Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
If you're looking for something more grounded you could always try the sequel/spinoff manga, Spotted Flower. It's about Madarame as a (spoilers for his future) married adult. http://mangafox.me/manga/spotted_flower/c001/1.html

Only eight chapters so far 'cause it comes out like quarterly or something horrible like that. But it's really good in a :unsmith: way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

It's actually pretty awful and even more of a fetish story than Genshiken The Next Generation. E: Also pretty sure that isn't Madarame.

Around chapter 4 & 5 it seemed like it was taking a turn for the better, but looking now I can see that it went straight back into fetish territory. It could really be a great slice-of-life story if it toned things down even a little bit.

Regarding the main guy, he's never named, but it's implied. It's left vague enough that you can take it however you want to, though. It's definitely much more of a "what-if" than what I originally said.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Amstrad posted:

I don't think it's ever been confirmed that the guy in this is Madarame. The similarities are there, but it's too vague to be sure.

(I'm not sure how to handle this, since it's sort of a non-canon possible future, but I'll just play it safe)
Yeah, though they all but spell out that the girl is Saki. Had done the same Kujibiki cosplay, her last boyfriend was an Otaku, also named by her grandmother, etc. Someone that could possibly even be Ohno shows up.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I actually really, really like the new series and the fujoshi focus - much more than I thought I would, anyway. Right now is a great time to get a show that focuses on girl nerds in a fairly realistic way. It's way better than if they had just tried to do a new cast with rehashed versions of the old characters archetypes.

I think one of my favorite things is how harsh and unflattering Genshiken can be about its portrayal of nerds (Kuchiki, Yajima). They're annoying and just barely accepted, but groups of nerds have people like that, and it kinda helps ground the show.

sincx posted:

I can't believe the anime just completely skipped over Vol. 8 + 9 (Sasahara getting with Ogiue and graduation), my favorite part in the series.

I wondered what the hell happened. I felt like there was a bunch of important stuff I'd missed in the plot, but when I looked at the previous anime series it didn't look like there was anything I hadn't seen. That would explain it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

PoorWeather posted:

So... This is probably a dumb question considering how it's already been touched on in the thread, but is Hato supposed to be transgendered...? The show seems to be giving mixed signals in how seriously it's taking the character in that regard. On one hand, we get silly or kinda gross/fetishy stuff like the other characters referring to them as a "trap" (though I'm not sure if that's just a translation issue) and them talking about shipping themselves as a boy with someone, etc.

But on the other, they also say stuff like "I want you to see me as a girl" and show discomfort at the idea of dressing as a boy in front of the other club members - And initially seem freak out when Madarame sees them like that when they falls asleep in his apartment, which makes it seem like a lot more then typical anime kooky "for fun" crossdressing. And the weird thing with the female "self" floating around makes it even more confusing.

Obviously they're in denial of some issue, but it's hard to tell what it wants me to think about the character, or if it's even thinking about that aspect as anything but comedy, which would kinda bother me.

The way I'm thinking about it right now is that even Hato isn't sure what's up right now, which is pretty common for someone who just started to consider this kind of stuff.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Hey AnonSpore, since we're on the topic of raws, I had a question about Spotted Flower and thought maybe you'd know. Do you have any idea if chapter 9 is scanned & online anywhere yet? As near as I can tell, Rakuen Le Paradis #12 has been out for quite a while and had a new chapter in it, but I couldn't find raws for it anywhere.

Hope it doesn't come off like I'm bugging you - just wondering if chp9 is even out. Much appreciation for all the translations you did! Maybe I'll just order a copy of the book, it's only like $9...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Hey Genshiken fans!

If you liked when it focused on Saki, now you should track down Spotted Flower and read that.

(also holy poo poo dude feel free to proofread your posts)

• Locked thread