Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Nate RFB posted:

The first iteration didn't completely hinge upon liking Sasahara, though. You'd be hard pressed to even say he was the main character for much of the story.

This times a thousand. You could have had the original Genshiken without Sasahara, as the rest of the cast had their own stories to tell. Outside of Hato and Madarame, the cast of this modern Genshiken feels shallow and uninteresting in comparison. Even then, Hato's story has been dragged out in such an irritating fashion at this point, even his story is disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
While I really wouldn't care if Madarame ended up with a dude, it would take a ton of chapters of soul searching for him to realize he's open to that. A ton of chapters, mind you, that I really don't feel like wasting after being dragged through Hato's molasses-paced inner turmoil. As it is, it would seem really jarring and dumb for Madarame to open up to dudes after spending an entire series and then some holding a torch for a woman. Not saying it's a character progression that couldn't happen, but I just couldn't see it turning out well at all.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
First series easily. Maybe some rose-tinted glasses at work, but I felt the first series utilized its full cast better.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
For what it's worth, I enjoyed the latest chapter. I don't care what Hato decides to identify as, so long as he makes up his mind and commits to one. I realize that I can't really relate to his plight, but even so I felt like the pacing got really bad as Hato waffled about. If things are pretty much decided now, awesome. There are some good pieces in place for the coming chapters.

• Locked thread