Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Let it be said that I enjoyed the references to Bakemonogatari in this episode more than I enjoyed the new episode of Monogatari itself. I... I don't know how to feel about that.

Fundamentally, I think there are two ways to view the predominantly female cast of the Second Generation. A) Shows about girls sell more so they're cashing it on that while at the same time being kind of meta about it or B) showing the otaku fandom from an entirely different perspective. Well, not that Ogiue's fujoshi tendencies were irrelevant before. I'm not sure which one I believe more.

I think one major misstep with this new season is the introduction of a "trap" character (Kuchiki certainly seems enthusiastic about this). One of Genshiken's selling points has always been it's basic grounding in reality. It's not completely realistic of course, but it's striven to maintain a "this could happen, somewhere" feel to it. Unless the show feels like tackling a huge mess of gender issues that aren't particularly relevant to the supposed subject matter of the series, such a character just seems out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The references aren't really used as a source of humor so much as a subtle way of attaching you to the characters. If you get them then by definition you're closer to them since you've seen the same shows as them. When you're telling a story about anime fans that sort of authenticity is appreciated. But even if you're not a hardcore fan who gets all the references, it's still a story about people.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

Wait, how is this unrealistic?

It's not unrealistic per se, but it changes the genre of the show because treating it realistically requires diverting a lot of focus to it. Just ignoring it would be unrealistic.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It just means he wasn't planning a sequel when he ended the first series. Doesn't seem that odd to me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

To be perfectly honest, to me it felt like half the cast of the original series weren't even characters to begin with. I mean, you've got fat-guy and ponytail-guy and the old president of the club who have never been relevant in any way (okay, ponytail-guy is Ohno's boring boyfriend). Kohsaka of course has never been a character either, being more of a plot device in terms of being the perfect, ideal otaku. Now, I won't deny that the characters who did get focus were spread out somewhat more evenly, probably because Sasahara isn't particularly interesting on his own, but even the side girls from the new season already have more "character" than half the cast of the original.

Of course, being boring might be one of the reasons people found it easier to identify with them.

• Locked thread