Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

All I want to know is: did they finally cover the original encounter with Shinobu in this part?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I remembered to go back and finish Hitagi End. I wound up enjoying it more than I thought, probably because it had a lot of Kaiki, and I find him far less headache-inducing as a main character than Araragi. Like, literally his inner monologue seems more coherent. That said, it also had some of the weaknesses shared among several plot arcs in this show.

First: that was an awful lot of chatter for a resolution that took all of... Five, ten minutes in the final episode to resolve? The back and forth between the characters is part of the show's appeal, but a lot of it seemed redundant this time. Moreso than usual. Second: it feels like they were really overselling Nadeko's share of the blame in all this. (I felt the same way about some of Hanekawa's arcs.) Okay, I get it she's a little spoiled and lets people shove responsibilities on her that she doesn't want. These are failings, but the characters discuss her like she's a high-functioning sociopath. It's kinda weird, you know?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

And I want to kill people who cut me off in traffic, but I don't become a crazy snake God because all the spiritual fetishes in my house are safely locked away. See, I don't take issue with the notion her moral weaknesses left her open to possession. But the way people talk about her makes it sound like they always thought "yeah, she'd totally go crazy and start murdering people if given half a chance, what an rear end in a top hat."

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Clarste posted:

The point though is that she wasn't possessed. She never was. The talisman gave her power, but the story wouldn't have been any different if it were just a gun or something. She was honest-to-god crazy and imagined herself talking to a giant snake. A giant snake that never existed in any form whatsoever. I assume you don't do that.
Looks like someone didn't get invited to Alan Moore's last party~ :smug:

For real, though: where does that comes up? I'm not being a smartass, I'm genuinely curious if anyone mentioned that explicitly either in Hitagi End or the original Nadeko Medusa arc. My take on the situation was 'tween infatuation spurred to dangerous levels via supernatural corruption.' In this interpretation, the Western equivalent would be The One Ring (if Frodo also really wanted to bang Galadriel.) Now the series just treats it as a given that this is entirely her fault, that she was fundamentally broken from the very beginning. Which would make the Western equivalent... Dexter I guess? Guest-starring 'illusion of a giant white snake' as the dark passenger.

That doesn't sit right with me. If that is meant to be the canonical truth of things, then it just exposes a deeper fault in the series' writing because I don't think they demonstrated that well at all. Up until Nadeko becomes a snake god she didn't act any more or less like a lunatic than everyone else in the series. I mentioned earlier that one of Hanekawa's arcs bothered me for related reasons. Yes, she should be less passive-agressive but there's that same unearned sense of moral superiority. "Okay your parents slap you around and make you sleep in a hallway and just generally resent your very existence but really it's your own fault for letting the stress build up until it became a pyrokinetic ghost tiger." Apparently we're meant to take that as a given too, which made me leery of the series' moral calculus in general.

• Locked thread