Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

quote:

...surplus semiconductors... super cheap... couple hundred bucks on ebay...

nope. nope. nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
3M spray 77?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

DethMarine21 posted:

Precision granite bed :eyepop:

The best part is how nonchalant he is about it. "Oh I just walked down the street and there were granite slabs accurate down to 1mic just laying there"

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

rotor posted:

this hosed me up the first few times I encountered it, but yeah, if you think you're going reasonably slow, try speeding up instead. Alternately, your tool could be dull and you're just rubbing instead of cutting. That's why I like the lathe better, my lathe bits are easy to make sharp as hell but as soon as I dull my end mills i gotta get a new one :-(

indexable carbide insert mills :)

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

rotor posted:

i want one but everyone says you can't use carbide on the taig because it doesn't turn fast enough/have enough hp? i dunno.

Grizzly G0704?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Sure enough, the smallest indexable shank I can find is 1/2".

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Insert tooling is $5-50/insert, plus the holder and arbor, which will run you $100+. Price the stuff out and see what you get.

I mean, the insert holder will work, but how much are you willing to pay to play around with insert tooling?

Meh, I paid $32 for mine? It's a SHARS R8 SHANK 1-1/2" 90° INDEXABLE END MILL w/ 3 TPG32 INSERT and it cuts real nice. http://www.ebay.com/itm/350259243381

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

oh ho ho ho such a fancypants machine you got there buddy. see this here is the HOBBY cnc thread, the ROTOR way. 1/8" shank or bust!

(j/k... esp considering I'm running a g0704)

rotor posted:

so here we are back at the beginning where everyone tells me not to use carbide on the taig

Stick an indexable turning tool in a 3/8" shank flycutter.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

eddiewalker posted:

the G0704 is looking pretty tempting with 18-7/8" of horizontal travel.

Horizontal travel is misleading for two reasons: 1) you don't get full use of working across that whole length when you consider the work-holding required to fit something like that. 2) milling machines are less accurate and stable at the extreme ends of their travel, and its error is only more exaggerated on smaller hobby machines.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
help me get my workflow up and smooth and you're welcome to runtime on my machine

*edit*

Have any of you guys tried tooling around with Mach4 - is there any reason to upgrade from Mach3?

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 13, 2017

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Sagebrush posted:

Well it's one bigger.

That's true. If one of the 4 Machs go bad at least I would still have 3 leftover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Some pc power supplies are fudging their 12v rail ratings or are splitting the capacity across multiple rails.