Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
What's the best generic civilization to learn the game? I've got the basics figured out, but having a different civ with different abilities every game is still too confusing, so I'd like to just pick one and stick with it for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
Cool, thanks.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
I think I read in this thread that certain AI civs tend to do the same things later in the game, like stabbing you in the back or declaring war even though you've been friendly all game. Is there a short list of what to watch out for from what civs?

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
When you're promoting a sub, what's the difference between "combat strength against naval units" (Targeting) and "combat bonus when attacking" (Wolfpack)?

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

Kaal posted:

Wolfpack is a stronger bonus, but doesn't count for defense. It's what I usually pick, since it's often the difference between killing an enemy unit and letting them slink away. And if a submarine gets detected it's usually dead anyway.

Thanks.

I've also got a -30 happiness hit because people "want a new ideology". All I can find online is "produce more culture". Any tips?

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
What happens to your units when they are in another civ's territory and you declare peace or open borders expires? Can they just stay there?

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
The value of trade routes is expressed as x/turn, so it doesn't matter how far away your destination city is, right?

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
What are some fun maps to play? I've only been playing continents plus and Pangaea plus.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=431253630

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

So the OP suggests checking out YouTube to learn how to play the game "correctly". I'd like to learn as I've loved the civ games from the very beginning but I'm awful at them and play on the warlord difficulty.

If I have an aversion to YouTube is there somewhere I can read about how to actually play the game?...

http://www.carlsguides.com/strategy/civilization5/

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
Is there a way to replay the AI's unit moves at the end of a turn? Seeing how your opponents moved their guys is obviously hugely useful, but you've only got a couple of seconds while the game is calculating moves to zoom around the map to see who's doing what, and in which direction.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
Anybody regularly play maps larger than normal? I'm tempted by one of those giant real-earth maps but I don't want to be playing for two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

hah, I wanted to avoid the YOU HAVE DECLARED WAR ON A CIVILIZATION YOU DECLARED FRIENDSHIP WITH PENALTY but I wanted to attack this Civ so as to cut off some unwise bribe deals that I'd previously made to get it to declare war on this other Civ
so I bribed it into declaring war on another Civ I was friends with that I had a defensive pact with, thereby canceling all present and previous bribe deals and bringing me to war with the Civ I wanted to be at war with

but I still got the penalty :downs: they shot first!

Also I don't know if it's because I run a super modded game or if it's an update tweak but my previous easy mode strategy of constantly declaring war on Civs in exchange for danegeld seems to no longer work. This does make the game slightly more interesting if not challenging, all the Civs I'm at war with lately seem to deny the old "X gold per turn" or luxury deals and mostly throw their cities at you. Now I have more fun taking shitloads cities from Civs and then chucking them at other civs to wreak havoc, inter-Civ animosity, and enough unhappiness for perpetual revolution loops. It's hard for an AI civ to turn down a free-ish city. Meanwhile you're redrawing borders in the weirdest ways, making litle enclaves of Civs inside of Civs around the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_4bp8bBNVw

• Locked thread