpening over the years. Half tang. Toss? Caddie brand.

#3 appears to be a 10 inch Henckels Four Star that has seen massive sharpening down to 9 inches. On the fence about this.

#4 is a 6 inch Japanese petty. Very rusted. Japanese inscription stamped into blade.

#5 is a 10.25 Japanese slicer. I would like to save this, but the handle has lots of damage. How hard would something like this be to fix?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Q1: What do you guys think about the blade profile on the long slicer? It seems to have a bit of a belly, maybe from the heel being ground down. Keep as is, ask a sharpener to adjust anything?

Q2: I went at the rusted knives with a rust eraser, the red is all out, but there are black patches that aren't rubbing out. Should I leave them or sand deeper?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 11, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

VERTiG0 posted:

Gotcha. I haven't gotten there yet, but I see what you mean now.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

fart simpson posted:

Are there really many knives which come from the factory at a 35 degree edge?

Not many, but sometimes when I'm browsing the kitchen store some major knife brands will have random new angles they're trying out, like 16 or 17 or 18. Why not 15 or 20? I have no idea. But either way, not a whole lot of them do this.

If anything, the main trend I'm noticing is that Western knives are abandoning 20° bevels and going down to 15°, probably because they want that "super sharp out of the factory" perception that Japanese and Victorinox knives have, even if it might be better for their softer steel knives to be 20°

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 15, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I know of one guy in Los Angeles who charges $40, but I think that's because he's some super spergy knife expert with a youtube tutorial channel who specializes in Japanese knives and can do asymmetrical bevels. Everyone else is $5-10 here and last time I asked for a chip to be removed it was no extra charge

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Let's turn to a testimonial from a guy who just woke up

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Start practicing on your crap knives first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I tipped my big gently caress off knife

• Locked thread