Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Edit: nevermind, read it wrong.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

d3rt posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the various Ikea chefs knives they'd care to share? Rubbish to avoid, or a rung below Victorinox, or is there a diamond amongst the poo poo that someone new to decent knives could start with?

Every cooking related implement I have bought from Ikea has been the worst thing imaginable and failed within a few uses. I have no experience with their knives but I would not expect them to be any better. For the record, I own a ton of other Ikea things that have been excellent, the kitchen stuff is just horrible.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

mindphlux posted:

I've had a few ikea 365 pans in my life which were completely awesome, and I love their cutting boards, 365 plates, and wineglasses. I haven't ever used their knives, so I can't speak to them, but I wouldn't discount ikea cooking products at all.

edit : I just realized my salad spinner came from them, cost like $7, and still going strong after 4 years.

Maybe they've gotten better recently then. This was about 4 years ago when I bought them. It was a spatula, a turner and a serving spoon. Both the spatula and the turner melted on probably the second use and the handle on the spoon broke after about a month. I swore off buying their kitchen gear after that.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Got another knife. Goko Hammered Damascus 240mm

Good lord that is one sexy piece of steel.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Mr. Fowl posted:

Cheap isn't always bad:

I've used that as my plastic board for 6 years, it's held up very well..

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

No Wave posted:

I prefer getting one that has a juice canal on one side and no canal on the other and using these:

http://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco-Fido-Gaskets-Bag/dp/B0001BMYIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389454995&sr=8-1&keywords=gasket

as portable cutting board legs.

That one has the canal on one side, or at least the one I have does.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I just turn the knife upside down and pop the pit off by knocking the pit into the edge of the counter. You don't touch the knife at all that way.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ejstheman posted:

I'm not 100% sure what motion people are even describing, here. For the whack to launch the pit off the knife and into the trash, wouldn't you have to basically overhand slash at the near rim of the trash can, and have the knife be suddenly stopped by an impact on its cutting edge, closer to the heel than where the pit is lodged? It sounds like a great way to end up with a raggedy liner that will rip when you take the trash out, not to mention dangerous to the blade for thinner knives.

Turn your knife upside down and hit the pit, not the knife. Pops right off.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
My mom's 60th birthday is next week and I've decided I want to get her a good knife. Her normal knife is a Calphalon santoku that she has had for 15 years that she takes pretty good care of, but she's overdue for an upgrade. I have a Tojiro DP that she has used and really liked, but I'd like to get her something a little more attractive like a Damascus or hammered steel chefs knife. I know those are really just for looks and I'm ok with that. I'm looking to keep it under $150 if possible. Any recommendations on what to check out?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Anyone have any thoughts on the JCK Gekko line? I think they fit what I was picturing in terms of looks and the pricing is pretty good. They're listed under the specials on JCK. http://japanesechefsknife.com/SPECIALS.html#Specials

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Yond Cassius posted:

Gingher and Dovo both make excellent "tiny little sewing scissors". The prices are very high for tiny little scissors, but they're super sharp and hold their edges well.

My mom has a set of Gingher that she only uses for sewing and she's been using them for probably 30 years. They are sharp as hell.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I fond all this handle talk funny, because if you're holding the knife properly you won't really be holding much of the handle at all.

This is how I've always felt about it. I use a pinch grip so the handle shape and size really don't mean much as the handle part of it is just resting against my palm anyway. I've never used a global so I have no input there, but I'm sure it would be fine with a pinch grip.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Present posted:

Some sexy knives there but so much money...

The Takamura in particular would have been perfect, price wise, if it wasn't for the western style handle.

The Japanese style knives are even more gorgeous then the Shuns but sadly out of my budget.

In other news, http://japanesechefsknife.com/ just got some new knives in if anyone's interested.

The Takamura is awesome, I bought my mom one for her 60th birthday a couple months ago and finally got to try it out last week.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
^^^I think you mean 24cm, otherwise, you bought a sword.

I use a wooden drawer knife "block" myself. It's awesome and fits basically any size knife.

I believe this one the one I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Shenzhen-Kniv...asin=B00GJ44VW4

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Rockzilla posted:

"I am a chef" or "I have a lot of experience" in an Amazon review might as well translate to "I am a weekend assistant manager at Carl's Jr. and I watch a lot of Hell's Kitchen". I don't even know how you would slice the palm of your hand open that badly if you were using the knife safely but I'm picturing the guy using his employee's brand new Shun to pry frozen burger patties apart and karma intervening to give him what he deserved.

Yeah, there is almost a zero percent chance of cutting your palm if you are using a knife properly so you have to assume he was doing something stupid.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Does anyone know of any good places in the Northeast US to go check out knives in person? I'm looking to finally get a decent chef's knife and I'd really like to be able to hold some different handles and lengths and see what feels right to me before purchasing something. I live in Orlando and have been looking all around this state for a place to check out knives down here with little to no luck. I have a few work trips in the northeast over the next couple months though and figured if there were any places up there, it might be worth looking into.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

revdrkevind posted:

Uh, white people kitchen stores?

You can pop into a Williams-Sonoma and get an hour-long demo of everything on the shelf if you pretend you have money and make small talk. They'll even bring out food for you to cut.

From the ones I've been into, they don't have a whole lot of different styles or brands. I basically just remember it being all Wusthof, Henckels and Shun. Not that there is anything particularly wrong with any of those, but I wanted more of a variety.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, I was just hoping that somewhere I could find a store that would have a little more diverse of a selection so I could try out some of the different handle shapes mostly. All the common brands seem to have similar handles. I've never held an octogonal handled knife and I'm curious how I'd like it. I'm not looking to spend a huge amount of money, maybe $150, but if I do, I'd like to have some kind of an idea of how it's going to feel in my hand. I'm also open to suggestions in that price point too. Looking to get an 8-9" gyuto.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 22, 2015

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Karia posted:

See, my issue with that is that not everyone knows that. When I was shopping for my nakiri, the salesman at one of the stores tried to sell me on the fact that this incredible ancient steel was going to make the knife cut so much better and last so much longer. He was legitimately shocked when I told him it was pattern laser welding or etching, had nothing to do with historical damascus steel, and had no effect on the cutting edge of the blade. There's a ton of misinformation out there, and at least some places it's definitely not just marketed as a cool-looking pattern.

Where in the northwest? There's a shop in San Francisco, Bernal Cutlery, where I got my nakiri. They've got a good selection of different knives, and the staff is very knowledgeable. Should be able to at least try stuff out there, though it may be a bit pricier than you're looking for.

I'll be in the Northeast actually. Bouncing between NH, MA, RI, CT and PA quite a bit this summer. Odds are I'm just going to have to find a place with a decent return policy from what I can tell.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Thoht posted:

For NE US, there's Korin and MTC Kitchen in NY. Don't know about the other states though.

drat, I'm not going near NYC or I'd definitely go by MTC. That looks like the type of place that I was hoping to find to go hold some knives.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
How about the 7" Tojiro santoku? A little bit smaller than most chef's knifes, but still have some height to the blade.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Going to echo everyone else and say a santoku would be the best choice, it still has a lot of the versatility of a chef's knife or gyuto but it's good for people who don't like the length of those types of knives. The hight on them is also good for scooping stuff up which is always nice.

For recommendations there is always the Tojiro DP but if you want to make it a special present for her this one is very pretty, has great performance and won't break the bank.

I bought my mom the 8" chef knife version of that and it's awesome.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

extravadanza posted:

Two Ten Jack was fantastic when I visited with my wife in Spring 2014. Wonderful taste of Japan. How do they push Sake thru the beer taps without it carbonating like beer? Just like sake in a bladder within a pressurized container(modified keg) or something?

It only takes 1-2 psi to dispense, to carbonate beer you set it at 10-15. It will never really carbonate when held at a really low psi.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

extravadanza posted:

Yea I guess I never considered the fact that you need significantly less to fill up a sake portion and a slower pour would be desirable. I keg my own beer and carbonate around 25 psi and serve around 10 psi, never experimented with how long it would take to see signs of carbonation at extremely low psi.

At that psi I highly doubt you'd ever see any noticeable carbonation. The sake can't absorb more co2 past the pressure set in the keg, which if you assume similar absorption to beer (I actually think it's worse) you would only get to something like .25-.5 volumes which basically negligible.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'd look at this knife, it's thinner and sharper than a Tojiro, has a nice hammered nashiji finish and a western style handle. It's a really nice knife for the price. You should also grab a knife guard with it, I have these and they work well, especially for how cheap they are.

I bought my mom this knife for her birthday. It's a pretty nice knife for the money, both in performance and looks.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I really wish I had more options than Williams Sonoma for checking out knives in person. I've looked all over Florida and I can't seem to find any stores that carry a bigger variety of knifes.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

TATPants posted:

I bought the Takamura for my brother's wedding gift and played around with it a bit before I sent it to him. It is significantly lighter than the 8" Shun classic that I use and is much sharper out of the box. If I ever manage to destroy my Shun, I will buy that Takamura without any hesitation.

I bought my mom that knife for her 60th birthday and it's pretty awesome for the money. Very light as you pointed out, much lighter than the knives I've been used to which was different, but man was it razor sharp out of the box. Really nice looking knife at the price point too.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
The first knife making innovation in 200 years? How the gently caress can you claim that with a straight face?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Does anyone know any good knife stores in Tokyo or Osaka? I'm planning a trip to Japan in August and would love to come home with a decent chef knife.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Scott808 posted:

Sakai, Osaka
Konosuke (幸之祐) Kaneshige Hamono (カネシゲ刃物)
Address: 大阪府堺市堺区甲斐町東4-3-26

Suisin (酔心) Knife System (ナイフシステム)
Address: 大阪府堺市堺区甲斐町西1-1-28

Tadatsuna (忠綱) Nagata Hamono (永田刃物)
Address: 大阪府堺市堺区甲斐町東1-1-4

Ashi Hamono (芦刃物)
Address: 大阪府堺市堺区並松町14

Tokyo
Masamoto Tsukiji http://www.tukijimasamoto.co.jp/
Japan, 〒104-0045 Tōkyō-to, Chūō-ku, Tsukiji, 4 Chome−9, 築地4丁目9-9

Sugimoto Hamono https://www.sugimoto-hamono.com/
4 Chome-10-2 Tsukiji, Chuo, Tokyo 104-0045, Japan

Aritsugu Tsukiji http://www.aritsugu.jp/
4 Chome-9-16 Tsukiji, Chūō-ku, Tōkyō-to 104-0045, Japan

Nenohi http://www.nenohi.co.jp/
4 Chome-10-5 Tsukiji, 中央区 Tokyo 104-0045, Japan

Nihonbashi Kiya http://www.kiya-hamono.co.jp/english/

Kappabashi District https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappabashi-dori | http://www.kappabashi.or.jp/

Union Commerce http://www.unioncommerce.co.jp/
2 Chome-22-6 Nishiasakusa, Taitō-ku, Tōkyō-to 111-0035, Japan

Tsubaya http://tsubaya.co.jp/
3 Chome-7-3 Nishiasakusa, Taitō-ku, Tōkyō-to 111-0035, Japan

Kamata http://www.kap-kam.com/
2 Chome-12-6 Matsugaya, 台東区 Tokyo 111-0036, Japan

TDI Knife Shop
1 Chome-9-13 Matsugaya, Taitō-ku, Tōkyō-to 111-0036, Japan

drat. Thanks, this is perfect.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

The Midniter posted:

Those knives are plenty pretty but I can't picture using a pinch grip with that awful "ergonomic" handle.

Yeah, I see their knives pop up on a deal website I follow often and I always thought the handles were stupid from a usability standpoint.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Flunky posted:

I don't understand how all these lovely snake-oil knife kickstarters consistently raise assloads of money. I guess most of them haven't shipped and disappointed people yet?

It's all in aggressively marketing your campaign and making you product sound way more revolutionary than it is. Think about how many of these you see some bullshit article linking to it with some clickbait headline like "These brothers are changing the backpack game and you WON'T BELIEVE how they're doing it!" My guess is they also become more successful and start getting more "articles" published like that after they become funded because then their successful funding fuels more people buying in.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Croatoan posted:

Just rub them real good on your driveway. If you get the angle right it'll be good as new.

What if I live on a dirt road? How about a rusty bumper if an 82 Ford F150?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I finally splurged a little and picked up two decent knives last night in Osaka from Tower Knives. That shop was awesome and the people who work there could not have been more accomodating to a non-Japanese speaker. I ended up with a Blue #2 210 gyuto and Blue #2 nakiri. They are crazy sharp and I'm really excited to put them to use. I also picked up a 1000/3000 combination wet stone.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Taima posted:

Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

Regarding sharpening, I have a Chefs Choice Trizor VX that as far as I know is pretty much the gold standard in 15 degree electric sharpeners.

Will this sharpener work ok with "harder to sharpen" knives? Or does that mean that you would want a high-end manual setup?

Ultimately I have no easy way of understanding what "hard to sharpen" actually means in practice.

e: Holy crap I am just lost browsing the ChefKnivesToGo site, all of this poo poo is wonderful. How would one even begin figure out what you want...

I'm actually going to Tokyo in a couple months as well so if the True Otaku Way is to buy a knife in Japan (and it would result in a better blade and/or a better deal) I guess that's a thing that can happen. Just gonna be cruising through for a few days after a wedding in Taiwan though, so I wouldn't be able to stray much from Tokyo.

Check out Tower Knives near Tokyo Tower. I just bought two knives at their Osaka location. You can see my post just a little bit back. They were super helpful and let me test out knives on veggies.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

emotive posted:

I'll look into some more santokus, too. I saw that Kenji raved about the Misono UX10... I have a Wustoff Classic santoku right now and really dislike using it. I have decent sized hands so the thin, sharp edged handles make it really awkward and uncomfortable to use. I always go back to my Victorinox.

You bring up a good point in that it might not be a bad idea to go for that or even something a gyoto since it seems like a better general use knife... for things like mincing garlic and herbs I can't see a nakiri working well.

I love my nakiri for herbs, partially because it has very little belly to the majority of the blade so it scoops well when you're done chopping. Mine has enough of a rounded tip to the front that you can still rock it a bit too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I feel bad laughing at that but hearing stereotypically mispronounced words done in a pretty good non-regional American accent is kind of hilarious.

• Locked thread