Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

heiden posted:

... even with the reduced animation budget when compared to the first season.

Wait, wasn't the first season done in an already retardedly tight budget? Like, wasn't stuff missing from the original broadcast that was only shown in the DVD/BD releases? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So (and maybe this is just me misinterpreting both the anime and the novels, since it's been at least 2 years since I've read the books), beyond the parental abuse and whatnot, Hanekawa is just a girl bored out of her mind? No wonder she latched onto the Araragi

To be fair, I do believe Yui Horie brings a much more interesting "voice" to Hanekawa than the one presented within the books (even if the books get all retardedly meta about it), I just can't bring myself to care about her when Suruga is way radder and 'Gahara has a more interesting arc. I'm probably gonna give this arc the same treatment that Nekomonogatari Black got and just watch once it's complete.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You know? I've really liked this show so far, despite all my misgivings I've had early on. While the fanservice can get really :rolleyes: after a while, some of the characters really changing feels like a good payoff. Like, despite all the Hanekawa fatigue I've had early on, Yui Horie REALLY knows how to sell the character coming down to grips with the fact that , lovely upbringing forcing you to reject all the negative aspects of yourself notwithstanding, you need to grow the gently caress up and owe up to the things you've done/caused. Both Shinobu and Mayoi are fun characters who get to be even funnier when you get them to interact with someone as... peculiar as the Araragi.

Also, Holy poo poo, Nadeko: When did you took a turn for the creepier?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DrSunshine posted:

DrSunshine does a thing.

:catstare: You are a very funny person, Doc.

Didn't Nisio basically admitted that he was coerced into publishing Nisemonogatari since he was basically writing fanfic-level tripe about his own characters (You know, just like he did on that xxxHolic novel)? While there were parts in Nise that were good/interesting(almost all interactions that Araragi has with pretty much any other character outside of the middle-school trio), I'm honestly kinda pissed that they decided to leave Kizu for later. Goddammit, Shinbo/Shaft/Kodansha!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ViggyNash posted:

:stare: Holy. gently caress.

I think this episode just solidified Nadeko Snake as the best arc yet.

No, it's more of a straightforward exploration of denial and self delusion.

So, she's a self obsessed oval office whose coping mechanism is to basically deny that poo poo happens for a reason and, in most cases, she only has herself to blame? And an aberration basically causes her to become deified?

Perfectly understandable behavior for a teenager!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ViggyNash posted:

I found that far more disturbing than amusing. To me it was more proof of how broken Nadeko is.

It is pretty amusing, though. While what you say about the unfortunate text (no subtext at this point, since it's crystal-clear) on how horribly messed up Nadeko is rings true, it also goes a long way to show just how little fucks Shinobu gives.

And while Kana Hanazawa's work as Nadeko has been nothing short of amazing, Maaya Sakamoto has been the true front-and-center star for this show so far. :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FrantzX posted:

Am I the only one who is slightly wierded out by how everyone in Monogatari is an amateur psychologist? I don't think I have ever spent so much time dissecting how a person thinks right to their face.

They're also (mostly) teenagers, whether in physical or mental age. I guess at the end of the day, you can almost hear Nisio Isin's thought process as he tries to bullshit his way out of what otherwise would be really short stories.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

jonjonaug posted:

Sakamoto hasn't done a character song since Escaflowne, I think. Good luck with that one.

Didn't she do the opening for that Soredemo Machi show? I thought it was kind of a big deal, since it was a really silly show or something.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ViggyNash posted:

I'm curious, how much of the fanservice is SHAFT and how much is from the source material, if any?

VOFAN (the guy in charge of the light novel illustrations) is nowhere near as fanservice-laden when doing his job. Most of his illustrations are somewhat cheesecake, but overall they're rather tame. Nisio, on the other hand, is an unrepentant pervo when describing Araragi's perfectly adolescent trains of thought. The other type of fanservice (the relentless pop culture references) can get irksome at points, but they're usually a non-issue.

Speaking of the novels, Owarimonogatari was recently released and-- oh jeez, it's still going? Why do I keep buying them? :ughh:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

darkgray posted:

First volume sales are out, hitting 39k sold in the first week. Comparing this to Bake's first hitting 83k, Nise's 65k and Neko Kuro's 56k, it's been losing steam pretty badly. Might pick up another few thousand over the coming weeks, but I guess people are getting tired of the series.

Isn't 39K on sale numbers still remarkably good? I mean, most series don't ever go beyond the 4 digits, and here you have a series basically going into 5 digits like it was nothing.

I do agree that the *Monogatari train has been on the eyes of the public for well over 4 years now, but still: Basically the only things that outsell this show in a (semi)consistent basis are... like, Rebuild of Evangelion or the Studio Ghibli films?

On the other hand, probably people are getting a little sick of Nisio Isin himself. Hell, didn't the Medaka Box anime basically bombed?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

trucutru posted:

Wow, who would have known that this show would improve that much by replacing the narrator from mega-creep Araragi to someone much more interesting.

It's the natural result of having the better Gundam-meister at the helm :smug:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

We know she actually isn't quite what she appears right? With her classroom outburst?

At the end of the day, while dangerous, I will always think of Nadeko in the same words an actual villain used to describe a bunch of wannabes, especially with our current main-man. :allears:

She might talk the talk, fancy-walk the walk, but at the end of the day, she has no moxie or pluck. And she's in dire need of both to be a proper Snake Goddess.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Y'know, with all the imagery of the snake ensnaring its actual victim and whatnot both in the latest opening and in Nisio's other Light Novel adaptation, I figured people would actually cut our favorite con man a bit more slack.

I swear to Cat, you people!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

darkgray posted:

Well, it's the position in the book order that makes it a troll. Not as big an impact for anime viewers due to the delay.

Seriously. I've been reading the books for close to 4 years now, and that loving book is the proof that Nisio is aware of how good he can get to be at storytelling, and yet it gives the impression that he's perfectly happy to just get a rise out of the readers by being a dickhead.

Well, that and the book where he spends an inordinate amount of time passive-aggressively making passes at Yui Horie... was that the Mayoi book or the Shinobu book? Can't remember right now.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PrinnySquadron posted:

Ahh, that'd make sense. Kaiki was interesting, and has excellent taste in interior decorating :v:

I swear I recognise the voice actress for the supernatural hunter that wears heels in Tsukihi Phoenix, but I can't place it.

Ryoko Shiraishi. She's known mainly for being Himeko in Sket Dance and she can do a pretty good Kansai accent.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

was this the last time we will see kaiki animated? he "died" at the end of nadeko snake, and everything left to animate happens before hanamonogatari. is he "dead" through all those other stories or is he around?

Suruga Devil happens at the chronological end of most of the “Second Season” of the Monogatari cycle. Kaiki was probably just trolling the reader/watcher.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Kizumonogatari would be great to see as a movie if they could bring motion to Koyomi's gross self-inflicted skull perforation. Every time I imagine it animated, it kinda gives me the heebie jeebies.

The meta-jokes (a thing that unfortunately goes to make appearances on most, if not all of the subsequent books) do start wearing out their welcome after a while, though. I guess in Kizu he was still trying to find a "vibe" for the series overall, so beyond the mention of "how would this look in an anime?" and the Shounen-tacular battle manga Koyomi was reading that he used as "reference" (was the series fictional or it does exist? Can't remember the name), is isn't that bad.

darkgray posted:

I'd agree on Shinobu's part coming very late. By the time Kizumonogatari came out, Shinobu still hadn't spoken a word, if I remember correctly. Hanekawa, however, still seems hated by a lot of the Monogatari fanbase. Showing her first encounter with Koyomi would probably alleviate some of that. On the action? Well, I like shounen battles. :(

Did you read it in the original Japanese? The man's a word wizard. I don't really know about the quality of the English versions floating around, but light novel translators in general seem to be ADD kids with crayons. Something of value may have been lost in the process.

A little more insight on Shinobu/Kiss-shot wouldn't actually hurt, even if we were shown a lot of her development in Mayoi Jiangshi and Shinobu Time already. I do think Hanekawa got a much better deal in the end when it came to the anime, and I think I came to understand (not that it keeps it from still being creepy as poo poo) Nisio's sometimes downright creepy obsession with Yui Horie (I do distinctly remember a lot of the meta-jokes in both Nekomonogatari books focusing on Hanekawa's VA) a bit better because holy poo poo did she do a helluva job as Hanekawa.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

darkgray posted:

All right, I started reading Zoku-Owarimonogatari today, and after 30 pages, I'm pretty sure this is the biggest troll Nishio has ever pulled on his readers. Koyomi "sinks" through the bathroom mirror and ends up in a mirror world, where every character he's met (so far) shows how mirrored they are by speaking entirely using mirror-flipped text. If this poo poo doesn't stop soon, I'm going to have have an aneurysm. Urgh.

Edit: Example page:

He did this (or something similar; can't remember) with Katanagatari too. So it's less a troll and more of a gimmick he probably decided to amp up.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's pretty much confirming that it's going to animate the First Part of the "Final Season" for the Monogatari series... which is bullshit because Nisio has obviously grown way too comfortable with the Monogatari setting.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

i'm pretty sure she's denied her own agency because she's a character in an otaku harem drama where the harem contains the MC's younger sisters, his sisters' friends, and no fewer than four other prepubescent girls

That's too meta even for someone as in love with his own anus as Nisio. Then again since Nadeko is presumably a budding mangaka, I wouldn't put it past him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

They really are going to finish this stupid thing off before getting to Kizu, aren't they

You know, as much of a love-hate relationship as I have with the series/franchise/Nisio himself, I honestly don't care about Kizu getting animated. Mostly because almost everything that Kizu could provide as far as world building goes (Araragi is a horndog with the self-worth level of Shiro Emiya, Tsubasa was a horribly broken human being, Meme is... who the gently caress knows?) has already been covered some place else.

I'm honestly more interested in seeing if any other work by this guy gets animated.

Like Zaregoto. Holy crap would an anime of Zaregoto rule.

• Locked thread