Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
I don't really care much about having to wait a while for my key from GMG but it makes me wonder what the hell is the point in pre-ordering if you don't get the game as soon as it is released. I was under the impression that getting it the moment it was released is THE point of pre-ordering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

isndl posted:

Getting the game at 2/3rds price? :shrug:

I got mine on GMG for $22 so less than half price, but yeah. I guess they might be going with the UK release to send the keys, which is in 3 days I think.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Brannock posted:

Why the gently caress is this game installing DirectX 9? I haven't used DX9 in... years.

Civ 5 has a DX9 mode.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

dreffen posted:

Well GMG is a British company so I dunno, would it still be a person?

It's what, super early there right now? Give it a few hours.

6am. Of course if they have to go to their offices to manually start sending the keys then it is completely understandable. I just thought it might be automatic.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
What's the bet that they don't get keys until the 12th. The page on GMG says the release date is the 12th for some reason.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
I'm not in the US so I guess I'll just shut up and wait then. I paid in USD though, so I wonder if I'll get the US release date.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Still waiting on mine but I'm sure it'll be here soon.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Well I got a response from their support about me not receiving a key:

quote:

Hi,

Because your IP address is Australia, you have received an international key, which won't be released until July 12th

So I requested a refund (I had a couple of days off and really wanted to play it before the 12th) and they said this:

quote:

Hi,

The international release date isn't until the 12th. I am processing your refund, but this is a publisher issue, not a GMG issue (at least not *this* time.) The Australian Steam store version of it won't be playable until the 12th either, simply due to regional restrictions by the publisher.

Eh. So I'll just buy it on Amazon, pay a few extra dollars and use my VPN service to activate it.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Do keys for Civ 5 BNW bought in North America require a American IP address to activate? I know they require a North America IP to play right now, just wanting to know if they are also restricting activations.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

What were you expecting? Them to give the int'l keys out on the US date?

All regions my arse.

I didn't know there were going to be different release dates split up by regions. If I knew that I wouldn't have pre-ordered the version that gets it late.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
I can confirm that an American key will activate on a non-American IP, and that using an American IP will start the game download. Hopefully I will be able to play in 30 mins!

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
The game works! Just used an American key and VPN to activate and start the game, no problems. Playing in offline mode now.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
I just had an odd AI thing occur. 5 civs all at once asked me to mutually accept embassies on the same turn. That has never happened to me before.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
What is wrong with Shaka?! He has been constantly declaring war on me all game and losing pathetically. Between wars we are all great buddies and declaring friendships and making defensive pacts but he just ignores them. Is it possible to be friends with Shaka?

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

TheGame posted:

That's weird since Shaka is one of the most loyal leaders. Every stat varies by 20% each game so it's possible to get him to be less faithful, but he's not usually a Nobunaga or Elizabeth.

He has by far been the most aggressive civ I have played against yet. I can guarantee that within 10 turns of our peace treaty ending he will rush his army to my border again. I have zero negative modifiers in the diplomacy screen. He has to die.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

Shaka is the hardest to make friends with but he has the highest loyalty rating in the game so it really shouldn't be happening this way unless you're super close and you're running light on army.

I have good defences but keep a small army, this has to be the only reason why. Also he has 4 cities within 4 tiles of my border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Verviticus posted:

If you actually get a DoF with shaka you're set. Just being neutral doesn't count as friends.

I got a declaration of friendship with him! 5 turns after, the turn after I made a defensive pact with him, he just declares war again. He is unstoppable! I am ahead in science though, so I am waiting for nukes.

• Locked thread