Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kolos posted:

I gave up reading the manga of genshinken a couple of months ago, it was that bad (at least for me)

You are not alone, since the manga re-started it became just plain bad. Not even amusing, just bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
^^^ A agree with you on Yajima, she's by far the most interesting of the new members. The others? Not so much. And the problem with Hato is not his issues with cross-dressing or sexual orientation but that the author keeps shoveling him down our throats

Potsticker posted:

It definitely feels like the two parts of the manga are supposed to appeal to different audiences. I couldn't stand what seemed like the otaku glorification at the beginning of the manga, but I love the fujoshi club and the drama. To be fair, the amount of plot that focuses on Hato does get a little out of hand when I wish the mangaka would focus on some of the other characters a bit more.

Manga chat that involves much later stuff: I felt like the story would've been more interesting to me if Hato remained straight, but my inner fujoshi is rooting for MadaramexHato.

That could be it because I just went and read the last 10 or so chapters to get up to date and the only interesting (to me) things that happen deal with generation1 characters. If you are writing a character-based story you need interesting characters, and, from my point of view, generation2 is pretty much screwed in that area. Even their gimmicks are lame.

At least the amount of Hato in "Genshiken: the Hato years" has gone down a little.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 9, 2013

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

Well, if you just read that much, you probably missed the introductions to the new characters, and you're already invested in the old ones so it doesn't surprise me that you had that sort of reaction.

A lot of what AnonSpore said is true for me, too. Yajima at the very least has a really compelling story and the stuff with her that doesn't involve Hato is interesting to read. Not that relationship she has with Hato is uninteresting, especially at the beginning, but the Hato fatigue definitely brings things down a bit. Hopefully the anime won't dive too heavily into that. Do we know how much this Second Generation anime is supposed to cover?

No, I have read the whole thing. I just read 10 chapters or so that were released since I stopped reading Genshiken due to a Hato-related malaise. Yajima is cool. The others? not so much.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AnonSpore posted:

^^ Can you explain what exactly you dislike so much about Hato? I see a lot of that sentiment and it always seems to boil down to him getting too much screen time, or him being unable to make up his mind about his issues.

That's pretty much it, way too much focus on him. The problem with Hato is that he's just not interesting enough to be able to carry so much screen time. I sympathize with his issues but, by the tenth time we have yet another character that nooo waaaayyyyy! she's not a girl?! it gets tiring.

• Locked thread