Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I like the new thread tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I would still love to read GMG privileged forum posts snippets here while I wait.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

brocretin posted:

Ask and you shall recieve! :)

Oh god this is glorious. glorious

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

Personally, I will never preorder from GMG again, but that's not to say I wouldnt buy games from them if it was a deal. Why preorder if I didnt want to play on release though?

I figured this might happen with GMG, and my reasoning was that the 10+25% discounts wouldn't be available after the release date.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

Say we don't get our keys in the US till the 12th. Is that 7 bucks worth not getting to play it for 3 days after release? Personally if I dont have a key by about 1pm est tomorrow I'll probably just get a refund from them and get it on steam. It's not a huge deal but I'm willing to pay the money to actually play the game at launch.

More power to you; I'm just frugal as hell. I'll do something else in the meantime.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Well this doesn't look good:

quote:

Dean_Demon posted 4 minutes ago
Hi All If anyone hasn't received their key yet for the game please submit a Support Ticket if you haven't already done so already via: https://greenmangaming.zendesk.com/entries/23363853-How-to-submit-a-support-request and they will get back to you and look into this as soon as possible

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
:woop: Woke up to find my GMG code. Are the menu music lyrics saying something like "behold the new world"? "Terre novum eccem"?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I like how a lot of people are sharing experiences with all the different new civs. It seems the majority are raving about the Shoshone and Poland, but not a lot of people are talking about playing as Venice. I'll definitely try them next game.

My current and first game as Morocco is on hold right now as I'm at work, but I made it to the end of the first World Congress. I'm in second place point-wise, but everyone else seems to be ahead of me technologically. I started near Venice and they've bought three city-states near me; definitely a force to be reckoned with. The Shoshone are running away with the game though--for me they're like Hiawatha mk. II.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I wish you could swap for different types of great works, like a painting for a writing.

e: gently caress losing a coup at 85% :mad:

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 10, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Whoever suggested small continents as the best map type, I'm beginning to agree. I used to be all about fractal but I'm playing a game as Venice on it and the amount of sea routes I have is amazing and my bought city-states are perfectly distributed. I like how there's actually a very good mix of city-states on the larger continents as well as on far flung islands.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

The Human Crouton posted:

You can keep the awesome map style of continents plus, but have city-states spawn regularly instead of exclusively on the island chains by following the instructions in this thread.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=453587

I've done it, and it's great.

Any way to do this for Mac?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Venice is hella fun. In my current game I got the "Greed is good" achievement on accident for building Colossus, Petra, a harbor, and a caravansary. I should maybe bump it back up to King after I finish this game.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

How do you cancel a trade route? I keep clicking on my camel and going to the trade route screen and I can't figure it out.

You can't. You have to wait it out.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

Huh?

Does a trade route work the same as a deal then, they last a certain number of days? Where can I see how much longer is left?

On Trade Overview you can look at your current routes and even sort them by how much gold they're individually pulling in. You can also sort them by how many turns they have left before you can reassign them.

There definitely isn't a concrete amount of turns for them; there's some nebulous factors that cause some of them to last around 40 turns and some to last only around 20 turns from what I've noticed.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Varjon posted:

Finally had Shaka in one of my games,

Is no one else just playing with all the new civs? I play standard with 9 so it works out perfectly. I like to see those new leader scenes!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
So is there such a thing as non-ancient era artifacts? How am I supposed to fill out the Louvre?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Is it best practice to not go for founding a religion as Indonesia on account of their UB? I'm trying them out for the first time at the moment, and it's hard to push away building a shrine because there are two religious natural wonders within spitting distance of my capital.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

I enjoy naming my world congress WRESTLEMANIA with increasing roman numerals.

Ahaha I am doing this from now on. I also once renamed mine "Bunga Bunga Party Time" so that was pretty fun.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Ah, so that's the purpose of defensive pacts!

So that when Casimir declares war, Harald can get in on the action! Selvføgelig, min venn! :hfive: :denmark:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Great story. Really encapsulates the craziness that can happen late game now with BNW. Can I ask what difficulty you were playing?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I had some sort of weird glitch where Ashurbanipal was doing an even 1:1 trade for his last copy of crabs. He renewed it a bunch of times too. None of the other AIs were doing it.

fake edit: Mac finally got the update for moving iron back to Bronze Working. Were there any other significant things in that patch?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Feste posted:

I did register on the Aspyr site and checked their support threads, but couldn't find anything quite relevant to my situation. Waiting to hear back from them.

The GameAgent site cleared my specs (and it's recommended by Aspyr), here they are:
Operating System: 10.7.5
Processor Number: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number of Cores: 2
Memory: 4 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Video Memory: 256 MB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Video Memory: 256 MB

It must be something with your drivers, because my MacBook's specs are almost the same, only I actually have a slower processor. Enjoy having choppy-as-hell late games!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Wow, just had my first experience with city-flipping. It was transoceanic too. Japan is in the middle of a revolutionary wave and flipped Osaka over to me, Brazil. Came with two works of art, which is great for the carnival I got goin on right now!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Even though he's the only other civ who chose Freedom, I'm in the middle of an unprovoked war with Venice so that I can get my culture victory ended sooner. Hopefully once I take his capital and plunder his GWs I can finally get that tooltip to say something under 1,000 turns to a culture victory over him. It's 1944 and my Brazilian unique units are helping things along.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
God, Jesuit Education is so good. I've been playing a wide Portugal game and basically shot from 9th (last) place in the literacy demographic to first place after a handful of turns after researching education. Even if the 160 faith cost were more, I've been making a metric ton of faith anyway for having the +1c/+1f for gold and silver belief pantheon, plus the Religious Texts belief is making Catholicism spread like wildfire. It's going to be an interesting Renaissance/Industrial era.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Yep, you just buy 'em right out. The faith cost for them is insanely cheap too. And when you're making ~70 faith per turn, it's definitely a drop in the bucket to buy universities for 5-6 cities in one or two turns.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

sarmhan posted:

In BNW he seems to like to poo poo out inappropriate cities too.

This put a funny image in my mind's eye of seeing a bunch of yellow cities renamed by the AI to names like "dickbutt" and "fuckyouhumanlol"

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Rabhadh posted:

Whats everyone's opinion of settling cities on top of resources?

I try to avoid it unless something like this happens, which did in my current game:

ooxo
oooo
Coox
oooo
ooxo

Underneath "C" is a hill with a gold lux, the o's are plains, and the x's are plains with wheat on them.

e: There was also some cotton like two tiles to the northwest of the city.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 25, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Tiramisu posted:

So I've played like 250 hours of Civ 5 and I just discovered today that stacking a great general and a helicopter gives the great general the movement of the helicopter. Has this always been the case? I looked in the civilopedia and the wiki and didn't see documentation anywhere.

I also remember doing this once with an upgraded Haakepaalitta.

e: ha, three replies, three different spellings

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
haha wow.

e: VVVV haha whoops

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 27, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Cable posted:

I'm gonna sound like the biggest noob ever, but after ~80 hours in Civ I had to come here to learn that you don't actually have to develop the techs to keep them at the same level (I played too much Rise of Nations back in the day D:), but focus on what's more relevant for your victory. However, is there any limit to this, or is it totally legit to abandon some branches to rush something?

I often finish culture games without researching dynamite. You can even get all the way to Internet without it. I play King difficulty.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

Remember that image of the cleaned-up versions of all the icons I made a week back? Well, I wasn't fully happy with it (Translation: I have selective OCD), so I "fixed" what I saw were some mistakes and here's a new version:

You must hate the Zulu icon.

Seriously love this, though. Thanks for the update.

E: Is there any way you could satisfy my little OCD complex and rotate the icons for the prime iPhone portrait look?

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 30, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
It also has +1 movement.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
The feitoria is okay, but only under certain circumstances. There's maybe two eras between where you are exploring the whole world and discovering all the CSs and where you don't quite have enough money to buy out every single CS, and in that time you hafta cart your worker all the way over to wherever those CSs are located. Then when you are swimming in enough money, maybe in early industrial, the feitoria becomes a wash.

e: It would definitely be much more useful if it were available from an earlier era.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 30, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

A Tartan Tory posted:

I can confirm it does.

:fry:

I know what civ I'm playing as next.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Dwarsen posted:

The former one is funnier, though. You get it for having a city with Petra, the Colossus, a harbour and a caravanasary. I had no cities with any of those buildings/wonders, certainly none with all of them, and the Colossus hadn't even been built by anyone on the map. So...uh...yeah...

I got that one (legitimately) during my first Venice game. It was awesome. :D

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
*gasp* You mean someone from the 15th century acted like he lived in the 15th century? :rolleyes: Anyway, derail imminent.

I recently did the juiciest savescum as Spain. I dialed back to an autosave from 15 turns ago to make sure I could settle near Mt. Kailash, which was just a few tiles away from Assur. The impending siege of Cordoba will be grand; looks like Ashurbanipal even got Washington in in the action.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
As someone who never played a civ game before 5, what was so great about 4 and the Beyond the Sword expansion?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Better diplomacy. A more interesting tech tree with more viable ways to progress your nation.

Could you expand on these? As far as diplomacy, I remember reading about a civ 4 diplomacy mod for civ 5 with something about vassal states and being able to ask for help like the AI does in 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Austria's should just be this

• Locked thread