Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I'm already loving this anime :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Wahad posted:

Can I get a gif of the people bursting eating pizza and laughing scene? Truly the best scene :allears:

Here you go!

Bonus gifs while I'm at it:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

For anyone who likes the anime and wants to check out the manga, a rough episode-to-chapter equivalence chart. Keep in mind that thus far it doesn't follow the manga exactly, but it mixes chapters up a bit.

Episode 1 - chapter 1 and part of chapter 2.
Episode 2 - part of chapter 2, chapter 3, part of chapter 4.
Episode 3 - part of chapter 4, chapters 5 through 7.
Episode 4 - chapters 8 through 10.
Episode 5 - chapters 30 and 31.

It's very likely that chapters 11-29 won't be skipped by the anime, since there is quite a bit of character development in them.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Mikl posted:

Episode 1 - chapter 1 and part of chapter 2.
Episode 2 - part of chapter 2, chapter 3, part of chapter 4.
Episode 3 - part of chapter 4, chapters 5 through 7.
Episode 4 - chapters 8 through 10.
Episode 5 - chapters 30 and 31.

Episode 6 - chapters 11 through 15, though skipping most of chapter 11 (minor spoiler regarding what was skipped, though it may come into play later: sports festival, their school versus the neighbouring industrial school) and cutting some minor things from the other chapters.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Thunk posted:

Episode 7 - chapters 16 through 18.

Episode 8 - chapters 19 through 21, and the first few pages of 22.

Thanks for this, I was a bit busy and haven't had the chance to watch either episode :)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

paragon1 posted:

It was, but the new one is real drat good.

Yeah, I really like the new ED.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I think this episode would have worked better as a two episode mini-arc. As it was, all the things they put in were way too compressed, and they even cut some bits to make it fit in twenty-something minutes.

Just pace the episode better, so you hit the twenty-minute mark just when Hachiken falls off the horse. Then everybody shouts, and the ED starts rolling.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The main sticking point with this episode to me is not whether it was good or bad, but that it was a bad adaptation of the source material. For one, there are at least a couple of jokes we see the beginning or the payoff of, but not the whole joke, and overall it doesn't make a lot of sense.

For instance: why did Sakae (the bicoloured-hair girl in the equestrian club) tearfully hand Hachiken Maron's reins after her run?

In the manga there was another contest before the one shown in the anime, a simple course one had to follow. Hachiken goes first and does an average time; then Sakae does her run, does a way better time, and actually wins the contest. Hachiken wonders what the hell, since they both rode Maron, and Mikage explains that Maron had memorized the course on Hachiken's run, hence he ran it much faster when Sakae was riding him.
Then there is the contest shown in the anime: Sakae messes up the order of the jumps, and when she's done she tearfully hands Maron's reins to Hachiken, saying "I'm sorry, now Maron will remember a wrong course..."

Another example: why did Hachiken tell Minamikujo that he'd give her a carrot later?

The setup for this joke goes way to the beginning of the episode, when Hachiken is nearly decapitated by a kick from Minamikujo's horse; the mark on his tail means that the horse has a habit to kick who stands behind him (not explained in the episode, but explained in the manga).
Later when Hachiken breaks his brother's phone in half, his brother says "You're too naive, Yuugo, if you just break it in half I can still get the data out of the memory card."
Then he accidentally stands behind Minamikujo's horse, and the phone is pulverized by a kick from said horse :allears: so Hachiken asks Minamikujo if it's alright for him to give the horse a carrot, and she says "Of course."
Then later, when Minamikujo's words help Mikage recover from her funk, Hachiken says he'll give Minamikujo a carrot.

Also, one minor detail, but one that stuck me when I saw it, is that they messed up Mikage's face while she watches Hachiken do his run. Compare:

With the bottom left of this page.
Different expressions, and the one in the manga can be given an interpretation besides "he's riding very well", namely that while Mikage clearly had a thing for Hachiken before this, this is the first time she really realizes he can actually be kinda cool when he puts his head to it.

Short version of the above:

quote:

They messed up in adapting from the manga to the anime
:qqsay:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Nope, I'm not. I had absolutely zero complaints when they did the same thing during the first season, because back then they did it well. It's not what they did, it's how they did it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I really like what they did with the ED this episode.

Also, while I still think the horse contest episode was badly paced, they did the right thing by shuffling around storyarcs. In the manga it was festival preparation - horseriding contest - festival preparation, by shifting the contest to first place the festival preparation felt more coherent as a whole.

e: Regarding the next episode (this is probably a spoiler for whoever doesn't read the manga, so read at your own risk), do we already know who's the voice actor for Hachiken's dad?

Mikl fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 8, 2014

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I have no idea who this is, and by googling apparently he hasn't done anything in the anime industry before (except for a bit part in the Space Brothers live-action movie). Let's hope it turns out well.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Does Arakawa has father issues?

Not that I know of. She drew a manga about her life growing up in a farm in Hokkaido, and by reading it you get the feeling that her dad's a nice person who she really gets along great with.

So :iiam:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Dessel posted:

Is it just me, or does Hachiken actually benefit from his current... uh, educational institution better than from your average cram school or whatever? Well, unless he needs to cram for lovely entrance exams, I feel the guy is way ahead of his age and is learning important management, stress tolerance, etc. skills way more than his peers in some "elite school" could. Well, this is from our point of view as we get to view all his exploits, but it might not show on paper and thus be important for his future. Dude needs to start a business once he grows up and use his learned skills to great effect and kick his competition to the curb because he has potential to surpass archaic Japanese business and employment models... Ugh, I guess this is quite a tangent.

I mean him studying where he's studying isn't just beneficial because of "feel-good" stuff or because of building character. He's actually learning stuff relevant for "white collar" work as well.

edit: And his dad is a fool for not recognizing this.

Spoiler for what comes next in the manga!

His father actually cares very much about Hachiken (and his brother), he's only real bad at expressing it. He simply wants to give them a good education and a head start in life, so their lives would be less hard than his.

Later in the manga, after some poo poo happens, Hachiken decides that in the future he wants to be an entrepreneur and create a company of his own using what he learned at Ezono. Since his parents had saved some money to send him to college, he asks his father to give the money to him instead. His father's answer is basically "Show me a well put-together business plan, and then we'll talk about it."

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

This second season of the anime has really bad pacing, compared to the first season and especially compared to the manga. It's still a really good show, but I think they could have done it a lot better.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

I think the pacing is fine actually, and not too different from the first season. It feels a lot harder and faster mostly because the climax is a lot higher.

Bit late in responding, but: besides the pacing issues about the horse contest episode I talked about way back when, there is the fact that they had the ending theme about two-thirds of the way into the episode, right after what feels like a natural stopping point for the episode, and then you have a pretty important part that gets cut right in the middle by the actual end of the episode.

The way I'd done it would have been to pad the first part of the episode (not that hard, you only need about five minutes more and there's plenty of material they cut from the manga that could be used), end the episode at the ending theme after the milk drinking, and push the whole "Mikage Family Discussion" thing into the following episode.

The way they did it makes things feel like they're flowing really awkwardly.

Ninjaedit: this of course refers not to the latest episode (which I haven't watched yet), but to the previous one.

Franz von Dada posted:

Currently, where we last left with manga ____No.____

But pretty much everybody and their mother is pushing them to do so.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Welp, now I'm conflicted. While I still think the previous episode had issues with pacing, fixing them would almost certainly mean ruining this episode's pacing, which was near-perfect.

This season is really hit-and-miss. Some episodes flow really wierdly and awkwardly, only to be followed by really good episodes.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

With it's popularity, I think we can expect more seasons as long as the manga keeps going.

The first season covered chapters 1-31 of the manga (skipping a couple of sidestories), and the second season reached more or less chapter 75 (it's not an exact fit because they haven't been adapting chapter straight, but rather picking and choosing bits to animate out of the whole). Right now we're at chapter 96.

If they plan to keep this pace there's going to be a while to wait until season three. Unless they resort to filler, but I doubt they would do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

By the way, since it was (sadly) skipped over in the anime, I encourage everyone to read the manga chapter dealing with Hachiken's mom arriving at the school, starting here.

It's really worth it :allears:

• Locked thread