Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
After Psystar got shutdown for basically bullshit reasons, I doubt any component OEM would be willing to advertise that.

There was a kickstarter for a OS X mobo, wonder how that turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

invid posted:

IIRC it will only work if you're solo booting Mac OS X with some sleep/display rotate script. Won't work if you're dual booting Win and Mac Os X because the graphicframenbuffer won't be injected and you would not be able to select which OS to boot to.

That's only applicable to real Mac Pros, on a Hack you will get all the normal BIOS and bootloader screens that a PC would.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Everything looks pretty good but if maximum stability is your main concern then I would stick with a card that exists in a real Mac, and preferably a reference model at that.

Someone might correct me on this point, but I thought the NV 7xx video cards were still experimental in OS X as opposed to say the 680 or Radeon 7950.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

For two OSes I'd recommend two disks, just because it makes it so much easier to get into one OS if the other is acting up, or to unplug your OS X disk when installing windows to ensure that it won't overwrite your bootloader with its own retarded version.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I can't say I've ever tried (although I did go Rev A of one mobo to Rev B of the same mobo once) but in theory you should be able to do just as you said and have it boot just fine. Of course remember the BIOS settings on the new one.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yeah, I only bother if there's new graphics drivers or some specific bug addressed. The last few point releases of OS X have been pretty bad for that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

A question of my own: today when I came out of sleep, I started reading some emails and suddenly my monitor displayed only static. Turning the monitor off and on didn't change anything, but I rebooted and everything seems fine. It's weird because it looked just like TV static but I use DVI which is of course digital. I gather that sometimes this happens on real macs too? Anybody else have this happen? (I have an 8800gtx)

Crazy coloured static?
That is a long-standing OS X bug.

Usually turning the display off and on will fix it but I guess not in your case unfortunately.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Now I think about it it might be something to do with HDCP. That would make sense with the random coloured pixels and also why it only ever happened on my Dell monitor and not my Apple (20" ACD without HDCP support.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

An i5 should be more than fine for software decoding, and I doubt OS X will actually use any GPU you might add for hardware decoding.

If Plex has a fairly complicated UI it might help I guess?

Edit: Something called VTDecoderXPCService uses 30-40% of a single CPU when I play a 1080p H.264 MP4 in QuickTime Player. OS X 10.8.3, NVidia GTX 680.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Aug 13, 2013

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

OS X can't do normal Intel RAID but you can use the software RAID in Disk Utility to do RAID-0 or -1.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

teagone posted:

Are Gigabyte boards the only ones that are properly supported?

I believe it's nothing to do with Gigabyte per se, merely that they tend to have the same ethernet and audio devices as real Macs do.
That means the kexts are easier, which means they are less buggy and more people use them, which leads to more build logs and tutorials which leads to a bigger community and more support.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

For anyone who really wants a touchscreen Mac you can just buy a ModBook Pro anyway.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yep, I have presumably the exact same ethernet as you but on a PCI-E card and installing the kext from MultiBeast works perfectly.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

Sometime later in the year I plan on blowing some cash on my first ever Hackintosh. Since I still do some PC gaming I plan on dual-booting it with Windows. However, for some less-intensive games (DOTA 2 or whatever) it'd be handy for me to run an extra install of Windows in a VM so that I can play them while doing my main stuff on a Mac (unless there's some way to hop into my main Windows install through a VM and get access to all my stuff, in which case holy gently caress that's awesome!)

Is an SSD (currently planning two 120GB SSDs, one each for OSX/Windows) basically a must-have these days for installing software on? Or would a 60GB SSD drive for each OS and then install Steam, Adobe CS, etc on a regular ol' HDD be sufficient? It seems that my shopping list technique of "I want everything with the biggest numbers" is not going to be friendly with my bank account so I'm seeing what I can drop down on while still having a solid computer that'll last me a good few years.

As you can tell, it's been a long time since I really knew what I was doing building computers and I have very little experience with OSX's performance.

Also: 8GB RAM? 16GB?

1. Why not run the OS X version of DOTA2?

2. VMWare Fusion can run your Windows install as a VM while you're booted into OS X.

3. I would suggest a 120GB SSD for each OS, but that's hardly a strict requirement if cash and/or storage space are issues.

4. 8GB RAM is fine.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

That's awesome news about VMWare Fusion! Looks like I'll be able to avoid having to copy save files back and forth then. So I can run that Windows install as a VM as well as natively, or is it just converting a native install into a VM then I have to run it virtualised from then on? Also, are VMs still unable to do much with the graphics card or is that a thing of the past now?

You can run the Windows install as a VM or boot into it natively as much as you wish.

Games/OpenGL performance in the VM is not great, but is certainly playable especially for older stuff.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

1. TRIM support in OS X has a check for an "Apple" vendor string on the SSD. There is a very simple patch that removes this artificial limitation so that any SSD will have proper TRIM support.

2. I believe you can go into the App Store, find the Mountain Lion entry, then option-click on the button to re-download the installer image.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

SOL because you need 10.6 to run the MAS.

Honestly the easiest thing would be to pirate 10.9 then buy a 10.6 DVD to "make it legit".

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

IANAL etc. but Apple v. Psystar hinged upon them making a copy of the OS X installation on some kind of master server which cloned itself to every hard drive that they would then install into individual computers. The legality of the click-through EULA in the situation where you buy a single copy of OS X and install it onto a single computer was not addressed.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Demie posted:

Macs haven't come with PS2 for many years

Or ever. :P

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Updated to Mavericks finally, was very simple as per usual.

For future reference:
1) Install latest Chimera
2) Restore 10.9 bootable install image to a volume
3) Optionally clone current 10.8 volume to a spare disk and check that it is bootable in case something goes wrong
4) Boot off 10.9 install image and install to your main disk (20 min, slower than 10.7 and 10.8...)
5) Boot off main disk, install audio and ethernet kexts, restart again.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Alright I'll take that back slightly.

I'm getting an issue where I will randomly lose ethernet connectivity. From memory, I got a similar thing happening back in the 10.7 days.

I've currently installed the Intel Ethernet kext from MultiBeast. Has anyone else run into this issue?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

If you want a RAID I would really recommend a RocketRAID or similar. I have a 2720 with an internal 5 drive RAID-5 and it works great.

I don't know anything about TB though sorry.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The 6 SATA ports provided by the Intel chipset should all work fine. (Otherwise how is your Mac even booting?)
The main problem is that there's no way to make a decent RAID with them as OS X only has software RAID 0 or 1.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Should work fine. If the onboard sound/network chipsets are some weird noname brand then you will need to use replacement USB or PCI-E peripheral cards instead.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

lol

code:
Last login: Sat Dec 21 12:19:42 on ttys000
blackrockspire:~ coxy$ cat /System/Library/Extensions/AppleKextExcludeList.kext/Contents/Info.plist | grep netkas
		<key>org.netkas.FakeSMC</key>
		<key>org.netkas.HPETDevice</key>
		<key>org.netkas.driver.FakeSMC</key>
		<key>org.netkas.fakesmc</key>
		<key>org.netkas.hda</key>

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Is there a recognised fix for iMessage yet? Having troubles with it again on an install that once worked perfectly. :woz:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

In /Extras/modules/ put the FileNVRAM.dylib file from this guy's site: http://routerjockey.com/2013/01/23/fixing-imessage-on-hackintosh/

Worked perfectly, thanks!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

spookygonk posted:

I have a job where I'm editing photo & video on Mac Pros with Final Cut Studio / Adobe CS3 Master Collection. I learnt the basics of Final Cut Pro 6 on a HP Probook 4530S laptop I got to run Snow Leopard (dual booting with Windows 8), but that's only an i3 chip so not really usable for big edits. Now I've been asked to dig in with Motion and most likely Adobe After Effects & Photoshop for video graphics.

A decent spec second hand Mac Pro in the UK runs to around £800+, but I could build a new CustoMac hackintosh using TonyMac's latest parts list for not much more. I can dual boot it with Windows 7 and then that can replace my current PC. Is that a good idea?

edit more words

Do you like building PCs and are you fine with executing terminal commands? Go for it.

(And even that second one is barely needed anymore these days, it's so easy.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is it possible to do a hackintosh setup thing on one partition, have linux on another, and windows 8.1 on another on the same hard drive?

is it possible to upgrade later to an nvidia graphics card from an HD5550 later on and not gently caress up the install?

1) Yes it is, however it would be a bit of a pain in the rear end and carry with it some degree of risk so I highly recommend you have OS X at the least on its own disk. Neither Windows nor Linux installers respect the OS X bootloaders (ie. Chameleon et al.)

2) Yes no problem.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Sasquatch! posted:

What's the normal method here: Reboot the PC and pick which drive you want to boot off of in the BIOS?

This does work but is obviously a pain compared to setting the Mac drive as the default in the BIOS then letting Chameleon chain-boot into Windows.

Just gotta make sure to unplug the Mac disk when you're installing Windows.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Depending on your mobo the exact millisecond you are able to have it recognise that you pressed the F12 key can be kind of a pain as opposed to a nice 10 second or whatever window with countdown.

Also it can be a bit of a pain to remember which arcane hard disk identifier is which OS but I just have a lot of disks on my system.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Updates are usually pointless unless there's something in the fix list that personally affects you.
Of course they often have security features rolled in so it's better to apply them anyway...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Turn off checking for updates entirely?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

RandomCheese posted:

Is it possible to use migration assistant with a hackintosh? I don't think target-disk mode will be an option but if you can import user data via a DMG or drive caddy then I'd be a bit more ambitious with my upgrading.

Yes you can. Migration Assistant doesn't do anything with the OS, just users, apps, etc.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I have never dual booted from the same disk, but this should work.

1. Install Clover onto USB stick.
2. Boot off USB stick and check that you can still get into OS X on your SSD.
3. Install Windows onto SSD partition. Clover on the SSD is likely nuked.
4. Test booting into both OSes off USB stick. Hopefully you can get into OS X and Windows without issue.
5. After booting into OS X using the USB stick, install Clover onto the SSD.
6. Booting off the SSD should now work for both OSes, hopefully.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Get one of the new Thinkpads with a LED in the dot of the i in "Thinkpad" and put the Apple sticker over it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Is anyone else having trouble with Clover and the Yosemite installer?

When I prepare a USB stick with the OS X installer, I get stuck on waiting for root device.

When I put the Yosemite installer on a hard disk and boot off that instead, the machine forcibly restarts roughly where you would expect it to bring up the UI.

Chameleon was always a lot easier in the old days. :smith:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yeah, I'm still using a Z68 mobo. Maybe I'll need to get a UEFI only one.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

It also won't give you an EFI boot screen (gray screen which can wind up at the boot disk menu if you hold down option), the screen will stay black until the login window / desktop (if you have automatic login) comes up.

That's a Mac Pro thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Not that OS X has great OpenGL performance anyway, but IIRC all UE3 games would be cider wrappers which does explain at least some of the lower performance compared to Windows. Valve and Blizzard games are at least "closer".

• Locked thread