Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Blown away at how fast this is downloading. Was expecting hours of waiting but it looks like 5 minutes is all that was needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Zulu unique promotions are hideously good :psyduck:

With an Ikanda you can buy Spearmen straight up with Buffalo Chest AND Buffalo Horns right out the gate. +50% to flanking total, +10% in open terrain, +20% defense against ranged attacks, and +1 movement. Get one promotion extra and you can tack on the third and final promotion for another +25% to flanking, another 10% against ranged, and a flat +10% combat strength.

Zulu is going to be my war mongering Civ. Started one and they declared war real quick on me and just pounded me. I have a feeling they'll be the Civ you don't want to start next to.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Do you need to decide what victory you want to go for real early like before? Or is it more fluid?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is this game harder now? I used to whoop the AI on Prince and now they're actually putting up a fight.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there something I'm missing when it comes to the theming bonus? I have the Sistine Chapel, it says I need to have two art pieces from the same era and civilization. I put two pieces from the Zulus in there both from the Ancient Era. No theming bonus.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Samopsa posted:

To deny the enemy science/gold maybe? Also to stop spreading religion influence. And of course when there is nothing else in range.

I almost always trade with city-states late in the game. Don't want to give the other Civs the extra science or gold. Sometimes I will with a civ that isn't a threat, but never with one that is. I also find that trading with a city-state that is close in proximity is less likely to have issues during a war or from barbarians.

Question about city-states, how can I get their support early in the game? It always feels like one Civ buddies up with all of them and it requires 80+ influence to get them to ally with me. How are they doing this? Mind you this isn't just BNW related, I've always had trouble getting them on my side early on.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

movax posted:

Early game quests are good for city-states, killing barbs near/in their territory, connecting trade resources (trying to chain these takes some work but it's worth it; i.e. figure out what everyone wants and there's usually 1 city-state you can ally with that'll trigger a domino effect). You can micro and kill barbs near their encampment (But not take it), reaping rewards from the kills, and then eliminate the camp at the last possible instant.

How does the domino effect work? I guess I'm confused at what gives you influence besides the quests and money. Or maybe that's it? It feels like I'll work my butt off helping one and when I get them to ally I look up and another Civ has the other 7 on the continent. I guess I don't understand how they manage to do this.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I also finished up a game with the Zulus. Almost feel they are overpowered. You can maintain a rather large army without it dinging your gold too much. And the Impi is a great UU. I was able to take over my continent rather early which makes the rest of the game much easier.

This isn't BNW necessarily, but what does everyone think of how nukes are done in the game? I feel like they are just too cheap and uranium too easy to come by. If I'm going for a domination victory, I feel like I can look up and see who is close to beating me in another area, and just wipe out their top cities like that. Obviously it mimics how damaging it is in the real world, but I feel like it should be harder to spam them and it should draw bigger ire from the other civs. And perhaps you shouldn't be able to use gold to purchase them, it should be something that has to take turns to build (and maybe can only be built in one city).

In my game Brazil was dominating the other continent. Had almost all the city-states aligned and a huge cultural advantage. I was able to wipe out any hope in a handful of turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Sometimes you can get lucky with quests, otherwise the ones with a ton of allies goes Patronage and Commerce and makes a crapload of money from trade routes to spend on the city states. The downside to trading with only the city states is that you make less money to buy influence with. It also helps to spread your religion to them, which reduces decay. That, combined with Patronage can go a long way. Late game, Freedom and Order have influence affecting tenets that really help a lot. Gunboat Diplomacy and Treaty Organization can keep you allied without spending any money and Arsenal of Democracy lets you replace monetary gifts with units, basically. Some people will go patronage and get the 20 influence resting point bonus and then pledge to protect a lot of city states for an additional influence resting point bonus and be perma-friended with cheap alliances, but that can be risky and bad for your overall world diplomacy if there are aggressive civs on the map. It synergies nicely with Freedom's Treaty Organization though.

A city state will request resources be hooked up to your trade network. You find another city state that offers that resource, buy them out, and end up getting two CS allies for the price of one. If that city state then offers another resource that another city state wants, the chain continues, but I find those kinds of opportunities rare.

To put it simply, the other civs are probably just making a lot more money than you are and have gone Patronage.

Thanks for the tips. Didn't even think about hooking up with a city-state that has a luxury another wants. I'll give Patronage a go next time I play, think I only tried it a couple times in the past. Never got real into religion.

One thing I do like about BNW is using great writers to write a treatise and get a huge culture bomb.

• Locked thread