Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The Risk posted:

Welp I need to wait for a steam sale.

The only Civ 5 expansion that Steam does not allow a retail cd-key is brave new world.

It says on the Amazon page (if you click PC Download) that it requires a Steam client to activate, are you sure about that?

Edit: I am dumb, the download version isn't on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Jesus I got lovely at this game when I stopped playing for a couple years...dunno what I'm even doing wrong, probably not expanding aggressively enough.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Gort posted:

Here are some hard-and-fast rules for expansion in vanilla:

1. Don't expand if it will give you two more cities than someone you don't want to hate you
2. Don't expand if it will give you negative happiness
3. If it's before the industrial era, and you have four cities, don't expand

(You're using all the broken stuff in the game already, right? Nothing but ranged units, Tradition -> Patronage -> Rationalism, all trade feeds food back to the capital, playing Poland, rushing the National College?)

Lord Justice posted:

[lots of words]

Anyway, that should get you through the early game.

Thank you for these! I used to play Civ more a couple years ago, recently picked it up again and...I've been struggling. Some games have gone really well, some games not so much and I haven't been able to figure out why. This will at least help streamline some choices. A couple questions:

What makes Poland so good? The free Social Policies? I've been playing Brazil (early struggle, but a good jungle start and you run away with it once you get Acoustics and Universities) and Shoshone (love the extra tiles and the Pathfinder ability in ruins). Austria also looks interesting for the ability to buy CSs.

Any tips for playing Venice? It's so...different than anything else, I'd like to at least give it a shot but I don't have the experience under my belt to know how to start, it feels like.

Edit: For the record, I rarely go to war. I know I should more, I just...don't.

Edit 2: Any suggested mods? Nothing that will affect gameplay in huge ways, but HUD improvements, streamlining, things like that I guess. If it does affect gameplay in a meaningful way but it's still worth checking out for a relative newbie, I'm all ears. FWIW I have G&K + BNW and most, if not all DLC Civs.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 22, 2016

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Alright...need to do a diplo victory and a domination victory. Suggestions for each? Thinking Austria for diplo, not sure on domination though. Aztec or Inca maybe?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Gort posted:

AIs never agreeing to peace even when they're clearly losing is definitely something in vanilla Civ 5. As is human players saying "I guess I'll declare war on this guy on the other side of the world, maybe the sucker will pay me for peace".

Vox tries to fix it with war score, but some things are just too broken to fix the whole way.

Really? I don't remember ever seeing that, but I've mostly played G&K and BNW - and my general take is either the AI pushes for peace relatively quickly regardless of circumstances - circumstances of surrender depending on who's winning.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The White Dragon posted:

Farms, farms, farms, and farms. Even without fresh water, loving farms everywhere you possibly can. Leave bananas without a plantation because they cause -1 production, Jungles produce 2 science, and plantation only gives you +2 food +1 gold eventually. Maybe a Banana/Hills would be okay, but probably not.

Always be building Academies until about Scientific Theory, at which point the cumulative benefit from a newer academy probably won't outweigh the instant boost from a GS before the end of the game.

Unless you're playing Brazil - in which case Brazilwood camps EVERYWHERE.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Something strange just happened. Playing vanilla, a city belonging to another civ just up and swapped control to me. We share no borders, I'm not influential with them in culture, and they're not in open revolution from ideology. I've never gone to war with this civ. Any ideas what happened?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Krazyface posted:

By Vanilla, you mean BNW but no mods, right?

Correct.

Edit: Hell, a second city of theirs just converted. This is actually kind of annoying, it's tanking my happiness.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Their total happiness was -7, but we did have different ideologies. Third city just flipped - and I won the game the round after that.

• Locked thread