Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Apparently you now need to have a Declaration of Friendship in order to trade gold. May have to rethink the strategy of luxury selling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Oh god, Impi with upgrades are murder machines. A free ranged attack at the start of melee, +1 movement, +30% against ranged attacks, +10% combat strength, +10% on open terrain, and +75% flank attack contained in only 4 promotions. With their special barracks and going honor tree I got a core group of them with all four of these. They just roll over everything.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

uPen posted:

Someone with a different ideology than you has a shitload of tourism and is pissing off all your citizens. Your options are:
  • Switch Ideologies.
  • Get more culture to stave off their tourism.
  • Murder them.

This is always the correct option in Civ.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I never put this together on the tech tree, but in my most recent game I managed to invent the Internet without researching computers. Seems like there should be a prerequisite there.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Heavy Lobster posted:

that a unit that has "nuclear" in its name would generally hint at its capabilities in holding the only nuclear objects in the game.

The "nuclear" refers to the power system, not the ordinance. :ssh: For example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia-class_submarine

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I always felt Civ IIII had the best implementation to America. They were industrious (double speed workers) and expansionist (free scout, better bonuses from huts, and start with pottery.) If you got rolling America would just poo poo out cities and absolutely dominated the playing wide strategy. Each American city would likely be lower quality than other empire's, but you'd have so many in absolute numbers everyone else just got steamrolled. I tend to only play at the mid levels, but from reading this thread it seems to be the dominant strategies are all tall strategies. The solution is to modify Manifest Destiny so as to make America into an effective wide civilization. This can also be combined with the focus on winning culture victories if we look to America's history as a land of immigration. I would suggest changing Manifest Destiny to provide an increase in city growth based on how much your beating other civs at tourism/culture. I think for this to work they would also need a unique building that grants a combination of culture and happiness to fuel the wide growth. My first thought is make the econ buildings give a slight bonus to culture and happiness, but that feels overpowered. Another idea is that the city grown also increases the Great Person point generation in cities when active, to reflect all the immigrating talent.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I couldn't fathom playing a game like this with randoms.

When I play with my friends we love taking good barbarian fighting civs, turning on raging, and then removing about half the slotted civs from the map to ensure barbarians are always going to be at the gates. It makes for fun team games but does anyone know of any mods in this flavor that could liven things up?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I always liked the ability in Revolutions to in game assign names to various geographical features. Made it feel more immersive.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think it's a bit silly to look too deeply into the politics of a game that lets George Washington and Shaka Zulu go to war in 2000 BC because America beat the Zulus in building the Pyramids.

It's funny you said this because I just started an America game and Shaka spawned literally 7 tiles away from me. Guess I need to prepare for an early brawl.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

In my latest game I've run into a bug where when on the "Found a Religion" menu no matter what I select the "Found Religion" button never activates. Has anyone run into this, and if so is there a fix?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The White Dragon posted:

Can you do a workaround by calling up the religion overview from the tiny unscrolled-document button next to the Spy/Policies/Culture/Diplomacy keys in the top-right corner of the screen?

To clarify I'm in the religion menu. I've selected my religion name, founder belief, and first follower belief, but the found religion button doesn't activate for me to click.

Rebooted my system and now it's working. :iiam:

Soylent Pudding fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 29, 2014

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I had one game where two neighboring religions got into a holy war over my capital -- there were literally two Great Prophets that argued themselves to death by converting it back and forth on alternating turns.

I always wonder how confusing life must be for the city residents when this happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I've run into a weird bug where my wonder finishes building, doesn't appear in my city, doesn't give me the gold of a lost wonder race, and I get the option to start building the wonder from scratch all over again. Anyone ever see anything like this?

• Locked thread