Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

Finished reading Owarimonogatari vol 3 last night. While I'm surprised and delighted that Nishio manages to tie up basically all known (and unknown) threads and explain practically every remaining mystery in this one final (?) novel, it just makes me all the more puzzled as to what Zoku-Owarimonogatari will be about.

i hope it will be an epilogue. i want to know what hitagi and araragi are doing in college

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i hope it will be an epilogue. i want to know what hitagi and araragi are doing in college

obvious joke: eachother

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...

darkgray posted:

Finished reading Owarimonogatari vol 3 last night. While I'm surprised and delighted that Nishio manages to tie up basically all known (and unknown) threads and explain practically every remaining mystery in this one final (?) novel, it just makes me all the more puzzled as to what Zoku-Owarimonogatari will be about.

I think the final thing that Nisio has to wrap up is (vague post-second season spoilers) Araragi's story himself, as well as Sodachi's (her story in Owari 1 ended on a slightly bad note). While the stories for every girl has been more or less wrapped up, Araragi himself hasn't had his story "resolved." I'm really looking forward to it.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

i300 posted:

I think the final thing that Nisio has to wrap up is (vague post-second season spoilers) Araragi's story himself, as well as Sodachi's (her story in Owari 1 ended on a slightly bad note). While the stories for every girl has been more or less wrapped up, Araragi himself hasn't had his story "resolved." I'm really looking forward to it.

Not sure what you mean. Those things seemed pretty resolved after Owari 3 to me.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

darkgray posted:

Not sure what you mean. Those things seemed pretty resolved after Owari 3 to me.

I'm mainly speculating from the name, Koyomi Book (which I'm not sure is even official anymore), and that Sodachi is on the cover. Who knows? It comes out in a couple weeks iirc, so we'll know then.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

i300 posted:

I'm mainly speculating from the name, Koyomi Book (which I'm not sure is even official anymore), and that Sodachi is on the cover. Who knows? It comes out in a couple weeks iirc, so we'll know then.

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with pre-info, since I'm deathly afraid of spoilers, but what makes you think it's her on the cover?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

from what i have read it sounded like Sodachi's story was pretty much covered in Owari. Owarimonogatari spoilers - after Owari really the only thing that seems like is left is to resolve Koyomi's problem. Gaen's plan would have fixed his problem and the town's problem at the end of the Ougi arc, but Koyomi wanted things to go back to how they were before.

----------------

i300
Dec 30, 2012

darkgray posted:

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with pre-info, since I'm deathly afraid of spoilers, but what makes you think it's her on the cover?

When the cover was announced it was also said that it's Sodachi on the cover. She's the only one with teal hair other than Ononoki, and her cutting her hair (it was long in Owari) would go perfectly in line with what happened to every single one of the other girls.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

i300 posted:

When the cover was announced it was also said that it's Sodachi on the cover. She's the only one with teal hair other than Ononoki, and her cutting her hair (it was long in Owari) would go perfectly in line with what happened to every single one of the other girls.

I'd only seen the really tiny and terrible preview on Amazon, but this larger version of the cover

certainly makes it seem you're right. The girl in the reflection (?) behind looks just like Oikura from Owari 1's illustration. Tagline helps out a bit.

In Owari v3 at the end, Hanekawa accidentally lets slip that Oikura took the same university entrance exam as Koyomi, making it possible that Zoku actually takes place in a university setting. Maybe. Hopefully?

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I finally finished the rest of Monogatari season 2 earlier and Did Kaiki really go through all that just to end up beaten to death by another kid possessed by what i assume was the same snake that turned into Nadeko's scrunchy?. I'll get around to Suruga Devil at some point but i wish Crunchyroll separated them into episodes and not just a 2 hour chunk.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Smornstein posted:

I finally finished the rest of Monogatari season 2 earlier and Did Kaiki really go through all that just to end up beaten to death by another kid possessed by what i assume was the same snake that turned into Nadeko's scrunchy?. I'll get around to Suruga Devil at some point but i wish Crunchyroll separated them into episodes and not just a 2 hour chunk.

It was a different snake, the one from Nadeko's arc the first season (it got away at the end). "Curse, like chickens, come back to roost." Point is that he totally deserved that, technically.

Also, "the snake that turned into a scrunchy" never actually existed: there was no god until Nadeko swallowed the talisman.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Smornstein posted:

Did Kaiki really go through all that just to end up beaten to death by another kid possessed by what i assume was the same snake that turned into Nadeko's scrunchy?.

Or is it that Kaiki is full of poo poo, and embellishing the story to make himself look more sympathetic? He is a con man, after all :ssh:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Redcrimson posted:

Or is it that Kaiki is full of poo poo, and embellishing the story to make himself look more sympathetic? He is a con man, after all :ssh:

no he got beat up

----------------

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Yet he's still alive in Hanamonogatari

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

KaneTW posted:

Yet he's still alive in Hanamonogatari

you can get beat up and not die. just ask zorak about his time in high school.

but for real though they left out a part in from the Hanamonogatari novel that explains this. someone tell me if this is completely wrong because this is second hand knowledge - in the novel he says that all his teeth got knocked out and he complains about how expensive dentures were. so now he has fake teeth he is even more of a fake man.

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 2, 2014

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Whatever happens to be the better lie is what is true
Kaiki is the best :syoon:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Finally got round to watching Hanamonogatari, it was fantastic. The only downside was no Shinobu :(

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

People have started getting copies of Zoku-Owarimonogatari, and apparently this page is found at the end:

So, apparently there'll be a "next season" after this "final season" and the first (?) book is called Tsugimonogatari.

Aah well.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

People have started getting copies of Zoku-Owarimonogatari, and apparently this page is found at the end:

So, apparently there'll be a "next season" after this "final season" and the first (?) book is called Tsugimonogatari.

Aah well.

that's kind of disappointing since he has been talking about the end of the story forever. i hope it at least follows a different cast of characters or something because it sounds like Owari really tied up everything nicely

----------------

i300
Dec 30, 2012

darkgray posted:

Aah well.

Oh Nisio :allears:

Well, I have faith. He is starting a new novel series as well, so hopefully this last season is something radically different. I really feel like Zokuowari will end Araragi's story.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Is it possible I'm getting the Kaiki and the Ghostbusters college days prequel spin-off I've always dreamed of?!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

darkgray posted:

This is somewhat old, but I hadn't seen it until today, and I've already stared through it in awed silence twice, so I may as well infect you as well.
*Awesomeness*

Weird how editing can change a show.
That AMV actually is the reason I got into Bakemonogatari in the first place. And worshipped it ever since.

As for the Tsugimonogatari, the ride will never truly end. This is a full-blown sequel in the works! Same universe, same Kaii, same wordplay. New cast and plot. And this is why I believe so:

quote:

I suspect that he is doing this because the author already has a fetish for worlds were metaphors become real. And that now that he built an entire universe that suits his writing style and prefernce for puns, he would rather not abandon it to start again from scratch.

In short, there are practical reasons to stay in the same universe. But there doesn't need to be recurring characters... except the adult characters are probably going to cameo. Maybe now we will see Meme starting again in a new town?

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 19, 2014

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

darkgray posted:

I literally have no space for any more of his goddamn novels. I already have 38 on my shelf. ;_;
Wait a minute! Have you obtained Zokuowari (the last most recent book) yet? The summaries I've gotten so far are unclear!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Wait a minute! Have you obtained Zokuowari (the last most recent book) yet? The summaries I've gotten so far are unclear!

No, it was sent ~10 days ago. Also ordered the Toradora author's new novel earlier, which has supposedly been in transit for 4½ weeks now. Starting to worry it'll never get here. Stupid cheap shipping alternatives. :(

Edit: Of course the old package arrives literally the minute after I post this.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 29, 2014

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

im going to marry yuyuko takemiya

----------------

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

darkgray posted:

No, it was sent ~10 days ago. Also ordered the Toradora author's new novel earlier, which has supposedly been in transit for 4½ weeks now. Starting to worry it'll never get here. Stupid cheap shipping alternatives. :(

Edit: Of course the old package arrives literally the minute after I post this.
Lemme know when you've finished reading - I've heard reports that it involves a mirror world and an unclear ending. (That is NOT the actual end.)

Followed by a sequel teaser.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Lemme know when you've finished reading - I've heard reports that it involves a mirror world and an unclear ending. (That is NOT the actual end.)

Followed by a sequel teaser.

Well, it's here.

Trouble is I've still got 300 pages of Takemiya's novel to finish before I can start on this one, so it'll take weeks before I know anything worthwhile.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

All right, I started reading Zoku-Owarimonogatari today, and after 30 pages, I'm pretty sure this is the biggest troll Nishio has ever pulled on his readers. Koyomi "sinks" through the bathroom mirror and ends up in a mirror world, where every character he's met (so far) shows how mirrored they are by speaking entirely using mirror-flipped text. If this poo poo doesn't stop soon, I'm going to have have an aneurysm. Urgh.

Edit: Example page:

darkgray fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 10, 2014

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

darkgray posted:

All right, I started reading Zoku-Owarimonogatari today, and after 30 pages, I'm pretty sure this is the biggest troll Nishio has ever pulled on his readers. Koyomi "sinks" through the bathroom mirror and ends up in a mirror world, where every character he's met (so far) shows how mirrored they are by speaking entirely using mirror-flipped text. If this poo poo doesn't stop soon, I'm going to have have an aneurysm. Urgh.

Edit: Example page:

He did this (or something similar; can't remember) with Katanagatari too. So it's less a troll and more of a gimmick he probably decided to amp up.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Wark Say posted:

He did this (or something similar; can't remember) with Katanagatari too. So it's less a troll and more of a gimmick he probably decided to amp up.

Was it that ninja that always talked backwards?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I still don't understand why Gahara of all people had a little meltdown in the first episode of Second Season...

EDIT: Nevermind, looked it up and found out. Ugh. Still freaked the hell out of ME that the best Kuudere ever had broken down. Also the season neglected to have an Araragi-Hitagi interaction so we deserving fans could not see how she's changed (besides more antics). Whoop-dee loving-doooo.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 14, 2014

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I still don't understand why Gahara of all people had a little meltdown in the first episode of Second Season...

remember Hitagi confronted her demons at the end of Nise and is more human now. they left out the monologue about her changes out of the anime and it makes things kind of confusing.

basically she is worried about Tsubasa because of a lot of reasons: Tsubasa turned off her phone so she couldnt call her, she was worried about something happening to Tsubasa and in turn that would really upset Koyomi, she met Tsubasa's parents who literally don't care about her well-being at all (she even tells Tsubasa she shouldnt call those people Mother or Father), Tsubasa lied and said she was sleeping at a friend's home but she never asked Hitagi to stay over with her making her think she wasnt her friend, and then when Hitagi found her sleeping in the old abandoned building like a homelessman she got upset because she didn't have to do that.

in conclusion ur dumb try watching the episode again

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

also i read a bunch of spoilers for the last book. is it safe to say that the overarching plot ended in Owarimonogatari? this last book just seems like some weird filler.

----------------

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh wait a minute that breakdown WAS A RUSE! After all these months my faith has been restored! :swoon:

Einander posted:

I dunno. That incident at the start struck me as the first time she was that worried about anyone, because part of the point of Hanekawa's abnormality (as a person, not as an oddity, though I guess the two are basically the same) was that she 1) could do just about anything if she wanted to and 2) she didn't think like normal people do...

...(Also because, on some level, I think she processed that freaking the hell out, and showing it, was one of the ways she could actually get through to Hanekawa. She is absurdly competent.)

Edit: Plus, some of the stuff after that in early Neko White comes off as her being kind of insecure about herself compared to the competition and doing her best to overcome it through seizing the initiative and keeping control of the situation. The shower thing, for instance. Hanekawa's just not very good at noticing.

Also yeah, it's safe to say that the main plot resolved itself with Owari. Now it's onward to Tsugi and beyond!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Oh wait a minute that breakdown WAS A RUSE! After all these months my faith has been restored! :swoon:

Also yeah, it's safe to say that the main plot resolved itself with Owari. Now it's onward to Tsugi and beyond!

i dont think it was a ruse. try reading Koyomi's monolgoue from Nise where he talks about Hitagi's change.

quote:

And of course, it's not thanks to Araragi Koyomi either, nor is it Hanekawa Tsubasa — Senjougahara Hitagi had obtained victory from that detestable conman with her own strength and willpower. And she has thus proudly changed herself totally.

And that's it.

That's how it is.

To put it simply, Senjougahara Hitagi has turned dere.

Completely dere.

To the point where even Karen can't match up to her in terms of dere.

It is really problematic for that Senjougahara Hitagi to continue being my home tutor. So after many discussions with Hanekawa, we've decided to allow Senjougahara to take a break till the Obon festival (so Senjougahara's currently visiting her hometown with her father). From that point alone, I think it's easy for people to imagine just how dere she is.

However, everyone's imagination is wrong.

Or rather, that's not nearly enough.

The levels of her dere is no where close to just that.

For example, she will call me randomly without rhyme or reason (even though she used to reject my calls depending on her mood). She will mail me messages with emoticons in them (even though all she had done till then was to send me spam). She even addresses me by a really cute nickname (even though my nicknames were nothing more than all sorts of venomous words by her). However, all of that is just the beginning.

She will no longer crush flowers when she sees them.

Nor will she step on insects.

She will not start her sentences with harsh words.

She will honestly praise the good and beautiful things that she sees.

The way in which she uses stationery has changed back to the way it should be.

And of course, that does not apply for only the stationery. She'd take out the fruit peeler in an attempt to peel my skin off should I say anything bad about the dishes she made — she no longer does things like that as well.

Rather than allowing others to see her legs, she'd chop them off instead (though the them here refers to the legs of those who are looking at her) — that's a thing of the past as well. The length of her skirt has shrunk gradually (from beneath her knees to above them), and it seems like she no longer rejects showing her skin.

The cold expressionless mask of hers had totally disappeared. Emotions are beginning to show in the monotonous and icy tone of her. But the most important thing is, she smiles a lot now.

She has changed into a girl who puts on a happy smile for most of the time.

In other words — she has became an ordinary girl.

She could not have swapped the soul of hers with someone's else— the change in her personality was enough for me to think that.

It's not a facade.

Nor is she Lady Purdah any longer.

She's not putting on an act of being all sweet and nice.

She has really changed into a cute and ordinary high-school girl that's befitting of her age.

An ordinary high school girl who reacts normally to the normal things encountered; who does not act on the extremes, does not shut herself out and does not show hostility for no reason.

It seems like the Senjougahara from middle-school was a track-and-field ace who's well loved for her great character, and the way she acted back then may very well be the way she is now. And that means that Hanekawa and Kanbaru had spent their middle-school enjoying such incredible stuff? You guys are too sly! I always thought better of you people! I threw a fuss about it, but if their words are something to be believed, that's what they said,

"She was no where near this state during the middle school."

That's how it is.

Even for the Kanbaru who sees Senjougahara as a goddess and views her positively despite her cruel and vicious words, she's a little averse towards the current Senjougahara. That's the incredible state of Senjougahara's dere right now.

I really have no idea how to describe it.

Rather than dere, it's more like doro?

Tsundoro. [TLNote: Araragi cooked up this term or something. Seems like dere is not quite enough to described Senjougahara. Doro can refer to mud, so infer as you please.]

Why does that girl always place herself in such a narrow field among the different personality traits?

here is a link to the whole thing http://cetranslation.blogspot.com/2012/03/nisemonogatari-snippet-of-chapter-005.html

----------------

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Did you just have that speech saved on your hard drive and ready to go, Dick?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Did you just have that speech saved on your hard drive and ready to go, Dick?

yes im always prepared to talk about monogatari

----------------

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

yes im always prepared to talk about monogatari

Edit: Aw screw it. It's not worth it being trolled by you.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 14, 2014

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Just to be yet again an ironic anime pervert?

ummmm no. i literally answered your question right on this page and gave you a link to help you form your own thoughts on the matter of Hitagi's character development that lead to her "out of character" freakout during the first episode of monogatari second season

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ummmm no. i literally answered your question right on this page and gave you a link to help you form your own thoughts on the matter of Hitagi's character development that lead to her "out of character" freakout during the first episode of monogatari second season
I think she planned such a reaction to get to Hanekawa, and was able to do so after going full dere. In other words, a mix of Einhander's opinion and yours.

• Locked thread