Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I really have been enjoying the manga, though I really only started when a friend shoved the second generation stuff in front of me.

Watching this first episode I have to say it is dissapointing that Hato has a completely different voice actor for his male voice because the two sound really dissimilar and it was really jarring when it swapped for a moment in the first episode. Took me completely out of the show.

Still, the story is great and I look forward to seeing it animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

trucutru posted:

You are not alone, since the manga re-started it became just plain bad. Not even amusing, just bad.

It definitely feels like the two parts of the manga are supposed to appeal to different audiences. I couldn't stand what seemed like the otaku glorification at the beginning of the manga, but I love the fujoshi club and the drama. To be fair, the amount of plot that focuses on Hato does get a little out of hand when I wish the mangaka would focus on some of the other characters a bit more.

Manga chat that involves much later stuff: I felt like the story would've been more interesting to me if Hato remained straight, but my inner fujoshi is rooting for MadaramexHato.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

trucutru posted:

That could be it because I just went and read the last 10 or so chapters to get up to date and the only interesting (to me) things that happen deal with generation1 characters. If you are writing a character-based story you need interesting characters, and, from my point of view, generation2 is pretty much screwed in that area. Even their gimmicks are lame.

At least the amount of Hato in "Genshiken: the Hato years" has gone down a little.

Well, if you just read that much, you probably missed the introductions to the new characters, and you're already invested in the old ones so it doesn't surprise me that you had that sort of reaction.

A lot of what AnonSpore said is true for me, too. Yajima at the very least has a really compelling story and the stuff with her that doesn't involve Hato is interesting to read. Not that relationship she has with Hato is uninteresting, especially at the beginning, but the Hato fatigue definitely brings things down a bit. Hopefully the anime won't dive too heavily into that. Do we know how much this Second Generation anime is supposed to cover?

vvvvv Oh, I misunderstood, then. Sorry.

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 9, 2013

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Maybe I'm being too harsh on Hato, since I don't dislike him at all. Hato's struggles are really interesting and learning about his past and why he dresses specifically like he does. My only problem is how much it dominates over the other members' own personal stories.

Edit: Oh, I'm dumb, those arrows look like you were asking trucutru instead.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The best part of that is the grandmother suggesting names for the baby. :allears:

• Locked thread