Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

My god, the cliffhangers this arc are absolutely agonizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Araragi, you sick, sick bastard:

Also,

Am I right in assuming this current story is the story of where Araragi went off to while Hanekawa was going through her Tiger-crisis episodes?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Dan7el posted:

Am I right in assuming this current story is the story of where Araragi went off to while Hanekawa was going through her Tiger-crisis episodes?

Sort of but not really because time travel. Hanekawa's story starts on the first day of the new semester, while Araragi's starts the day before that. And then 11 years ago, and then maybe time paradox or something.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
So far the OP songs haven't been as good as the previous two seasons, that's my only complaint for an otherwise great season so far.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...

bubblegumbo0 posted:

So far the OP songs haven't been as good as the previous two seasons, that's my only complaint for an otherwise great season so far.

I don't really like this arc's opening, but I thought the last one was pretty decent. I enjoyed the animation a lot and the song was ok.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The ED is among the best *gatari's had so far, though. I admit, however, I'm a huge sucker for violins paired with rock.

Also: Shinobu's the best, part 2

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 26, 2013

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

She's gotten some weird influences from the company she keeps alright

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

veekie posted:

She's gotten some weird influences from the company she keeps alright

I kind of hope that Kizumonogatari reveals that she was already like that, and what's why she ends up getting paired with Araragi.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Seems unlikely, given what we know of her past. I suppose there hadn't been any young boys for her to go nuts over on screen before though.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

Cliffhangers, cliffhangers. These are so brutal.

Zombies. I would say I was surprised, but I had Googled what "Jiangshi" meant when the season was announced. Still, this is interesting. Since the arc is about Hachikuji, maybe she'll miraculously be the one who survived. I don't think Araragi could handle a non-child Hachikuji.

Also, the best part of the episode, Kimono Shinobu.

i300 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 31, 2013

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
What an incredible episode. For something as brutally depressing as the end of the goddamn world, Araragi and Shinobu going to CostcoCostoo and playing with fireworks was beyond adorable.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
So I've been watching the episodes on Crunchyroll. Are they on some kind of time delay? I just finished the Hanekawa arc and it says that episode 6 will air in 5 days. Should I switch to Hulu to catch up?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Revolver Bunker posted:

So I've been watching the episodes on Crunchyroll. Are they on some kind of time delay? I just finished the Hanekawa arc and it says that episode 6 will air in 5 days. Should I switch to Hulu to catch up?

It's supposedly up first on http://www.daisuki.net/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Revolver Bunker posted:

Crunchyroll is airing on a month delay because Daisuki (which is run by the actual studios) is simulcasting the series themselves and that was the condition for CR getting to run it as well. So watch it on Daisuki basically, they're fully up to date.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Yep, best show.

Ep 10: Nice to see her all grown up. Bit sad that they had to cut so much, though.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

That was a wonderful episode. I'm really surprised that Araragi reacted the way he did to seeing adult Hachikuji. I guess that is the end of the arc, or is there more? It did say "Continued in the next episode" at the end.

darkgray posted:

Yep, best show.

Ep 10: Nice to see her all grown up. Bit sad that they had to cut so much, though.

What happens differently in the book?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

i300 posted:

What happens differently in the book?

Not differently, really. They just skipped a lot of the dialogue to fit it into 4 episodes. There were some more things I'd have liked to see animated, just to fill out the Shinobu-Koyomi relationship a bit. On the other hand, there's so much of it in the book that it gets tedious at times, so it's probably a difficult balance to strike.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

i300 posted:

That was a wonderful episode. I'm really surprised that Araragi reacted the way he did to seeing adult Hachikuji. I guess that is the end of the arc, or is there more? It did say "Continued in the next episode" at the end.

I think that's the end of this particular book, but considering we STILL don't know everything happened to Araragi inbetween the start and the end of Neko White, I think the train needs to keep on rolling

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Ep 10 ended the Kabuki arc. Next up should be Otori, which is Nadeko's arc (since they delayed Hana).

The timeline is pretty messed up (as usual).

The books were published in this order:
Neko Shiro
Kabuki
Hana
Otori
Oni
Koi

However, in the timeline, things happen in this order:
Kabuki (August)
Kabuki && Neko Shiro
Oni && Neko Shiro
Neko Shiro
[2 month gap]
Otori (November)
[2 month gap]
Koi (January)
[2 month gap]
Hana (April)

(spoilered in case people get antsy)

On top of that there are even more books published (or to be published) that get sprinkled in here and there in the above timeline.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

darkgray posted:

However, in the timeline, things happen in this order:
Kabuki (August)
Kabuki && Neko Shiro
Oni && Neko Shiro
Neko Shiro
[2 month gap]
Otori (November)
[2 month gap]
Koi (January)
[2 month gap]
Hana (April)

Ah, this clears up some stuff. I can see why they decided to delay Hana. If that means more budget and better+longer arcs, I'm A-OK wth that.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
Wow, I have to say episode 10 was excellent. I was not a big fan of the Nekomonogatari ark for a variety of reasons, and I was scared that Hachikuji's arc with time travel would be a debacle as time-travel so often is, but I ended up really enjoying it. It didn't have so much of the fan service, (the fan service used to feel purposefully creepy and awkward. Is it just me, or is it a more widespread opinion that that aspect diminished?) and relied heavily on the interesting dialogue. Some really cool looking backgrounds and compositions help too.

Older Hachikuji was cool and mature, but still recognizable. I was surprised pleasantly by her and Araragi's conversation. Not what I expected, but even Araragi gets to act cool occasionally. The confrontation between the two Oshinos was intense and well conveyed. I always groan a bit at zombies suddenly coming into things, even if it does make sense in the story.

I think my faith in the series has been restored.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Oh right, the episode itself, kinda skipped over that.

It pretty much owned, watching Shinobu pour her heart out to... erm, herself was quite a powerful moment, especially if you've watc-- I mean, read Kizu beforehand *glares at Shaft derisively* Araragi trying hard to play it cool when he talked with adult Mayoi was my other favorite part of the episode, for obvious reasons.

So yeah, so far the conclusions to both arcs have been or are at least close to the best the series has offered so far.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Oshino was the real star.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
That was a really good episode.

I forgot how cool Oshino was, and that line about Araragi still ending up with Senjougahara in this route was neat too. Shinobu cementing that friendship/bond with Araragi and more headpatting, and Hachikuji picking up some Araragi mannerisms. But mostly hearing that "kaka~" laugh again, that was probably the best.

This show owns when the characters aren't suffering through some existential conflict or the struggles of coming from a broken home.

:unsmith:

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Super Jay Mann posted:

Oh right, the episode itself, kinda skipped over that.

It pretty much owned, watching Shinobu pour her heart out to... erm, herself was quite a powerful moment, especially if you've watc-- I mean, read Kizu beforehand *glares at Shaft derisively*

:sigh: This. When the hell are they going to get around to releasing that drat film? I am scared that its going to be stuck in development hell forever... Its been over 3 years since it was announced!

That said, If it DOES eventually come out it will probably be stunningly gorgeous. It wants to be with the amount of time its taking!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

FiftySeven posted:

That said, If it DOES eventually come out it will probably be stunningly gorgeous. It wants to be with the amount of time its taking!

It takes a long time to typeset all those title cards.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

FiftySeven posted:

:sigh: This. When the hell are they going to get around to releasing that drat film?

I thought there was word floating around about a fall release. Was that just some dumb rumor?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

i300 posted:

I thought there was word floating around about a fall release. Was that just some dumb rumor?

The banner was pulled off that website the same day. Back to limbo.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
This was a pretty good episode. I love the Tatami Galaxy vibe during Oshino's letter narration.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

darkgray posted:

The banner was pulled off that website the same day. Back to limbo.

I think the speculation is that it could have been ready for fall but Aniplex is going all in on the Madoka movie instead.

Either way I'm amused (not really) that Kizu could get really close to being the last thing to get adapted in this series.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

A recap episode of the events of Bakemonogatari. Ok. I can't imagine someone watching the second season with no knowledge of Bake, that would be really confusing. It seems we'll get a recap of Nise at some point as well. Lame.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shaft has trouble keeping their production schedules straight with 13 episode shows, and since this season is twice as long I'm not surprised that they're putting in several recaps. I guess at this rate we'll be seeing one recap after each arc?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Srice posted:

Shaft has trouble keeping their production schedules straight with 13 episode shows, and since this season is twice as long I'm not surprised that they're putting in several recaps. I guess at this rate we'll be seeing one recap after each arc?

From what I gather, the season was originally planned to contain Hanamonogatari too, and the decision to remove it was relatively late. In other words, they had already reserved the whole 26 episode timeslot, then realized it wasn't quite enough to squeeze everything into, and then cut out an entire arc to air later, somewhere else. Of course, by doing that they had a big hole in the middle of their schedule, which they're now filling with recap episodes spaced between arcs.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Highlighting some of the visuals of the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYkkhehAxWQ

i300
Dec 30, 2012

Well that was one way to start off an arc. It looks like this is going to be another good one.

Also, Ougi is the best. Everything she says is just wonderful.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yes Evil Nedeko is the best. :allears:

So to clarify, the Big Snake there wanted Nedeko to atone for when she killed them to try t rid herself of the snake curse from before? And what was Araragi referring to when Oshino was concerned about Nedeko possibly turning out like this?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Well that happened :stare:

Nadeko finally shows up again, and how! I never liked her arc in Bake but this one is off to a great start in comparison.

And it seems we're in October now so we STILL won't know what happened between Kabuki and the end of Neko White!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Raenir Salazar posted:

So to clarify, the Big Snake there wanted Nedeko to atone for when she killed them to try t rid herself of the snake curse from before? And what was Araragi referring to when Oshino was concerned about Nedeko possibly turning out like this?

I got the impression that he was just kind of using this as an excuse and really just wanted to gently caress with people since that's pretty much what apparitions do. I don't think he cares much about atonement.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Coughing Hobo posted:

I'm enjoying the (not-so) subtle reveal that Senjougahara is just as much of a creeper as Araragi.

Wait this wasn't obvious back in Nise? Because I'm fairly sure that Senjougahara went bdsm on him and all that at the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

I got the impression that he was just kind of using this as an excuse and really just wanted to gently caress with people since that's pretty much what apparitions do. I don't think he cares much about atonement.

Did someone miss the memo that apparitions always respond to people's desires and fears? There is not a single one in this series that's ever "just wanted to gently caress with people". Anyway the whole snake thing is clearly a reaction to Nadeko's inability to claim agency in her own life. She specifically avoids attributing herself as the cause of anything and talks about her problems as if they were conditions of the world around her (this was quite explicit with her). She's "playing the victim" to the very end, and the large and pushy snake telling how should feel about her own guilt slots into that paradigm quite nicely.

• Locked thread