Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Well, considering GMG is in Britain, I wouldn't expect keys until businesses open there GMT time (which should probably be in a couple hours).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Beamed posted:

:allears: The PC Gamer rage on the GMG forums is delightful
Same thing on CFC.:haw:

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Andre Banzai posted:

I have restarted Steam 10 times now, have even restarted my computer. Doesn't work.

I did download it behing a VPN, though, since I'm not in America. I didn't have an issue with XCOM, maybe now Steam got smart?

The game loads, there's the Brave New World intro, but Gods and Kings loads instead. I try to tick the Brave New World DLC but the game ignores me. Help?
Delete everything in the Cache folder in the documents folder.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

khy posted:

Do rivers no longer give 1 gold per tile they're adjacent to?
Does connecting your cities to the capital still give gold?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Magicaljesus posted:

I don't know about this. Portugal prophet bombed my holy city, so I asked her to stop. She agreed. The very next turn she converted my second city. We had a DOF and were on friendly terms. I think AI generally respects requests, which is certainly a change, but it's not black and white. I have yet to figure it out.
I think Maria is just meant to be completely schizo. I bought some land next to her territory, and she asked me to stop and I said buzz off. Some turns later, she came telling me how I lied about not buying land.:v:

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Nope. The mod tools aren't really powerful enough to make such an effort easy enough or worthwhile. Is it even possible to alter core mechanics or create entirely new ones?
Actually, the game is just as moddable as Civ 4 now. The problem is Firaxis never released access to the core game code until recently.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Got to love Alexander. He decides to have the whole world embargo me (America's ability is awful), while seeming to forget that I have just beelined the Manhattan project just in case. Now his cities with 1000s of wonders and works of art are mine and full of radiation.

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 15, 2013

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
I'm really liking the Small Continents map script. It makes a nice mix of big land and plenty of water for seafaring fun, unlike the extreme land focus of continents/pangaea and water focus of archipelago.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Piety is pretty ridiculous for early Tourism. What you do is get an early jump on religion two beliefs to build the religious buildings, then pick the Reformation belief that gives you 2 tourism for each building purchased with faith. Then sit back and laugh while you are getting 30 tourism a turn in the Medieval age that no one can touch.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Gabriel Pope posted:

I don't think any civs suck outright. America is easily one of the weakest, though. Russia and the Ottomans are pretty shabby although they have their uses. France was nerfed pretty massively and may be hurting now, still remains to be seen how hard they were really hit.
France is amazing for culture

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
What does it mean when your tourism is dominating over a Civ?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
I believe it was posted at CFC that Firaxis hinted in the last Polycast that they would be adjusting Japan and America's UAs in the next patch.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Tom Chick sounds like an rear end in a top hat and his review is full of hyperbole. That said he is correct when he says that combat AI is atrocious and that several things introduced by the expansions should have been in the game in the first place.

I'm starting to learn that you should only buy a Civ game after the second expansion is released.
It seems to me Tom Chick is a contrarian. If a he deems a popular game is overrated by the rest of the press, he'll trash it.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Whats a good Paradox strat game to start with?
CKII, or EU4 when it comes out in a couple of weeks.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Patch just downloaded on Steam.

quote:

[CRASH]

Fixed a crash that could occur when users try to replace a farm with another improvement (like a Holy Place, Manufactory, etc.).
Fixed a crash with the World Wrap when moving naval units across it (primarily on Windows 8, the FX draw could cause a crash due to memory constraints).
Fixed a crash when attempting to unlock the Raiders of the Lost Ark achievement. This affected only human Washington players who were completing an Archaeological Dig in neutral territory.
Fixed a crash that could occur during the AI turn if a city that had connected trade routes was razed.
Fixed some additional random crashes found via Steam Reporting.

[AI]

The number of Archaeologists built by the AI is now more reasonable.
Correct error in flavor changes for ranged unit construction strategies.
Espionage AI: Correct an issue that was causing the AI to assign diplomats improperly when there were no valid targets.
Tactical AI - Pillaging: Update tactical AI to include targeting Citadels and non-resource tiles for pillaging, to prioritize closer targets over farther targets, and to prefer to use damaged units (so they get the healing benefit).

[BALANCE]

Allow Wats to be purchased with Faith by Siam (instead of Universities).

[UI]

When pressing escape, the tech tree now uses the same close logic as hitting F6 or the close button. This was previously causing the pop-up system to fail in-game. After the error occurred, no more pop-ups would be shown until it is cleared by reloading, or by hitting "F6" multiple times. This would be most noticeable when capturing an enemy city and the player would not be able to choose to annex, puppet, or raze, as it would just annex it automatically.
Audio sliders now move in increments in 1 (was 10) and display as a percentage. Fixed how the Slider control moves based on keyboard and scrollwheel input so that it correctly uses the WheelSteps property.
The Declare War UI now displays whether the players have created a declaration of friendship or denounced each other. There's also now a turn counter specifying how long the Declaration of Friendship or Denouncement has left.

[GAMEPLAY]

Fixed a bug causing all "Victory" achievements to stop functioning for the base game and Gods and Kings.
Fix the "Dr Livingstone" achievement.
Fix the "Pickett's Recharge" achievement.
Fix a bug that was causing Barbarians to not properly target civilian units.
Fix "Greed is Good" achievement. No longer unlocks when the AI fulfills the requirements.
Fix the Venetian Great Galleass so that it can no longer both Melee and Range attack.
Fix cases where Cite-State units weren't being marked properly as dangerous or friendly. These could cause workers to wake up (or ignore danger) incorrectly.

[MODDING]

DLL connecters now link properly. Custom built DLL mods would previously not load properly (since last update).
Fix "flibby" antiquity sites bug that can occur when using a World Builder map that has pre-defined antiquity sites.

[EXPLOIT]

Venice can no longer annex cities through the Strategic View.
Venice can no longer annex cities that were previously their puppet, captured by another player, then recaptured as Venice.

[MULTIPLAYER]

Fix an issue that can occur when you start an MP game with AI players, and that AI meets a City-State, and if a human then joins the game and takes over that AI slot, the game prevents the human from moving into the City-State territory without declaring war.
Allow the game to read-in custom maps from any maps directory, not just the main game maps directory.
Unlocked the rest of the map-scripts for multiplayer play (there were some that were previously not hooked in from earlier releases) �- ContinentsPlus, Donut, PangaeaPlus, Sandstorm, Highlands, Lakes, Terra.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
I've been playing some of the new Colonization with the TAC mod and it's pretty good so far. It's basically Civ 4, but instead has a more detailed resource and population systems. For example, each time your population grows, you get a unit that you can assign to work for resources, or turn it into a military unit. Or you can move the new citizen to another city you want to grow.

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 8, 2014

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Gort posted:

If this is what puts you off Civ 5, please try the Community Patch. It fixes that problem by completely revamping the policy trees and happiness system.

Instead of being 1 unhappiness per citizen and 3 unhappiness per city (which means the ideal is to have as many citizens in as few cities as possible) and one of the policy trees having much more happiness than the others, unhappiness is instead generated based on the yields of your cities. A city without much science production will be unhappy due to illiteracy. A city without much gold production will be unhappy due to poverty. A city without much culture production will be unhappy due to boredom, and so on.

The result is that happiness is still a limit on your empire's population growth and number-of-cities expansion, but throughout the game you can raise that limit by building improvements on your land and buildings in your cities. The effect is that expansion is a constant thing throughout the game (like in Civ 4) whereas in vanilla Civ 5 it's very much a "rush to four cities, now happiness leaves you stuck at four cities until Ideologies show up and even then you might not bother building any more cities since they'll be so underdeveloped they're worthless" thing.

Oh, and they fixed the "new cities are underdeveloped in the late game" problem by making upgraded versions of settlers available throughout the game so cities you found in 1950 have a fair bit of population and buildings right from the start.

-----

Sometimes I wonder if I gush too much about the CPP but it really is just that good.
Nice, I'll try it out. It looks really good from the change log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So after playing Paradox games for a while something has gotten me back into Civ games - I've mostly been playing Civ V but I kind of want to go back to IV just because I haven't played it in so long, and I like some of the extra complexity in the systems. What are some good mods for 4 that add/adjust the basic game as opposed to being full conversions like Fall From Heaven? The style of game I kind of want to play is one with a huge world and a ton of active civs where everyone is fighting over every scrap of land available, so anything that gives that kind of experience is ideal. One of the things about Civ V that bugs me is that I never really feel like I NEED to expand beyond a few cities; even with a ton of free land available (like being on the terra map style and being the first to reach the "new world"), I find that I don't actually want any of it since what little I might gain from it (maybe a new luxury, some strategic resources I probably won't use) don't really offset the hit to my empire's happiness and just the cost of getting the thing set up in the first place.
K-mod is pretty good. Just has some minor balance tweaks, and the better AI mod.

I played Civ a lot before finding Paradox's games, and the way their games manage armies is way better. Every time I come back to a Civ game once and a while, I always get annoyed at how messy it is to deal with all the individual units. I like how Endless Legend does it, you still have units, but you place them in an army that moves as one unit.

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 26, 2016

• Locked thread