Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Message me when Catgirl arc is over so I can just binge watch through those episodes. She is my least favorite character and I am kind of disappointed the first arc is going to be more of her. I was also disappointed when I found out there will be no Monkey arc.

Just give me more episodes with Ararararrararagi and Senjougahara talking on a playground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Broke down and actually watched the first episode of this season, and all I have to say is RIP Roomba-kun.

Seeing the story from other characters points of view, and not just Ararararararagi's is kind of interesting too.

Dick Spacious CPA fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 14, 2014

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

appletonoutcast posted:

It turns out there was actually an explanation about this that was supposed to occur during Tsukihi Phoenix, but was apparently cut from the anime. Here's a link and a brief summary.

http://cetranslation.blogspot.com/2012/03/nisemonogatari-snippet-of-chapter-005.html

I just read that, and if we were supposed to infer all of that from the scene in the first episode of this season; then I am not smart enough to watch this show.

Unless they are going to have Araragi give that big monologue sometime during this season, omitting all of that seems like a huge mistake. It basically gives us more explanation and gives a deeper look into all the changes each of the girls have gone through, specifically Senjougahara.

Maybe SHAFT could have shortened the bathub scene in Nise to include this huge monologue about character growth, but sadly that probably would not have sold so many DVDs and Blu-Rays. Then again, maybe I'm watching this anime for the wrong reasons :iiam:

Dick Spacious CPA fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 8, 2013

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

I have to say I was pretty lukewarm to this going into this season after Nise and the Cat movies, but this season has been amazing even better than Bake. I am pretty hyped to see what the next arc is, and then what they teased in that trailer. Even though I know I shouldn't be fooled by that trailer since it is Nisio.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

Tons of Hachikuji in the upcoming arc.

What is the upcoming arc about?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

Spoiler (albeit mild, I guess): Anomaly appears, chasing our heroes. Shinobu tells long story of when she encountered the anomaly many ages ago. Things happen.

Edit: Btw, this arc relies pretty heavily on stuff from Kizumonogatari, so it might be a bit weird for the anime-only viewers.

I am down for it though. Bring on the Shinobu

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Is this series actually done or is Nisio still writing more books? There are 4 more books after Hitagi End? We still have to see Kanbaru's arc and Kizumonogatari? I just am wondering how it all ends. This season was really good.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

There was going to be a "Zoku-Owarimonogatari" containing "Koyomi Book" wasn't there?

that is supposed to be the name of the final book.

i think the series was supposed to end with 5 books. yotsugi doll was the first one, a collection of short stories was second, owarimonogatari (stuff dealing with ougi) is books 3 and 4, then koyomi book is 5.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Owari is 3 books, not 2 (correct me if I'm wrong darkgray). Zoku-Owari doesn't even have a release date yet.

yes

Dick Spacious CPA fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 2, 2014

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

Terrible news: Hanamonogatari has been delayed from May 31st to Aug 16th, but at least they'll dump out all 5 episodes in one day. Production issues, apparently.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

So Hanamonogatari aired today, and it is as always the absolute and undeniable best. I love this series so much.

im pretty hyped for it. the wait for some good subs is going to be brutal

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

was this the last time we will see kaiki animated? he "died" at the end of nadeko snake, and everything left to animate happens before hanamonogatari. is he "dead" through all those other stories or is he around?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

forums user darkgray you have read all of these novels right? please tell me what happens in each of the novels that have no been made into an anime yet. thanks in advance. i will give you a shoutout on the next Zorkast as compensation.

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

I'm halfway through Owarimonogatari vol 3 (book 17), so pretty much all of them. But Zoku-Owarimonogatari (book 18) comes out in three weeks, meaning I won't be caught up for very long (if at all).

Surely there are other forums where people have compiled novel summaries.

there is that big timeline of things that happens that they translated on that baka-tsuki site, but it doesnt go in-depth and ive never been able to find someone just doing summaries of all of the novels.

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

Eh, it's hard to know what to even mention in a summary of the Monogatari series, since "events" or "actions" can be taken care of in a sentence, given that all they really do is talk. Those events are already covered by the timeline.

If you're asking what they talk about, it seems impossible to answer, since Nishio seemingly uses the characters as his own personal blog at times, happily writing "dialogues" about whatever topic he happened to think about during morning poop. While often entertaining, very little of that stuff sticks in my memory for more than a few weeks.

I could give a couple of sentences describing roughly what goes on in each book, but it'd have to wait until I finish my current volume, so I can double-check on details without spoiling myself silly on wikipedia. Not to mention that this book finally explains much of earlier mysteries and their background.

Why do you want to spoil it for yourself, anyway?

thinking on it some more you are right in that it is way to hard to summarize what happens and that timeline is probably my best bet. i was just wanting some details on why some things happened or if they were even explained. i will message you so i dont spoil stuff for anyone.

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

Finished reading Owarimonogatari vol 3 last night. While I'm surprised and delighted that Nishio manages to tie up basically all known (and unknown) threads and explain practically every remaining mystery in this one final (?) novel, it just makes me all the more puzzled as to what Zoku-Owarimonogatari will be about.

i hope it will be an epilogue. i want to know what hitagi and araragi are doing in college

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

from what i have read it sounded like Sodachi's story was pretty much covered in Owari. Owarimonogatari spoilers - after Owari really the only thing that seems like is left is to resolve Koyomi's problem. Gaen's plan would have fixed his problem and the town's problem at the end of the Ougi arc, but Koyomi wanted things to go back to how they were before.

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Redcrimson posted:

Or is it that Kaiki is full of poo poo, and embellishing the story to make himself look more sympathetic? He is a con man, after all :ssh:

no he got beat up

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

KaneTW posted:

Yet he's still alive in Hanamonogatari

you can get beat up and not die. just ask zorak about his time in high school.

but for real though they left out a part in from the Hanamonogatari novel that explains this. someone tell me if this is completely wrong because this is second hand knowledge - in the novel he says that all his teeth got knocked out and he complains about how expensive dentures were. so now he has fake teeth he is even more of a fake man.

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 2, 2014

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

People have started getting copies of Zoku-Owarimonogatari, and apparently this page is found at the end:

So, apparently there'll be a "next season" after this "final season" and the first (?) book is called Tsugimonogatari.

Aah well.

that's kind of disappointing since he has been talking about the end of the story forever. i hope it at least follows a different cast of characters or something because it sounds like Owari really tied up everything nicely

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

im going to marry yuyuko takemiya

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I still don't understand why Gahara of all people had a little meltdown in the first episode of Second Season...

remember Hitagi confronted her demons at the end of Nise and is more human now. they left out the monologue about her changes out of the anime and it makes things kind of confusing.

basically she is worried about Tsubasa because of a lot of reasons: Tsubasa turned off her phone so she couldnt call her, she was worried about something happening to Tsubasa and in turn that would really upset Koyomi, she met Tsubasa's parents who literally don't care about her well-being at all (she even tells Tsubasa she shouldnt call those people Mother or Father), Tsubasa lied and said she was sleeping at a friend's home but she never asked Hitagi to stay over with her making her think she wasnt her friend, and then when Hitagi found her sleeping in the old abandoned building like a homelessman she got upset because she didn't have to do that.

in conclusion ur dumb try watching the episode again

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

also i read a bunch of spoilers for the last book. is it safe to say that the overarching plot ended in Owarimonogatari? this last book just seems like some weird filler.

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Oh wait a minute that breakdown WAS A RUSE! After all these months my faith has been restored! :swoon:

Also yeah, it's safe to say that the main plot resolved itself with Owari. Now it's onward to Tsugi and beyond!

i dont think it was a ruse. try reading Koyomi's monolgoue from Nise where he talks about Hitagi's change.

quote:

And of course, it's not thanks to Araragi Koyomi either, nor is it Hanekawa Tsubasa — Senjougahara Hitagi had obtained victory from that detestable conman with her own strength and willpower. And she has thus proudly changed herself totally.

And that's it.

That's how it is.

To put it simply, Senjougahara Hitagi has turned dere.

Completely dere.

To the point where even Karen can't match up to her in terms of dere.

It is really problematic for that Senjougahara Hitagi to continue being my home tutor. So after many discussions with Hanekawa, we've decided to allow Senjougahara to take a break till the Obon festival (so Senjougahara's currently visiting her hometown with her father). From that point alone, I think it's easy for people to imagine just how dere she is.

However, everyone's imagination is wrong.

Or rather, that's not nearly enough.

The levels of her dere is no where close to just that.

For example, she will call me randomly without rhyme or reason (even though she used to reject my calls depending on her mood). She will mail me messages with emoticons in them (even though all she had done till then was to send me spam). She even addresses me by a really cute nickname (even though my nicknames were nothing more than all sorts of venomous words by her). However, all of that is just the beginning.

She will no longer crush flowers when she sees them.

Nor will she step on insects.

She will not start her sentences with harsh words.

She will honestly praise the good and beautiful things that she sees.

The way in which she uses stationery has changed back to the way it should be.

And of course, that does not apply for only the stationery. She'd take out the fruit peeler in an attempt to peel my skin off should I say anything bad about the dishes she made — she no longer does things like that as well.

Rather than allowing others to see her legs, she'd chop them off instead (though the them here refers to the legs of those who are looking at her) — that's a thing of the past as well. The length of her skirt has shrunk gradually (from beneath her knees to above them), and it seems like she no longer rejects showing her skin.

The cold expressionless mask of hers had totally disappeared. Emotions are beginning to show in the monotonous and icy tone of her. But the most important thing is, she smiles a lot now.

She has changed into a girl who puts on a happy smile for most of the time.

In other words — she has became an ordinary girl.

She could not have swapped the soul of hers with someone's else— the change in her personality was enough for me to think that.

It's not a facade.

Nor is she Lady Purdah any longer.

She's not putting on an act of being all sweet and nice.

She has really changed into a cute and ordinary high-school girl that's befitting of her age.

An ordinary high school girl who reacts normally to the normal things encountered; who does not act on the extremes, does not shut herself out and does not show hostility for no reason.

It seems like the Senjougahara from middle-school was a track-and-field ace who's well loved for her great character, and the way she acted back then may very well be the way she is now. And that means that Hanekawa and Kanbaru had spent their middle-school enjoying such incredible stuff? You guys are too sly! I always thought better of you people! I threw a fuss about it, but if their words are something to be believed, that's what they said,

"She was no where near this state during the middle school."

That's how it is.

Even for the Kanbaru who sees Senjougahara as a goddess and views her positively despite her cruel and vicious words, she's a little averse towards the current Senjougahara. That's the incredible state of Senjougahara's dere right now.

I really have no idea how to describe it.

Rather than dere, it's more like doro?

Tsundoro. [TLNote: Araragi cooked up this term or something. Seems like dere is not quite enough to described Senjougahara. Doro can refer to mud, so infer as you please.]

Why does that girl always place herself in such a narrow field among the different personality traits?

here is a link to the whole thing http://cetranslation.blogspot.com/2012/03/nisemonogatari-snippet-of-chapter-005.html

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Did you just have that speech saved on your hard drive and ready to go, Dick?

yes im always prepared to talk about monogatari

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Just to be yet again an ironic anime pervert?

ummmm no. i literally answered your question right on this page and gave you a link to help you form your own thoughts on the matter of Hitagi's character development that lead to her "out of character" freakout during the first episode of monogatari second season

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Namtab posted:

I still cry when snail girl goes away

darn it now youve sent me on a feels trip

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

Nishio just released an entirely new (I think) book series: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4062192020/
And I'm just a third through his last book. Never catching up with his releases. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zzGPpju9vs

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Stink Billyums posted:

Nekomonogatari aired 3 months after it was announced. Hanamonogatari, almost a year.

and kizumonogatari lives on in our hearts and souls

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

So yeah, not even getting animated could save this arc. Probably best not to speak of it!

The rest of the books are really good, I promise!

i heard they really played up the bath scenes :henget: which makes sense since not much else happens at all.

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

This may have been answered already, but what's with aiki dying at the end of Second Season, and then being perfectly normal(ish) In Hana-? Or has that just not been explained yet within what's been animated?

he didnt die, but he did have all his teeth knocked out

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Looks like someone didn't get invited to Alan Moore's last party~ :smug:

For real, though: where does that comes up? I'm not being a smartass, I'm genuinely curious if anyone mentioned that explicitly either in Hitagi End or the original Nadeko Medusa arc. My take on the situation was 'tween infatuation spurred to dangerous levels via supernatural corruption.' In this interpretation, the Western equivalent would be The One Ring (if Frodo also really wanted to bang Galadriel.) Now the series just treats it as a given that this is entirely her fault, that she was fundamentally broken from the very beginning. Which would make the Western equivalent... Dexter I guess? Guest-starring 'illusion of a giant white snake' as the dark passenger.

That doesn't sit right with me. If that is meant to be the canonical truth of things, then it just exposes a deeper fault in the series' writing because I don't think they demonstrated that well at all. Up until Nadeko becomes a snake god she didn't act any more or less like a lunatic than everyone else in the series. I mentioned earlier that one of Hanekawa's arcs bothered me for related reasons. Yes, she should be less passive-agressive but there's that same unearned sense of moral superiority. "Okay your parents slap you around and make you sleep in a hallway and just generally resent your very existence but really it's your own fault for letting the stress build up until it became a pyrokinetic ghost tiger." Apparently we're meant to take that as a given too, which made me leery of the series' moral calculus in general.

Nadeko has always had a weird one sided love for Koyomi.

after she talked with Ougi she started to see the "snake." the breaking point was after she spent the night at the Araragi house and Tsukihi told her that Koyomi had a girlfriend then she got the idea to turn into the snake goddess. the snake tells her that its remains are at the Araragi house and if she eats the bookmark it will grant her wish, and of course her wish is for Koyomi to like her. she just basically goes crazy when she finds out Koyomi has a girlfriend. at the end of Hitagi End, Kaiki tricks Nadeko into "becoming human again" by telling her there is more to life than love and she should pursue her other interests. then Kaiki tells Koyomi to stay out of Nadeko's life because he will only make things hard for her. after that Kaiki is attacked by the student who actually is cursed by the snake god.

Nadeko's arc is basically the same as Hanekawa's. they are both in love with someone who will never return their love and those feelings manifest themselves as oddities. i think Hanekawa's arc was better explained and she did have a lot more problems than just unrequited love.

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i dont believe it

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

ive never even heard of this company that is doing that kizu book. im sure it is going to be great. i hope they just take the old baka-tsuki translation and publish that.

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

http://www.vertical-inc.com/whoweare.html

quote:

MAYA, Editor

B.F.A. University of Hartford. Maya is an all-around bad-rear end ninja. Her current disguise is working at Vertical as an “editor.” Hopefully they won’t blow her cover.

lamo

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

Welp, it's official -- there's a new book coming this fall called Orokamonogatari. This series is never ending.

i dont know how to feel.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Fool Story??? i feel like this could be a troll

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i want to see these goodlooking detective boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

are you sure about this new book because someone tweeted that same picture like back in March

https://twitter.com/yukihilo/status/575695507978215424

• Locked thread