Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Serious question here, is there any chance or rumors or hints that there may be another civ V expansion made? Or can we consider this game to have reached its zenith?

Has there been any word on civ 6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

Drunk in Space posted:

It's usually about 5 years between civ releases (1991, 1996, 2001, 2005, 2010), so we're certainly due, unless BE is taking the spot this time.

Have there been any rumors or reasons to believe another civ 5 expansion might be in the works? Didn't civ4 have one more expansion than civ5 has now?

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler
Is beyond earth worth playing yet? If no, is it likely that an expansion will improve it to be worth playing or is it fundamentally bad?

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler
Great reply, thanks for the info

I'll wait for a sale :)

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

Platystemon posted:

Missiles are still in. The idea is that bombs and carriers come too early and cannot be defended against. If someone has to get to Advanced Ballistics and possibly either Telecommunications or Robotics (if they don’t have a city close enough to their target(s)), it gives other civs a fighting chance.

Not to read too much into this because it's a board game, not a historical game but this kinda parallels the nuclear age and the Cold War was premised on our destructive abilities surpassing our defensive ones.

The parallel falls apart, though, because the Civ V AIs don't respect the principals of mutually assured destruction :(

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler
I posted this question a few months ago and the consensus was to wait until after the expansion. With the release of the newest expansion, is Beyond Earth nearly the level of complexity and enjoyment of Civ 5 or is it still a long way away?

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler
Does anyone know anything about troubleshooting the community balance patch? I used the installer program they have on their webpage and the game seems to load fine with the mods but I can't settle my first city. I feel like it's a problem with the enhanced interface.

I tried the balance patch a few years ago and ran into the same problem but I fixed it somehow and can't remember what I did. Google isn't helping me because I can't describe the problem well and it's not listed in the FAQs

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

Corvinus posted:

Did you delete the contents of /User/.../Civ5/cache, and every old version from the Mods folder before installing/running the new one?

I thought I had but it seems I had not. I think I just deleted the contents of the Mods folder, I didn't realise cache was related

Thanks, that fixed the problem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler
Are there any giant earth maps that are <just> a map and aren't a scenario or don't allocate resources/starting locations based on historical tradition? I'm trying to use the community balance patch with a giant earth map but the common ones (e.g., play the world. yet not another earth maps pack) draw the map without the additional resources included with CBP.

• Locked thread