Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

RagingTaco posted:

What advantages does a longer chef knife add? I currently use a 7" POS and haven't yearned for anything much larger. Tiny counters also limit my space and I don't want to be stabbing everything near the cutting board.

More real estate for slicing which is important for more fragile things so that you can cut in one swoop instead of changing directions. More real estate just for prep, you can prep more in one go with a larger blade than you can with a small one. A larger blade feels more stable to me, too. It's not going to be affected by the thing you're cutting very much. If you need something small and nimble, that's what the paring knife is for. Chef's knife is for everything else. Don't get a blade that is longer than your cutting board though. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

nwin posted:

I've got a global 8" chefs knife that I've had for about 6 years now. I use a sharpmaker on it but even with diamond rods, I've never been able to emulate the sharpness it had out of the box or when I sent it out to get professionally sharpened.

What's the preferred way to sharpen these?

Japanese water stones are the best ways to do this. There are a few options and it can be as basic or as complicated as you want it to be. Generally you only really NEED one stone if you only have to do basic resharpening. Something like a 1200 grit stone would be great for modest sharpening duty. If you need to remove nicks or do any tip repair or reprofiling you will want something more aggressive like a 500 or so and a 1200 for finishing. Then you can also polish as much or as little as you want. something in the 2500 range will give you a nice polish but the knife will still have a decent "bite". You can go up to 4k or 6k and further, even use strops and abrasive compounds for even sillier polish levels. Some people really like them, others think that it eventually gets so polished that the bite of the edge disappears and the knife isn't as pleasant to use. ymmv. You probably only really need a 1.2k grit stone to start though and build up your waterstone collection as you need.

I have a bester 1.2k stone that I really like. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/bester1200.html It's great but it needs a good deal of soaking before using but the grit cuts well and is easy to use.

A bit more convenient but also a skosh more expensive are shapton stones. They are ceramic stones that don't absorb the water so all you need to do is splash them with some water and get to sharpening. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shgl10gr.html

quote:

As a second question, I'm quasi in the market for a new knife sometime in the next year. My cutting style is a lot of rocking...I don't really do much chopping up and down motion. What style would be preferred for this method? I know I gotta get my hands on some but I am just looking for recommendations based off what my style seems to be.

Gyutos are good for rock chopping, specifically one with a good belly. You should decide if you want stainless or carbon steels and also what kind of handle you want. Also price range. from there a recommendation will be easier to give.

quote:

Also...third question. I've made Gordon Ramsey's crispy skin salmon and in the video, his knife just moves SO drat smooth through the skin. Not mine. It involves going over the same spot a few times and I usually get plenty of scales coming off with it. Not really sure if that's a question, but drat it's frustrating!

You should descale the salmon before fileting.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just bought a 240mm Tojiro DP Gyuto from Amazon for $80, $20 cheaper than chefknivestogo.com.

I don't have a MAG BLOK or space to put it, so I'm gonna need to keep it in a drawer/cabinet. What do I need to buy to protect the blade? Also, do I need to buy a honing steel while I'm at it? Which one?

Also, what use would a paring/petty knife be? As it is I never really use anything but a chef's knife. I don't eat potatoes for example do I don't ever peel them (and when I need to I have a peeler).

I use a paring knife to pare.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Disco Salmon posted:

My husband decided to surprise me with a new bunch of kitchen knives...mostly Victorinox (sp), as well as some cutting boards, oil for the boards and a ceramic honer and an accusharp sharpener for the knives.

I have never had decent knives before, they have all been crappy miracle blade poo poo. I want to take care of them so they last a good while, and I don't want to ruin them. I was reading earlier about honing and sharpening etc, but I got confused on the oiling.

What kind of oil should I be using on the blades? Seems that most places I looked recommended to oil the blades to keep them from rusting, I guess?

I am just a bit confused...I have never had good knives, let alone ones I needed to sharpen before.

Victorinox are stainless so you wont need to worry about oiling them. I'm not entirely sure, but I'm almost convinced that's what the "INOX" is at the end, since inox is generally short for "inoxydable" or "doesn't oxidize".

Honing is truing the edge of the blade. For the victorinox, you will want to do this pretty much every time you use them.

Here is a guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICUULOJ4DSI

I would not use an accusharp. They're not very good. Though, I suppose they're better than nothing, and also beginner friendly.

Some tips for free since you said you've never had nice knives before. Don't wash in the dishwasher. Don't keep them in the bottom of the sink with dirty dishes (surefire way to get cut). I would hand wash right after using and dry with a towel and put away. Not completely necessary for stainless knives since theyre pretty forgiving, but it's just a good thing to get in the habit of. Especially because if you default to washing, drying, and storing immediately then you are by default not doing the things you shouldn't be doing like dishwashering, sink soaking, leaving poo poo caked on them for long periods of time.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

For the record, this is completely correct. Victorinox is a Swiss cutler, chiefly famous for being one of the two official brands of Swiss Army knife manufacturers. Well, at least until they bought the other one (Wenger), and are now the only official manufacturer. According to wiki anyway http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorinox

Fun fact, the 'Victor' part is after the company founder's wife :3:

hmmmmm. That's actually good to know, and changes the way I will furthermore pronounce "victorinox"

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

nwin posted:

Alright, as indicated earlier I picked up the Shapton Pro 1k whetstone and it works great. Still fine tuning my technique, but spending a few minutes with each knife has yielded great results.

For moving up, I'm wondering what I should get next. In the same line, the following grits are available:

1.5k, 2k, 5k, 8k, 15k, 30k

I'd say either 2k or 5k. 1.5 doesn't seem like enough and 8+ seems like wayyy too much. Advice?

I'd go 5k then start getting into compound loaded strops.

For all you know you may be plenty happy with just 5k. That is considerably more polished than the average cool ever goes. Past 5k you lose the "bite" of the edge which some people like, some don't.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 1, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sir Spaniard posted:

Regarding sharpening stones: I personally just own the one, and rarely use it, when my knives are in need of a more serious sharpening. I think the last time I actually used it was to give a quick rejig to my main "bruiser"/heavy use knife (a 28cm chef's knife) Usually I run it over a sharpening steel or if needed, a diamond steel.
Edit to add: it's a dual sided one with a fine grit and a harsher one on the second side. The harsher one I've never actually used, yet.

It's personal preference, but I found that once I was used to using a steel properly, it became much easier to have my knives keep/hold an edge. I must be doing something right because the other chefs are wanting me to be the one who sharpens their knives... Or asking if they can borrow.

It depends on the knife. Many of my knives' steel is so hard it would shave the spines off of a honing steel. These also do not bend and flop like softer steel does, so it doesnt ever need honing so much as it needs a new edge.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sir Spaniard posted:

Any word on how hard/soft those Moritaka Hamano knives are? Can't wait till they arrive. (February is so far away.)

I have a 240mm ao super gyuto moritaka. It owns so friggin hard. Holds a stupid sharp edge for weeks. Super light to weild. Love it.

They are super hard. Also very carbon steel. Be sure to keep it dry and if you live somewhere humid, oiled.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Rurutia posted:

What length of chef's knife should I get if I'm buying my first Tojiro DP? Is it just a matter of preference?

I like 240mm

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

German knives are typically closer to 50-54 HRC. That is considerably softer and accounts for the difference in edge steepness. They just can't hold a usable aggressive edge. Because of the softness, they also cannot be thinned as aggressively. Sure they're sharp enough to do a hanging hair test, but the japanese knife is hard enough to hold a significantly sharper edge for significantly longer all with a thinner, and lighter blade.

Some people, myself included, don't like the useless weight of a German knife. If I need the heft, I'll grab a cleaver, it's a better tool for the job anyway.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 11, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ma i married a tuna posted:

In any case, the idea that "they can't hold a usable edge" is flat out not true.

I said can't hold a usable aggressive edge, not that they couldnt hold an edge at all.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

great. now I'm GAS-ing for more knives. Thanks bombhand :P

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

revdrkevind posted:

With guns you have your rifle, that's fine. But you could also get a shotgun. And your cousin knows a guy who can get an AR-15 for cheap, so that's a must. And you've always wanted to try a bolt-action sniper so you get a WWII piece. And ooh, a guy knows a guy that can get an AK that's modded to be legal. But you couldn't get an AK, that would just be... dirty...

So you've got your chef's knife, that's cool. But you always wanted to try a Chinese cleaver. But that was a stainless steel, the carbon would be a lot of fun to play with. And I am thinking about cooking some fish so maybe I can get one of those crazy Japanese katana things. Ooh, that's a drat pretty Japanese knife. But that's so expensive... getting that would just be.... dirty...

yanagi's arent like AK's. AKs are like...idk, maybe a wa deba.

yanagi's are like buying an H&K. Wow so pretty, so awesome, so...expensive.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Hi people who actually know things.

I've been cooking some for awhile and I've always had really lovely knives. I recently got to use an 8" Shun Chef's Knife a buddy had and I decided I really like it and would love one. There seems to be a group of people who insist that while they are decent knives, they are overpriced. I really like the way it feels in my hand though, and I'm willing to drop the cash on one.

My concern is taking care of it. I've always had 15 dollar walmart chef's knives and never really bothered about keeping them in super great condition, but if I'm dropping cash on something like a $100+ knife, I'd want to be able to maintain it. Besides the obvious (hand wash, don't let it sit in water, etc.), what should I be looking to do with it? Which sharpening steel should I buy? How do I not destroy this knife?

Finally, is there a different knife I should consider? I really enjoy the Shun, but I'm willing to listen to what others have to say.

tojiro dp is the standard entrylevel knife for those wanting to come to the land of Japanese Knives. It is stainless, made of the same material that Shun uses for their cores which comprise the cutting edge (damascus is entirely for looks and serves no functional purpose).

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpchkn24.html

If you're willing to be spergier, get a Tojiro ITK. They use Shirogami, a high carbon steel that can take a more aggressive edge than VG family steels (what the shun and DP are). The tradeoff is it is more brittle. Also has a Japanese style handle which some greatly prefer but others hate. I personally love Japanese handles.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toshitk24wa.html

Both of these are less than 100bux and will perform the same or better than a shun. If you absolutely must have damascus, check out the JCK gekko line. I have a JCK Gekko Gyuto and it was my first grownup knife. It is a fantastic knife. They are made OEM for a few companies like JCK and Togiharu etc.

gekko gyuto by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

you can go quite a bit higher. above these, you're probably getting into Moritaka range but I wouldn't get a Moritaka as a firstknife.

you'll want a waterstone or a few waterstones depending on how spergy you want to be. A 1200 k grit stone is a perfectly fine stone for touching up edges and mild reedging. You do not want a steel for japanese knives. If you absolutely must have a rod of some sort, get a ceramic honing rod.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 9, 2014

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

No glass, no acrylic, no stone. Just plastic or wood.

sanituff!

fake edit: in b4 Chef de Cuisinart recs the San Jamar he always recs

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Eccles posted:

Seeing that the Shun 8 inch chef knife will run you all of $120 these days on amazon, one can hardly call it overpriced for a stainless clad VG-10 knife. If you like the Shun, buy the Shun. It is a well made knife.

8 inch is soooo small tho :(

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

If you get aogami before its gotten a nice patina and chop a whole onion it will leave rust marks on your onions by the time you get to the 2nd half of the onion.

Protip, if you get a carbon steel knife, buy a bag of onions and just mince them all before doing anything else. Lol

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Transmetropolitan posted:

So, if I supposedly get a blade made of aogami super, it is a good idea to "season" it, then?

It will season itself, I think people baby their carbon steel too much personally. Like I said, just get a bag of onions and dice em all. Knife will be just right by the time you're done.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Invisible Ted posted:

So I'm considering picking up a dedicated prep/vegetable knife. Been looking at japanese steel, but I don't really know what's good for prep. I would likely sharpen it on my waterstone at least once a week, if that changes anything.

Any recommendations for a preferably sub-$100 japanese prep knife?

for 100% purely vegetable use you will want a nakiri.

In stainless land you can't go wrong with the Tojiro DP http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpna16.html

There is also the Tojiro ITK shirogami http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toshna161.html which will be a bit fussier in terms of upkeep but will be able to hold a keener edge.

This one also looks pretty great http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mu16na.html
it is blue steel so it will be a skosh fussier still but with even keener of an edge but a bit more brittle than shirogami. This shouldn't be a problem with vegetable only prep, though.

If I was picking for myself, I would get the Murata.

one thing to think about is what kind of knife user are you? Do you rocking chop a lot or do you mostly push/straightupanddown chop? Nakiris are more suited for the latter. if you do a lot of rocking chopping you might want to look at a gyuto.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 21, 2014

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Invisible Ted posted:

I know certain things are more reactive, but I'm not sure what those things are.

Acidic foods like citrus, tomatoes, onions. They will emit a slight stinky sulfur smell at first when you use a carbon knife on them, but with patina it will go away.

like bombhand said, it's not hard to maintain. just keep it dry and don't use on hard foods and don't sweat it so much. Even if light rust happens it can be treated.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Massasoit posted:

What are the bread knives used for other than bread? My girlfriend is gluten free, so there is never any bread around. I have seen some reference to cutting tomatoes, but I never seem to have any issues with other knives.

I personally don't even use a bread knife for bread. My gyutos cut through it better and cleaner than any bread knife I've ever used.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

d3rt posted:

Any recommendations for a knife guard/protector/bag/thing for the Tojiro DP 8" that is Amazon Prime?

do you want a bag, or just a guard thing for the one knife?

This would work for just the knife:
http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-47302-Cutlery-BladeSafe-6-Inch/dp/B0000CFBB6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391025883&sr=8-1&keywords=blade+safe

if you want a bag, you can go cheap and kinda flimsy or super posh and bougie.

cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/Winco-Compartment-Knife-Bag-Black/dp/B001RJTX9C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391025979&sr=8-1&keywords=knife+bag

bougie:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Ultimate-Edge-2001-EDB-Deluxe/dp/B002NEGSTS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391026035&sr=8-2&keywords=knife+bag

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Totess posted:

I just went out today and I bought a sick knife that I totally love and want to take good care of. I'm afraid to tell you guys the knife I ended up getting because I don't want to be laughed out of here for essentially getting the Dre Beats of cutlery.

Anyway, since I want to take good care of this thing I want to make sure I'm using the right cutting surface - I think that's pretty important. Right now I'm using a plastic board, the kind that gets fuzzy after you use it for ages. I heard that end-grain is the only way to go, and I've also heard that bamboo is the best surface. This has left me bamboozled (get it) and I was wondering what all y'all who seem to actually know what you're talking about would suggest.

like bombhand said, bamboo is good because it's cheap, sustainable, and durable. It is also generally harder on the knives than softer woods. They do make endgrain-esque bamboo which is a bit easier on the knives. In everyday, nonsperg use, they're probably fine.

Stay away from teak. because of the nature of the wood and how it's grown, it has embedded in it dirt and sand particles which you can imagine are very bad for your knife.

Sani-tuff boards are really good. They are made of a certain type of rubber and have the benefits of plastic (sanitizeable), and the benefits of wood (fast cutting surface, resurfaceable, cuts "heal"). They're not the prettiest though.

Boardsmith makes the rollsroyce of cutting boards though if you're after something that works well and makes a beautiful kitchen piece as well.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

FishBowlRobot posted:

I've been rolling sushi for a while and just bought my first yanagi

pics or it didnt happen

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Ugh, making sashimi with a chef's knife isn't really working too well. You guys think a regular slicer/sujihiki is sufficient or does the single bevel of a yanagiba really help?

It's a different cutting style for single bevel knives, so know if you get one there may be a bit of a learning curve.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Anyone know much about Laguiole steak knives? Came across these at local discount store and was wondering if they're legit.

Edit: on sale for 20bux for 6.

edit2 :holy frames batman

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 3, 2014

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Generally speaking the answer to "I want x type knife but I don't want to spend much money" is "forschner" or that weird neon color Kai stuff.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

There's also the hanging hair test. Us straight razor users use it to measure sharpness.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

geetee posted:

Every time while pulling the slippery pit off the blade, I feel like I'm one wrong movement away from missing a finger. I'm going about 0 for 100, but I don't know how long this streak can continue.

you're doing it wrong. Pinch from behind. No danger whatsoever.

edit for visual aid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKB-863wJSs&t=55s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-3Xa0ccM_Y&t=113s

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 21, 2014

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

You can just whack your knife against a trash can or some kind of plastic/rubber thing to pop them off. You'd get laughed at pinching pits in our kitchen, we go through 2-3 cases of avocado a day.

I'd laugh at you when you chipped the edge off your weeaboo knife for whacking it on a trash can because you were too proud to spend the extra 1 second to pinch.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

FishBowlRobot posted:

If I have a stubborn avocado pit I sometimes just grab my towel to protect my pulling hand from the blade.

I know the OP's suggestion for a mid-tier chef's knife is a Tojiro gyuto, but what are people's thoughts on MAC knives? The restaurant kitchen I'm working in now is much more cramped than my previous job's, so I'd like to pick up a smaller, mid-price knife for service.

MACs are nice. They have a weird bevel though which can make sharpening kind of a PITA, also I hear the steel is very hard to work with when sharpening, a bad combo. That said, they hold an edge really well, and a lot of people like them.

They also make Tojiro DPs down to 180 mm which is quite short if that's all you're after. Personally I wouldnt go any shorter than 210mm for a chef's knife.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 22, 2014

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Knife technique porn? I like itasan

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj_bzwy94nk9ZJwGruMz4Zg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGeCNeVQ-CM

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

black.lion posted:

e: Also I assumed this would be in the OP but it's not - what is HRC and why does it matter?

Rockwell hardness. It's one metric of how aggressive of an edge a knife can take and how long it will keep it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

black.lion posted:

So a lower HRC is just straight up a sign of lower quality? Like, there's no reason someone would have a preference for lower HRC knives over higher HRC?

Depends on who you ask. Lower HRC means that your edge is more obtuse which means you're more chiseling and wedging food apart than cutting it. It also means the edge kind of flops over as you use it which is why you need to hone them a lot. Some people like that because it means that the blade doesn't chip as easily (high HRC also means more brittle, often)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

That fujiwara is sk5 right? Does it stink/stain? I'm tempted but I've heard that alloy can transfer some oxidized flavors to raw foods.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

db franco posted:

anyone heard of the masanobu line of kitchen knives?

a friend is trying to sell me his gyuto and a paring knife (both damascus)

Looks like they're VG10. It's probably not really damascus, most likely etched. Prices online look kind of silly expensive for a VG10 knife. VG10 is what Tojiro uses, too, and they're sub 100 new.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

db franco posted:

for the price I'd be surprised if they weren't real damascus... right?

I'll have a look at Tojiro too. I've heard Shun isn't bad either (per Alton Brown's rec).

that's the thing. there really is no such thing as "real" damascus in modern knives. Shun's are etched, too.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

TheJeffers posted:

I might be getting a nice knife as a Christmas gift, and I'm wondering if anybody has used MAC's Professional 9.5" chef's knife, as seen here. I can't find much about it online, but people seem to describe these as good workhorse knives, which appeals to me.

If this isn't a good use of $185, I'm open to suggestions. It doesn't seem like I'd want an ultra-thin gyuto, as I often smash garlic with the flat of the blade, and it doesn't seem like really thin blades would stand up to that sort of use. I don't really care about cosmetics so long as the edge is good.

I use my moritaka to smash garlic all the time. They're not as fragile on the sides as you think, its just the edge that you need to worry about.

MACs are nice though, Thomas Keller uses them. I think if I was going to go stainless I would either go cheaper in the tojiro dp line or go with a powdered tool steel like some of the miyabis.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 20, 2014

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

someone recommend to me a 5k-6k finishing stone. I'm looking at the King 6k cause it's cheap but idk how it is.

http://www.amazon.com/King-S-3-Deluxe-Water-Stone/dp/B00201M960

also maybe this Suehiro

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suehiro-600...=item19d47e14f5

I have a chinatown coarse grit right now for repairs, a Bester 1200 for medium grit, and some loaded balsa strops that I also use for straight razor, but I think a low bound fine grit finishing stone would work better for kitchen use.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

1000 grit is still a pretty medium grit in knifeland. If the knife was really that beat up maybe you didn't grind off enough to form a new edge? I'd watch some videos about edge forming and chasing the burr, etc.

edit: also make sure you're not mistaking sharpness for edge "bite"

• Locked thread