Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

There is a distinct shortage of headtilt pics in the OP.

Getting it out of the way now

No, Menma isn't Shaft, it's a joke I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Arararagi-mama had what, two minutes of screen time and she's already the best. :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Sindai posted:

This is an objective truth since that was the most extreme head tilt I can remember seeing.

What all the Araragi children aspire to :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

That was pretty much an amazing episode from start to finish. Probably the best episode since Bake 12, which is no small feat.

Arararagi showing up the way he did was something :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

It was hilarious when it became clear that Shinobu had no idea what she was doing and just kept BSing her way through the conversation in more and more spectacular fashion. :allears:

So, 11 years into the past huh. Still not far back enough to take his mother to the dance sadly. :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

i300 posted:

That was a wonderful episode. I'm really surprised that Araragi reacted the way he did to seeing adult Hachikuji. I guess that is the end of the arc, or is there more? It did say "Continued in the next episode" at the end.

I think that's the end of this particular book, but considering we STILL don't know everything happened to Araragi inbetween the start and the end of Neko White, I think the train needs to keep on rolling

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Oh right, the episode itself, kinda skipped over that.

It pretty much owned, watching Shinobu pour her heart out to... erm, herself was quite a powerful moment, especially if you've watc-- I mean, read Kizu beforehand *glares at Shaft derisively* Araragi trying hard to play it cool when he talked with adult Mayoi was my other favorite part of the episode, for obvious reasons.

So yeah, so far the conclusions to both arcs have been or are at least close to the best the series has offered so far.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

darkgray posted:

The banner was pulled off that website the same day. Back to limbo.

I think the speculation is that it could have been ready for fall but Aniplex is going all in on the Madoka movie instead.

Either way I'm amused (not really) that Kizu could get really close to being the last thing to get adapted in this series.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Well that happened :stare:

Nadeko finally shows up again, and how! I never liked her arc in Bake but this one is off to a great start in comparison.

And it seems we're in October now so we STILL won't know what happened between Kabuki and the end of Neko White!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Nadeko is more interesting here than she was in her Bake arc, for what it's worth.

Shinobu showing up with the shoryuken and putting a much needed verbal smackdown on her submissive moe moe demeanor while non-chalantly dragging an unconscious Araragi to the living room by his legs made the entire arc up to this point worth it :allears:

Actually this entire series so far has been a seemingly endless string of Shinobu being awesome and upstaging everyone else.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Nadeko you may have just made up for all that time spent as a vapid pointless moeblob with one scene. I mean Kana Hanazawa just straight went off. :stare:

The ending was golden and holy poo poo why can't it be next week already?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Redcrimson posted:

I now need an anime where HanaKana plays a bitchy foul-mouthed delinquent.

Binbougami Ga already exists!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I must be the only person that liked Nise almost as much as Bake...

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So, in episode 15/Otori 4 we learn that Nadeko is so good at twisting the situation and playing the victim and garnering sympathy that she's been doing it to herself and, by extension, us, the whole time. :stare:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Amstrad posted:

Did you not watch the bit after the credits?

This is Nisio Isin we're talking about. I'm willing to bet an arm and a leg that that "preview" is about as genuine as your average crack pairing.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

That's a clever trick of the unreliably narrator, she recounts the events in a sympathetic light, but really she's been lying to herself and the audience.

I find it's very difficult to pull off the Unreliable Narrator without seeming forced or unfair to the reader, but when it's done right like it is here the results can be amazing :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

veekie posted:

I think that was largely in common. A lot of "Holy poo poo, she talks!" followed by "Man she talks a lot"

That shouldn't have been a shock, after all the people who watched Nise obviously would know she talks a lot just based on watching Kizu firs--

Oh wait. :argh:

Also the toothbrushing scene was hilarious and I was too busy laughing hysterically to get sufficiently creeped out about it. (See, that happened after the fact :v:)

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

I found A Thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUqBM-Y4r9Q

I have no idea what's going to happen next in the 'gatari, but I'm confident that poo poo is going down.

Before Otori I just wanted to see what happened to Araragi before the end of Neko White. Now that we're probably (I think?) going to see that next, I instead just want to see how the Nadeko arc resolves instead. This show man...

Also it probably goes without saying, but one should definitely avoid reading comments in this video.

Actually, one should probably avoid reading comments on any Monogatari video, regardless of content. Spoilers farther than the eye can see :v:

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 18, 2013

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Dessel posted:

God damnit, it feels whenever I'm discussing this series I need to use poo poo-load of disclaimers. I feel it's kind of brilliant and utterly questionable at the same time.

It's Nisio Isin, this is practically his MO.

You have to note that at any given time he is either trolling the reader, pandering to the reader with his perversion, and more often than not both.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I think Delusion Express might be my favorite or close to it, which makes sense cause it's everything Renai Circulation isn't and I didn't like the latter all that much :v:

Platinum Disco is pretty great too.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Shaft is incredibly good at making an episode where 90% of it is literally Shinobu monologuing so drat compelling :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

HoneyBoy posted:

edit: This got me curious about what Araragi mentioned, apparently he also flew into the sun? I take it that's from Kizu?

Kizu spoilers obviously: There's nothing about "flying into the sun", it's more simply that vampires, as per the legend, are hurt and killed by sunlight. When Araragi first became a vampire he ran out into the daylight (not knowing what it would do to him) and started burning up and was unable to save himself, so Shinobu (though I guess at this point she's still Kiss-shot) jumped into the sun herself to pull him to safety.

Incidentally, this is sadly yet another episode that loses something if you haven't read Kizu beforehand. Throw another :argh: in Shaft's direction.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm starting to suspect that Araragi maaaay have a very slight deviancy problem, but maybe it's just me! :v:

Gaen next episode makes me giddy. Also that waterfall scene was really pretty.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Nisioisin, you're a prick. :smith:

The timeline jumping going on is getting downright comical. I have no idea how anything is going to resolve. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Nisio still hadn't connected Koyomi's adventures with the end of Neko White in the currently published books.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

i300 posted:

Now we have to deal with Ougi. I knew she'd be trouble, and boy does it look like shes loving trouble.

:argh:Nisiooooooooooo:argh: you no good son of a bitch.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

Icy heart, reporting in. Sat there most of the time thinking "Huh, I guess it wouldn't change much if she were gone... I can't stop chuckling at how drawn-out and sappy this is becoming... and now I can't stop making 'she's 10 years older than she looks, I swear!' excuses jokes."

Still a fine episode, on par with the series, but I think I'm doing it wrong.

Just think of it as the ending to a KEY VN except not terrible. :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

darkgray posted:

I think we have our OP of the year!

Shaft had been slipping with their OPs lately, but between Otori's and now this masterpiece I think they've found their edge again.

As for the episode, Kaiki is still amazing and Nadeko is just straight up :stare:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

The whole "Nedeko is a dumb airhead" thing really has me all :ohdear: .

We know she actually isn't quite what she appears right? With her classroom outburst?

Well keep in mind that she was in such heavy denial of her own jealousy and hate that she subconsciously created a complete distinct personality in her head based on a god she knew little to nothing about on which to deflect the responsibility and consequences of her deceptions.

So yeah, she probably really is just a dumb airhead :v:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

:stare: Well you had a good run Kaiki, thanks for playing I guess?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

The more agency Ononoki accrues, the better character she becomes. Her "new introduction" is always hilarious, and I found it really heartwarming when she mentioned she was going to Araragi's house just to hang out.

Yay!

She really has become the perfect Snail replacement

... :(

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Einander posted:

They really need to start communicating. If Araragi shared his suspicions about her with the others, and if Hanekawa had told him why she asked those questions this time, Kaiki probably would have approached this situation very differently.

Trying to make sense of everyone's overarching motivations and actions seems like a fool's errand, given that we've been told maybe half of everything that's happened from Nise up until now.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

:argh: :argh: NISIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :argh: :argh:

RIP Kaiki, in the end you only fell to someone you had no knowledge of.

Well that ended with quite a bang.

I liked Kaiki in Nise but this arc improved my opinion of him tremendously, especially after the resolution to this arc and all the character insight we get into him.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

darkgray posted:

An ad for the Owarimonogatari vol 3 novel also has a note saying the Hanamonogatari anime will be airing for 5 weeks starting May 31st.

In retrospect with Nisekoi being 20 episodes we should have figured they'd have something to fill in that gap. This fits the bill nicely.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

trucutru posted:

As long as they downplay the "I'm a pervert" stuff it should be fine.

This is like asking Shaft not to put headtilts into their shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Surely this publisher has inside information and is planning release to coincide with the movie's release date, right? :colbert:

Right?

• Locked thread