Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

James The 1st posted:

Well, considering GMG is in Britain, I wouldn't expect keys until businesses open there GMT time (which should probably be in a couple hours).

If that's the case then maybe I'll get to play before it gets dark. :confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Exodor posted:

In and started a game as Shoshone. Their scouts have a special ability that allows you to choose what you receive when you uncover ancient ruins.

The scouts upgrade directly to Composite Bowmen. :stare:

Whoa whoa what the gently caress? Patch numero uno, right here.

e: Actually if they put back in the penalty versus cities for ranged units then it'd be okay, and they should do that to nerf CB spam in general.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Bashez posted:

I don't think they really nerfed Petra. I thought it just lost the gold which still makes it ridiculous. That's also not a very good petra place, too many floodplains.

This was known. The Pathfinder is incredible.

It was known that they would upgrade directly to CB instead of archers like normal scouts?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
GMG's site gives a release date of the 12th, so mystery solved, I guess. Time to play the "pirating software I paid for" game.

e: Okay no I'm not, that's too much effort. But I should.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

dreffen posted:

Boy I bet that makes it okay to do!

e: RagnarokAngel did it better

Paying the advertised price for something to people licensed to distribute it does make it okay to possess, yes. It is too much effort compared to waiting an extra three days, though.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Skyl3lazer posted:

Say we don't get our keys in the US till the 12th. Is that 7 bucks worth not getting to play it for 3 days after release?

It probably is, if that's what it was advertised as, but when I ordered it it had the big "July 9th" banner over it that some people are posting screenshots of now. Now, the game's page on the GMG store says 12th. That isn't cool. It's not a big deal to me, certainly not enough to cancel the charge, or swear off buying from GMG again, or even enough to complain to them, but it isn't okay.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Odobenidae posted:

Nope, tithe was 1 gold/4 followers.

It was originally 2 but it got nerfed a long time ago, not a new change to BNW.

Platystemon posted:

I’m still seeing the big 9th July banner.

That's what I saw, too, when I ordered it. Now it's gone and there's just this.

Not worth throwing a riot. Also not something I am going to fondly remember in the future.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 9, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

dreffen posted:

http://i.imgur.com/3AwBnX5.jpg

Totally still the same and they totally didn't magically change it on you. (Unless you're not in the US)

Okay, I faked that screenshot.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

RagnarokAngel posted:

Look at my post. You're on the wrong page.

Your link takes me to the same page as before. I have no clue what you're talking about.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

dreffen posted:

Okay and if it says the 12th you may not be in the US and could be in fact somewhere that isn't the US, where the game is coming out on the 12th.

If you're in the US then that's really god drat weird.

Edit: ragnarokangel is faster than me phone posting is as bad as preordering from GMG

I'm not in the US but previously I always saw the "July 9th" banner that everyone else seems to. Now I see this. I don't particularly mind waiting until the 12th, but it isn't right to change something like that on someone after they've already paid.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

brocretin posted:

Also holy poo poo

Jesus christ that is downright pathological.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I sent in a customer support thing per the supposed forum rep's suggestion and first got an email saying "You should have it, are you sure you know how to find it? :downs:" and then "We're sending them out now, just keep checking." If they later try to tell me I have to wait until the twelfth I will pull the old "I'm a dual citizen! I paid in American dollars! I didn't fight for your freedom just for you to treat me like no ferner! :bahgawd:" which in similar situations has always worked.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

RagnarokAngel posted:

You already admitted you're not in the US you shouldn't act like the tech support person is the idiot for your key not being there.

Good thing I didn't do that, then?

Anyway downloading the game now.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Chalks posted:

I'd have thought they'd be used to getting beaten by digital distribution by now. Looking forward to a time when more publishers have the balls to tell them they can either accept new stock 7 days a week or get hosed, sick and tired of arbitrary delays in the UK for the sake of a clunky business model not losing out when they should.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time thinking of a parallel (Although, admittedly, I am not an expert) in some other business where one organization puts arbitrary limits on another so that a third will be marginally less unsuccessful.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Alkydere posted:

My biggest (yet minor) gripe about the trade caravans is that they have no cultural flavor right now in the early game. Everyone just has the same set of camels with minor highlights for civ colors.

You don't see the European civs using carts and horses/oxen. You don't see the Native American tribes using dogs dragging sleds. You don't see the inca leading a train of llamas, so on and so forth.

Do you just never build anything except your unique unit(s)?

fspades posted:

Well, I found a solution! I guess...

The problem seems to be a missing dll called CvGameCore_Expansion2 in assets\dlc\expansion2 folder. If you can download that dll BNW loads up fine. No idea if it's going to create issues in the game though.

edit: I would have uploaded myself but I feel like we are entering :filez: territory here :ohdear:

I have the opposite problem. It's on the third download now (It just downloads and installs, and then downloads again if I restart Steam) and CvGameCore_Expansion2 is the only file that appears.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Beamed posted:

Have you guys tried Verifying Integrity of Local Game Cache?

Yep, nothing. Apparently it's not an uncommon issue, there's people on the steam forums from all regions complaining about it.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

fspades posted:

That's really weird. With the addition of dll it's working perfectly for me now.

Yeah, it just downloads a 1 GB folder with nothing in it but a dll file. I don't understand it.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
The color palette is definitely pretty crowded now. I'm playing as Morocco and one of my neighbours is the Aztecs, and two of my other neighbours are Brazil and Arabia.

e: At least the confusion here doesn't have any unfortunate implications like Ethiopia's does.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't understand the new Teracotta Army at all. Did they just think it was too boring before? Why would it do what it does now? It makes no earthly sense.

I still don't fully understand how BNW works (I'm in the classical era of my first BNW game) but wouldn't something that functions the same way it did before, but then gives you some kind of boost that interacts with archaeologists once you get them better reflect what the Teracotta Army actually is and still be more interesting than just being a super culture building?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Is there a way to increase the amount of food generated by an internal trade route? Does it just scale with the food production in the origin city? Or with eras?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

HMS Beagle posted:

Maybe it inspires other citizens to become soldiers because it's totally awesome? Don't think about it too hard, it's just a neat effect.

"One day I, too, will be buried in the Emperor's tomb for his vanity."

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Captain Fargle posted:

I'm still not having any luck getting Steam to go online while I'm connected to a VPN. Any of you folks with VPN experience know what's up and how to fix it?

You're otherwise getting a good internet connection? I didn't have any trouble except for occasionally getting disconnected from my VPN (Which I think is what caused the downloading issues I described earlier in the thread), which I think was a problem on their side, so I'm not sure what issue you could be having.

If your caravan gets plundered by barbarians in another civ's territory you should have the option to demand they pay for a new one. :mad:

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 10, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Captain Fargle posted:

Everything else seems to work. I can browse the web just fine and IP lookup sites all think I'm Fort Lauderdale Florida when I'm connected to it so I don't know what's happening. Steam tries to go online, fails and runs in offline mode instead. I don't get it. :(

Are you able to connect without the VPN? Because it might just be because the Steam client/server is a worthless piece of poo poo.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Kyrosiris posted:

So is there a list of what techs grant trade routes yet?

Just look at the tech tree in-game?

e: Not sure why you'd need to know if you can't access the game yourself but here it is anyway. Animal husbandry, sailing, engineering, compass, banking, biology, railroad, penicillin. The Colossus and Petra also allow one additional trade route each and immediately produce a cargo ship and caravan, respectively.

Kyrosiris posted:

If I wasn't at work and could do that, I wouldn't have asked. :v:

Okay, I still don't see how it is useful for you to know right now, then, unless you have the entire tech tree memorised by heart and are planning out your entire strategy while at work like a chessmaster with ADD. :v:

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 10, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Underwhelmed posted:

This is my situation more or less, and I have no loving clue what I am doing since I never really got fully acclimated to G&Ks.

I'm not an achievement whore in the sense that I don't go out of my way to get them, but it is sort of fun to have them pop up from time to time. It is really annoying that they get disabled with any mod installed. I just wanted to install some alternate religious icons goddamnit! I don't suppose there is any way around that issue is there? I can't find any means to circumvent it but maybe there is a way?

Steam achievement manager. The only thing is that you have to know that you earned an achievement, then open it up and credit it to your account. It won't help you if you just want them to casually pop up unexpectedly.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
It seems the military adviser has been reworked. Normally he's telling me all about how I have the puniest army on the planet because I haven't upgraded my archers yet, but now he's rightfully telling me that I can trounce any one of my neighbours. I wonder if this will affect the AI as well.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

SickZip posted:

Amazing. In my current King game on BNW, I conquered all 4 cities of America using a 5 Siege Tower Rush. I didn't have a single regular attack unit and still conquered his civilization. Towers can't attack units so I was killing units by taking their cities, evacuating them, luring them into retaking cities, then taking them back, killing the unit they had garrisoned in it. After defeating America without losses, I added on 3 Swordsman and conquered half of the Mongols including their Capital.

Total losses for eliminating a civ and forever crippling another: 1 Tower.

They start with Cover and you can start them at Cover II if you have a barracks. In the case of my anti-America rush, none of his cities could do more than 15 damage to my towers.

That does sound amazing. They replace the catapult? I really love me some ancient civilizations, I think Babylon is probably my favourite overall, but when I saw the siege tower unit I was immediately turned off. My perceptions were coloured by dozens of hours of memories of doing the death march up siege tower stairs in M&B:WB.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Sieges in that game just make me tired.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Ok what the gently caress is up with ideology pressure. I have every culture building, they all have paintings and poo poo, but my people are getting a -46 unhappy penalty because 'freedom' has more civs than 'autocracy' does. Is there any way to make my guys not give a poo poo about the other civ's ideology? Even worse, when I made a branch save to try to see if switching would be fine, I'm down to -120 happiness because the autocracy happy bonuses were the only thing keeping me near 0.

I haven't actually gotten this far in a game yet but I'm pretty sure the solution to this problem is to reduce the number of civilizations using the freedom ideology.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 11, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Still no option to decline to speak with another civ. That is the most annoying bullshit in the world and probably would have been the easiest goddamn thing to fix.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo. Mount Kilimanjaro gives a unique promotion that grants units double hill movement and +10% strength in hills.

e: And it just happens to be in the corner of a v-shaped mountain range that is full of desert hills and between me and the Songhai. Good luck attacking this poo poo once I put a city next to it, send a food caravan there, and fill the surrounding tiles with double hill movement horsemen motherfucker. :unsmigghh:

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 11, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

holocaust bloopers posted:

Civ 5 is working now. Dumb question: the first game I started had religion off. Where do I go to enable it?

I didn't even realise that was possible.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Is my understanding of the East India Company correct? Does it only provide benefits if other civilizations create trade routes to the city it's built in? My capital is very centrally located, right in the middle of four other capitals, surrounded by flood plains, gold, and a few plantations, plus I'm Morocco and I've built Petra on top of all of that, so naturally they should all be knocking on my door there, right? No, the only, solitary external trade route anyone's set up is from Mecca to a tiny 2 population city on the opposite side of my empire from him with no buildings and no improvements. So I'm a little cynical about the AI's ability to conduct trade and, thus, the usefulness of an East India Company.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gateway to Africa, bitches. :dealwithit:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That's supposed to be how it works, yeah. It could be that your capital is just an unappealing trade target. I'd be surprised if the AI did anything other than pick the highest value trade target available, so maybe there's another city within their range that is giving them more money.

Well, uh, like I said, Arabia decided to set up a trade route to a tiny city with no improved resources and no buildings instead of my capital.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

isndl posted:

Back up that save and send it to 2K for dissection. There's no way that isn't a bug. :psyduck:

The range on caravans can be limiting depending on the map you're playing, so maybe the tiny city was the only one he could get to.

Nope. Marrakech is almost directly south of Mecca. I have a caravan originating in Marrakech and going to Mecca. His caravan is originating in Mecca and going to Casablanca, which is directly south of Marrakech. He's going farther for less. Or, at least, he was. Carthage just conquered his rear end so maybe Dido will be more sensible. Even Attila just started trading with Marrakech. Assyria, to the east, has also started trading with Casablanca, but it is, in fact, the only city in range of them (I have a caravan going the same route myself) and the city's a bit more developed now.

Anyway they seem to be getting their act together. That was a really stupid decision of Arabia and I can't make any kind of sense out of it.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Did they set up the route before you got your EIC built? I forget how long trade routes last for, but they have to actually expire before you can change them. It could also be that the AI doesn't only look at gold like I assumed and he was trying to do something strange like spread religion.

I still haven't built an EIC. Trying to spread his religion is the only thing I can think of since the city was literally generating like 1 gold at the time he set up the trade route and my capital is my religion's holy city.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Just traded 3/4 of my GPT to Attila to declare war on Isabella (They each are the only neighbours who have larger armies than me), watched their armies crash against each other (Their capital cities share borders, so the fight got really thick really fast), then declared war on Attila, breaking the GPT deal and swooped in to take his capital while Spanish trebuchets unwittingly covered my advance. :c00lbert:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Tiny Chalupa posted:

sniping monuments from me

Fwuh?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

fspades posted:

I'm really starting to think that Rev3Games reviewer was right and this game urgently needs some balancing.

Well Assyria gets a unique unit in the classical era that attacks enemy cities with a combat power of 24, plus they give each other a 50% bonus if nearby. So, yeah.

I'm not sure if this was a bug that already existed or was just introduced, but if a city-state starts a culture competition on the same turn that you adopt a new policy, the game will accidentally count your entire sum total of culture for the quest.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
This is loving weird. Montezuma has not gone to war with anyone except when four civs dogpiled on Arabia early on, he has a huge tech lead (He had printing press in the first millennium AD), is the founder of the World Congress, and is the only other civilization besides myself who has not been denounced by anyone.

Also kind of weird that only diplomats provide influence to ideologically opposed civilizations and not spies, since historically that is one of spies' main functions.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 12, 2013

• Locked thread