Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Welcome to Genshiken Second Season. Despite the name this is actually the third season for the Genshiken anime and things are quite a bit different this time around. The first two seasons were adaptations of the first manga. This newest season is an adaptation of the "Second Generation" manga that was started after the end of the original work. It features a number of new characters with cameo appearances for the old cast. In addition the voice actors for the majority of the characters have changed.

Who's working on this?
Production I.G.
The director is Tsutomu Mizushima (Another, Girls und Panzer, Squid Girl, Azazel-San, xxxHOLiC)

I live under a rock, what is this?
Genshiken is primarily about the escapades of a university club (referred to as a circle) full of otaku. The club's name Genshiken is an abbreviation of the full name Gendai Shikaku Bunka Kenkyūkai which translates to "The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture". Per the title the club concerns themselves with all aspects of "otaku culture" including anime, manga, video games, and cosplay.

I didn't watch the first two seasons, can I watch this?
Absolutely! As mentioned above, the cast of characters for this is largely new, the events of the previous series are mentioned, but by no means will you be confused. That said, the first two seasons are very good (better than this season for sure) and I highly recommend you watch them eventually.

CHARACTERS

Chika Ogiue Nozomi Yamamoto
The fifth and current president of Genshiken. Ogiue is a self confessed otaku hater and hates fujoshi in particular. Paradoxically she is a hardcore fujoshi herself and as a skilled artist has produced her own doujinshi. She is currently in a relationship with Sasahara.

Kanako Ohno Yukana
Genshiken's fourth president before passing the role along to Ogiue. Ohno is a cosplay fanatic, often roping those around her into the act. She also is a fujoshi, though her tastes run towards a specific type: muscular, middle-aged, exceedingly bald men. She is currently dating Tanaka.

Susanna Hopkins Naomi Hozora
Ohno's American friend who has moved to Japan to attend University. Sue has only a rough grasp of the Japanese language and as a result often speaks in quotes from various Anime and Manga. This makes her appear particularly rude and unsociable.

Manabu Kuchiki Jun Fukuyama
Kuchiki is loud, obnoxious and abrasive. He often gets himself into trouble by doing this that are either indecent or downright illegal. Serves mostly as background comedic relief.

NEW MEMBERS

Rika Yoshitake Sumire Uesaka
Merei Yajima Yumi Uchiyama
Yoshitake is bright, energetic and cheerfull. She is an unrepentant fujoshi. Yajima on the other hand is quiet and reserved, and while also a fujoshi is less blatant about it. Both joined Genshiken after seeing Oguie's artistic skills.

http://i.imgur.com/6Ffn9Fi.jpg
Kenjiro Hato Ai Kakuma Kazutomi Yamamoto
Hato is Genshiken's third new member. Like the other new members Hato loves yaoi and boy's love manga and doujinshi, however Hato is actually a guy in crossdress, making him a fudanshi.

OLD MEMBERS

Kanji Sasahara Tatsuya Kobashi
Genshiken's third president and primary protagonist of the first two seasons. Sasahara is originally a somewhat reserved otaku, but after meeting the members of Genshiken he eventually embraces his hobbies. Currently Sasahara has graduated and is working as a manga editor. He is also dating Ogiue.

Souichirou Tanaka Takayuki Kondou
Tanaka is a skilled costume designer and gunpla/plamo builder. He often makes costumes for his girlfriend Ohno as well as the other female members of Genshiken. Compared to his fellow former members he is fairly neutral in personality.
Mitsunori Kugayama Hiroki Yasumoto
Stuttering and heavyset, Kugayama is self conscious and while an artist of some skill, lacks the motivation to produce quality work in a timely fashion. Currently Kugayama has graduated and works at a medical device manufacturing company.
Harunobu Madarame Kazuyuki Okitsu
The second president of Genshiken, Madarame bills himself as the most hardcore otaku of the group. He is quite vocal about it hobbies and prone to ranting at length. Despite graduating and getting a job Madarame lives only five minutes away from the University and often drops in for his lunch break.

Saki Kasukabe Rina Satou
Originally an anti-otaku, Saki serves as antagonist for the first two seasons. Her presence in Genshiken a result of her attraction to Kousaka who she is currently dating. As the series progresses she becomes less against the groups interests and even participates in some of their events.
Makoto Kousaka Momoko Ohara
Unusually good looking and fashionable for an otaku, but perhaps the most hardcore of the group. Kousaka is perhaps most well known for his skill at fighting games. Currently he works as a programmer for and ero-game company.

Where can I watch this?
Crunchyroll is streaming it: here

The hell is a fujoshi?
This term is going to come up a lot this season, so here's the basics. Fujoshi translates literally to rotten girl and refers to female otaku who are particular fans of yaoi and boy-love themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

Namtab posted:

Soylentbits posted:

How on Earth do you consider Saki an antagonist? Disliking their nerd lifestyle does not make her an antagonist.
She wanted to shut down anime club for like the entire first year!

Yeah, pretty much this. She's vocally hateful and abusive to most of the club members and would have nothing to do with them if not for her interest in Kousaka. Her character changes a lot in the end, but that doesn't change the fact she acted in opposition to the group for quite some time.

XboxPants posted:

If you're looking for something more grounded you could always try the sequel/spinoff manga, Spotted Flower. It's about Madarame as a (spoilers for his future) married adult. http://mangafox.me/manga/spotted_flower/c001/1.html

I don't think it's ever been confirmed that the guy in this is Madarame. The similarities are there, but it's too vague to be sure.

Amstrad fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 9, 2013

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

The second OP's animation sequence was a Gundam parody and it was honestly mediocre as a song in my opinion. The current OP is alright, though I was pretty ambivalent about it until I bothered to listen to the lyrics. I will agree that the current ending blows though.

I quite like the second OP. But I imagine it's mostly due to the fact it's a Gundam parody in both animation and music.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

Was it just me, or was there a joke about Free! doujin in this episode?

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

arhra posted:

a recoloured Asuka

Fairly certain the not-Asuka is actually newcomer Mari from rebuild.

Edit: The girl with the twintails and hairbuns in the back right looks like Shipon from Stellvia to me, but that's entirely to old to be the case. The ones in the black suits are likely Akane and Shinya from Psycho-Pass.

Amstrad fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 14, 2013

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

Yes, this thread is for the anime. Some have been a little light handed with future manga spoilers as well, but I'm not sure anyone who hasn't read the manga is actually watching this so *shrug*

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

Some great nods in the latest episode:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

For anyone who hasn't been reading Spotted Flower I suggest checking out the latest chapter as it features a couple familiar looking faces.

• Locked thread