Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom
Sorry, I stuttered.

Monogatari Series: Second Season is the next in the -Monogatari anime series based on the light novels written by Nisio Isin (or NisiOisiN as he writes his pen name). The Monogatari series is the story of Araragi Koyomi, an ex-vampire, and other people he encounters who are possesed with similar aberrations. It is heavily focused on clever dialogues with an interesting avand-garde visual style. The series has spanned 16! light novels so far, but the anime has only covered 5 volumes worth of work.

This handy chart can summarize what has been show already, and what we can expect to see out of this season.

The current season is set to span the story lines Tsubasa Tiger, Mayoi Jiangshi, Nadeko Madusa, Shinobu Time, and Hitagi End. It was originally announced to cover the story line Suraga Devil as well, however it was just announced (7/05) that Suraga Devil has been pulled from this season andwill be made into a mini series later, similar to Nekomonogatari: Black.

I'm new to the series, can I jump in here?
This gets asked a lot on other forums, and the answer is a resounding NO! The Monogatari series, with few exceptions, is very unfriendly to jumping into the series mid-way and trying to make any sense of it. Although it's possible to watch the series in chronological order (Kizu(HA)->Neko:Black->Bake->Nise) it's generally considered a better idea to watch it in broadcast order (Bake->Kizu(HA!!!!)->Nise->Neko:Black)

One thing to note for those of you hopping into the series, is that Bekomonogatari was originally a 15 episode series, but only 12 were shown on TV. The last 3 were streamed online. As such, some websites will seperate them from the 'main series' and list them as 'special episodes' or 'OVAs' to Bake. Be sure you watch all of them, as the final plot line of Bake will be cut in half if you miss them!

The first twelve episodes of Bakemonogatari can be found free on Hulu here: http://www.hulu.com/bakemonogatari
Nisemonogatari, in its entirety, is found here: http://www.hulu.com/nisemonogatari

Kizumonogatari? (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA)
Kizumonogatari follows the story line Koyomi Vamp, which explains how our daring hero first met Tsubasa Hanekawa, and how a brief glimpse of her panties nearly led to him become the second strongest vampire lord in the world. It was originally supposed to made into a feature film by SHAFT in 2012. It was pushed back to early 2013....and now late 2013. Many of us question how much is done at this point, but we can hold out hope to see the original 'Gatari animated in full movie glory.

If waiting for this movie is too much for you, a fan translation of Kizumonogatari has been completed on this website: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Bakemonogatari. I can't attest to its quality as I haven't read it myself, but there it is. There has been no announced plans to bring the light novels to the United States, so I don't think this qualifies as :filez:.

Where can I watch it?
Monogatari is being streamed out of two sources this season. First, the series will be simulcast from daisuke.net, the series page is located here.
For those of you who are CrunchyRoll fans, you can start watching the anime here......starting August 6th. http://www.crunchyroll.com/monogatari

Memes! (let's just get them out of the way)

appletonoutcast fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

Srice posted:

Bake and Nise are available on Hulu as well so you should mention that in the OP.

Added, but unfortunately Bake falls into the trap I mentioned, that it only carries 12/15 episodes. Crunchy Roll is the same way. :saddowns:

From all sources I've heard, Neko (White) builds upon Tsubasa's character immensely. I've seen many people say they completely changed their minds about their opinion of her after reading this story line. I'm itching to see for myself, personally.

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

Nate RFB posted:

I think we're supposed to have read it for much of these arcs to make sense in the first place.

This, I think, is what most Hanekawa haters really need to keep in mind. We're missing an entire piece of the story, one that I think most would argue is the most important storyline of the show. I'm personally going to be muscling through the translated LN pretty soon here, as I feel that it's perspective just has to be needed to understand this arc better.

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

Popo posted:

I believe at some point she also dresses up as Shinobu while is the club room. If you're going to sit quietly in a corner you might as well do it character.

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

Autonomous Monster posted:

I can't really remember either, but I think in the books it relied a lot more on how she spoke, which doesn't come across in the translation too well. In the anime they can go batshit with expressions and gestures.

I wish it wasn't quite so extreme, to be honest; it feels a bit like someone's taken Senjougahara and replaced her with a pod person.

It turns out there was actually an explanation about this that was supposed to occur during Tsukihi Phoenix, but was apparently cut from the anime. Here's a link and a brief summary.

http://cetranslation.blogspot.com/2012/03/nisemonogatari-snippet-of-chapter-005.html

quote:

To put it simply, Senjougahara Hitagi has turned dere.

Completely dere.

To the point where even Karen can't match up to her in terms of dere.

It is really problematic for that Senjougahara Hitagi to continue being my home tutor. So after many discussions with Hanekawa, we've decided to allow Senjougahara to take a break till the Obon festival (so Senjougahara's currently visiting her hometown with her father). From that point alone, I think it's easy for people to imagine just how dere she is.

Even for the Kanbaru who sees Senjougahara as a goddess and views her positively despite her cruel and vicious words, she's a little averse towards the current Senjougahara. That's the incredible state of Senjougahara's dere right now.

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

coreycoryecorey posted:

I just read that, and if we were supposed to infer all of that from the scene in the first episode of this season; then I am not smart enough to watch this show.

Unless they are going to have Araragi give that big monologue sometime during this season, omitting all of that seems like a huge mistake. It basically gives us more explanation and gives a deeper look into all the changes each of the girls have gone through, specifically Senjougahara.

Maybe SHAFT could have shortened the bathub scene in Nise to include this huge monologue about character growth, but sadly that probably would not have sold so many DVDs and Blu-Rays. Then again, maybe I'm watching this anime for the wrong reasons :iiam:

If I remember correctly, there was a brief bit after the Keiki encounter at the end of Karen Bee, where Araragi muses about Senjougahara finally being able to let go of all the pain and misery from that time in her life and move on. But they didn't touch about the personality changes (I believe). I'm at work, so I can't check my copies of Nise to see if I'm right or just making stuff up.

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom
New episode is out! I'm really interested next week to see where Senjougahara takes this food allegory to explain Hanakawa's love for Araragi. I'm assuming it's going to revolve around Hanakawa's personality disorder that forces her to act like a perfect, ordinary girl that accepts anything that's thrown at her, no matter the circumstances. Araragi is something completely out of the ordinary no matter what he does, what with his constant meddling in the supernatural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

Super Jay Mann posted:

Arararagi-mama had what, two minutes of screen time and she's already the best. :allears:

I'm sorry, but the only correct name we'll accept is Mamagatari.:colbert:

This episode really drives home how much it sucks that we haven't seen Kizu yet. I really gotta get off my lazy rear end and give it a read soon. :effort:

• Locked thread