Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The OP: that's a Tsukiyomi reference, right? So are SHAFT/Shinbou referencing that just because Tsukiyomi was another SHAFT/Shinbou show, or are they referencing it because they're trying to draw some sort of equivalence between the characters of Hanekawa and Hazuki?

Show is going hard fanservice right from the off, it appears. Oh, it's down from Nise (just about), but if you go and compare this episode with the first episode of Bake it's like night and day. Sad, but I guess it's just something you have to deal with with this series. :sigh:

Oh, and of all the possible way to handle the (LN spoilers) losing time/chapters thing, that was probably the least imaginative. :(

HoneyBoy posted:

About the show itself, I wish the characters had something to talk about in Araragi's absence that wasn't just Araragi himself. But then again I want him to come back too, so I'd probably be guilty of that too. At least there's a developing friendship between them without Araragi involved which is a good thing.

Well, this entire arc is about Hanekawa and Senjougahara's relationship, and Hanekawa learning to overcome her problems without Araragi's help. So. There is a non-zero probability that this show will one day pass the Bechdel test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Clarste posted:

Shouldn't you compare it to the second episode? Which as I recall was mostly Senjougahara in her underwear. This whole scene actually felt like a callback to that.

It's about six minutes of nekkid Senjougahara out of twenty-five, yes, though that is pretty much all of the fanservice in the episode. Here, it kicks off with Mayoi and just doesn't stop.

But uh, I think I probably shouldn't have brought it up. :can:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

darkgray posted:

It's been too long since I read the books, but I think the resolution of Senjougahara's issues with Kaiki in the last part of Nisemon means that she can finally become a normal human being with proper emotions and so on. This is a display of that.

That said, it took me by surprise the way it was presented, and I don't remember feeling so ??? when reading it. I guess they removed the explanation.

I can't really remember either, but I think in the books it relied a lot more on how she spoke, which doesn't come across in the translation too well. In the anime they can go batshit with expressions and gestures.

I wish it wasn't quite so extreme, to be honest; it feels a bit like someone's taken Senjougahara and replaced her with a pod person.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Popo posted:

Niso is also doing really well in general and wants all his work animated

I thought it was the opposite- he thought his stuff was unfilmable, and it was Kodansha and SHAFT that really pulled for it. I know he's flat-out rejected a Zaregoto adaption. (:negative:)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Popo posted:

Man, maybe I'm wrong then. I'm sure he said something to the effect of wanting to see more of his works animated in the same interview Shinbo called dibs on Monogatari. It's been a while since I read it but I was pretty sure...

Well, I guess I'm not the most reliable of sources. Most of what I know about this stuff comes from /a/. :v:

Popo posted:

One day I really want to see SHAFTs records of their planning meetings and what not. They seem to have a remarkable relationship with time management.

Wild-rear end guess out of nowhere: somewhere, there is someone who is not as willing to crack the whip as they should be. They can't have that bad a sense of time, or they'd be fundamentally incapable of animating, and I don't think they're that bad at pacing, relative to the industry as a whole. The only times when they seem to have problems with time management is when it comes to meeting deadlines.

(I don't know why I am thinking so hard about this)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

veekie posted:

If you survive the toothbrushing you can take anything else that comes.

Nah. Peak loligatari is the bath scene with Shinobu. Tooth-brushing was pretty tame in comparison, I thought.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

:shrug:

What can I say? Toothbrushing feels more like a joke, than anything. It's hyperbolic comedy. Shinobu naked in the bath, on the other hand, really doesn't serve any purpose beyond "Hey, do you like naked 8-year-old girls? Here's some naked 8-year-old girl!" It's purely titillative. (And, yes, it is sexually framed, just not to the degree of other scenes).

Though I'll grant you, all of this had to be pointed out to me. The first time round, all I cared about was that Shinobu was finally talking. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Wark Say posted:

On the other hand, probably people are getting a little sick of Nisio Isin himself. Hell, didn't the Medaka Box anime basically bombed?

Medaka Box is a bit of a lame horse because interesting bits, the middle arcs with Kumagawa and the Minuses and the Not-Equals and the crazy meta-textual superpowers, are preceded by one of the most tediously generic and banal opening arcs I have ever forced myself to finish. You have to be really loving dedicated to like that manga. Did the anime ever even get that far?

• Locked thread