Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Would there be a difference in how the AI acts in an all AI game between difficulties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
CBP on Prince difficulty was a bad idea when I can barely do emperor

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I assume I should disable the base CBP mods before installing this one?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's possible. Alternatively, the tutorial might not have a proper victory screen. Fwiw, I never played the tutorial and just learned it on the fly on an easier difficulty alongside the advisor prompts. I may have missed some strategy stuff from it, but at that point, I can just read up on it

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Cities having an internal Happiness rating affect its own production and a Empire Happiness Rating that affects every city in the empire would probably be a better implementation.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770533&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Just in case people like watching other people play Civ V, here's LP by post of a person playing Portugal (no mods)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The way I usually win Culture Victories is by dominating in culture with every other civ except one and then just pushing the last one's poo poo in.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
AI still not all that great at Prince with CBP. Did a four player Map as China against Rome, Byzanitum and the Inca, taking their capitals in that order. Rome was balls deep in their territory, Constantinople was in a morass of Rivers and Jungles and Cuzco had the Great Wall behind a strip of desert. Otoh, Rome was behind in tech due to going so wide, Byzantium was behind in just about everything else and the Inca had their Capital about 8 spaces away from my third city. It probably also helped that city number two was right next to Lake Victoria and number three was nestled in some mountains and hills with two Iron spots and King Solomon's Mines at three spaces away.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Harmonia posted:

"More then one way to declare a war" - Ed Beach
No idea what this means.

It could mean a lot of things. It could mean forcing uprisings to occur in enemy cities that will turn the city over to a Civ supporting the uprising. It could mean declaring Crusades against Civs that pit religions against each other. It's pretty unclear.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
From what I can assume are the jungle tiles, they have the same color as the forests (even moreso than in V) just that their foliage and density is different. The mountains are a little strange looking, but that's probably due to how they've not really blended the colors for the peak and the base and inconsistently done it across a range so it looks almost like someone took the base brown mountains and dripped white paint onto them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GoGoGadget posted:

Is there a mod that allows you to have more than one economic/religious unit per tile?

CBP does.

Speaking of currently playing as Arabia and their new UA makes thems pump out Great People like mad. It's kinda hilarious with the Freedom policy that gives +10 Influence with City States each time a GP is born.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

Playing as Bismarck I decided that the best way to deal with civs sending missionaries and great prophets into my country after I told them not to is to declare war each time it happens.

I did this with the Polynesians and without firing a shot they handed over one of their cities to me. Twice. With the Greeks and Byzantines it got me pretty sweet peace deals, once again without any actual combat.

But seriously I should be able to expel or imprison religious units, at least if I have a particular ideology.

Depending on the size of your standing army, I believe, it basically sets the initial warscore so it's possible to win a war through the sheer threat of the force your your army.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
4chan has the 4chan Cup using Pro Evolution Soccer with people essentially setting up tactics and such and then playing AI teams against each other

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

I think they mean that on the surface, religions are just faceplates on top of bonus traits. There's that magistrates mod and every religion has a few magistrate options unique to it that make them more than just "Eastern Orthodoxy symbol called Smoke Weed with Tithe and Pagodas." Shinto, for example, has an option that (iirc) powers up Universities and lets you buy them with Faith without the Piety policy, and a repeatable option that gives you a huge lump sum of gold.

The problem with making religions not faceplates is that each Civ is predisposed to a particular "faceplate," but picks Beliefs based on situation. A lot of Civs have a preference for Protestant Christianity and Catholicism iirc while absolutely no Civ prioritizes Judaism.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I haven't touched this game in over a year, what's the mod scene like? I'm not looking for any total conversions or super massive overhauls. What's the best balance patch/mod? Are there any that make major changes to religion? wilderthanmild and Gabriel Pope's posts reminded me of everything I hate about the religion system. I'm interested in getting a couple campaigns in before Civ 6 hits but I don't want to play with an untouched religious system.

It also sort of makes me feel really ambivalent on Civ 5 as a whole. Civ 4 is a game I can call unambiguously great. But the religion system in 5 is so insanely bad that I feel like God's and Kings actually made the game actively worse, which is not exactly the direction you want an expansion to go in. BNW was pretty great, but man, thinking back on it G&K was just kind of a turd, huh? I'm actually pretty afraid for Civ 6 at this point.

Community Balance Patch and No Quit Multiplayer are probably the two biggest overhaul mods that fix up the mechanics. I'm more experienced with the former and unfortunately, Missionary spam is still a thing and it's still annoying, but at least the upgrades it gives are better than what Civ V normally offers.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The things it adds are basically gaps that existed in the base like the lack of early ranged naval units or any sort of ranged mounted unit after the chariot archer

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Yes, it's because of the Social policies.

Take a look at the Enhanced User Interface (EUI) and see if that's up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Vox Pop Maya are ridiculous. Their ability hasn't changed, but it seems like they're using it in a way that players are more likely to use them, that is to catapult themselves several techs ahead of everyone in addition to spamming the crap out of cities and religion

• Locked thread