Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Nephzinho posted:

Alright, Treasure 4 is nice. A few tries and I keep having the last fruit/pellets in sight of the ship.

Calling it a night, but I think I'll continue to use spicy on my winged dudes to take out the blowfish, send all purples straight to the bulborb, but instead of sending the yellows to help with the bulborb they will either start working on the glass if the bridge is up or at least bring fruit closer to the bridge.

I used the spicy on a group (mostly winged) after killing the Blowhog or Bulborb (I can't remember off the top of my head but I had already gotten the piles on the opposite side, and those two piles were the last thing I did) so they could get the piles of gold. Use as many winged as you can, they carry the pieces much faster and I think they can carry them over the wall, so you're more likely to be able to use spicy sprayed winged Pikmin on the second pile too. And don't forget to use the swarm attack on the Bulborb with a huge group of Pikmin, I had 60 and it died instantly.

E: Like I said before in here, I beat that mission with 49 seconds to spare when I finally did it, and the multitasking going on was insane to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Any tips on how to beat those spiders in the webs?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Toss some bait into the web them slam the spider with rock Pikmin when it comes over.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Take about 10 yellows. When it starts moving, stop throwing. Might have to whistle them off at some point, as long as there are no Pikmin on the web it'll stop moving so you can throw the yellows back on it.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Rock Pikmin kill them lickedy-split.
And if the spider is too high for you to hit with Rocks, throw a Pikmin into a lower part of the web to lure the spider down. Don't worry, a steady stream of Rock Pikmin will take out the spider before it can eat anyone. :)

In other news, I found the Pellet Posy File! It's in The Distant Tundra. Right beside the landing area to the right of the bridge are three Pellet Posies on a cliff. If you kill the right most one it will spit out the data file. That's a mean hiding place Nintendo.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

In other news, I found the Pellet Posy File! It's in The Distant Tundra. Right beside the landing area to the right of the bridge are three Pellet Posies on a cliff. If you kill the right most one it will spit out the data file. That's a mean hiding place Nintendo.

There's like one data file hidden in one of those stupid mushrooms. I was really lucky a stray Pikmin found its way over there, I never would have thought twice about those things.

Does anyone know where the last pile of fragments is for the bridge near the landing site in Tropical Wilds? I went through my whole playthrough without finishing that bridge, but I feel like it would help a lot on my next playthrough.

E: I think it's interesting to see different peoples approaches to given situations, like fighting enemies. I never tried hitting a spider with a Rock Pikmin for example, because at that point I already had yellows, they reached high enough and killed fast enough for my tastes, so I never thought twice about my method.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.

dijon du jour posted:

In other news, I found the Pellet Posy File!

THANK YOU! I was going through each level destroying everything and I was going there next...

I just noticed that if you toss a Pikmin higher up than you it turns around and waves back at you. This game is too drat cute :3:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Everyone do themselves a favor and use the camera function to get a more close-up view of the game world right now.

I mean look at the textures on this Candypop Bud. LOOK AT THEM. That is gorgeous and almost completely going to waste because you mostly see things from a bird's-eye view. :(

Zetsubou
Feb 22, 2011
So is there any reason to do the mission mode stuff besides from that they exist? I'm not a big fan of time attack stuff but i'd probably do them if there were prizes involved.

Here are my thoughts on pikmin 3 from a guy who has beaten it 100% fruits and files. I thought it was fun for what it was and that it was also cool that they added new characters and not to mention the game being absolutely gorgous, but at the same time I thought the game was way too short and also incredibly easy. I don't think I ever came close to running out of fruit juice, letting my character die, or losing all my pikmin once. I also thought that collecting fruits instead of just random junk was a little less exciting of a thing to do. I also miss being able to throw pikpik carrots at the pikmin 2 enemies in the beastiary. those are my two-cents about the game and is understandable if you don't agree with me because I can be a big dumb sometimes.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
I really like the fruit. I might like treasure more, but fruit doesn't play quite as large a role in 3 as treasure did in 2, considering the more blatant narrative stuff in 3 about finding the drive key. Something I can definitely say I really like about the Pikmin series in general, now that 3 is out, is how it handles its sequels. Every game has felt both like a step forward and a step sideways. The gameplay in 3 is probably mechanically better than it was in 2 and 1, but every game has it's own thing going on that makes it worth playing and I think they all hold up against each other pretty well.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bam!

quote:

Hello! Shigeru Miyamoto of Nintendo here. As promised, I'm here to tell you how to make use of the special code you've obtained if you've managed to find all ten of the secret data files.
During their latest treasure-hunting adventure, Captain Olimar and his Hocotatian crew recorded a series of secret Expedition Logs, and entering the special code allows you to access them! The secret data files are hidden in various locations.
If you haven't yet found them all, don't give up. Keep on searching!
♦ To view the Expedition Logs, select the blue internet browser symbol below, and enter the special code when prompted. Please note that the Expedition Logs can only be viewed using the Wii U console's internet browser.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/pikpiksecret/

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
Man, the secret file video was kinda neat.

But what bothers me is that my web page was titled "[a bunch of japanese characters] 3", which makes me wonder if the video varies by console as well.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Accursed Walrus posted:

Man, the secret file video was kinda neat.

But what bothers me is that my web page was titled "[a bunch of japanese characters] 3", which makes me wonder if the video varies by console as well.

Maybe we should all share what video we got? Mine was Olimar at the river. He talked about a bug in his file software that caused him to drop files everywhere. It also showed what suspiciously looked like gameplay footage of playing as Louie.

VVVVVVVVVV
I dunno. That's what we're trying to find out.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 8, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

dijon du jour posted:

Maybe we should all share what video we got? Mine was Olimar at the river. He talked about a bug in his file software that caused him to drop files everywhere. It also showed what suspiciously looked like gameplay footage of playing as Louie.

This is exactly what I got. Are there multiple ones?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I just got in this game and I'm feeling a bit disappointed, which is shocking since I'd been looking forward to this for years. I can't get over the controls, which feel aggressively terrible. Aiming feels really weird due to movement and cursor control beind tied to the same stick. I don't like this lock on feature and want to just move freely, but it feels like you have to use it. Furthermore, the lack of a C stick is killing me. Pikmin feel terribly slow and sluggish. I fought the first boss and lost like half my army because despite knowing exactly how to beat it, I had no way to get my Pikmin to move away from it's charge and they would just get caught on his mouth and die. Am I missing something? I'm using the gamepad, maybe the Wii controller handles better,

Also, as far as I can tell there is only one save file, so my brother can't play the story mode until I clear it. That's just ridiculous.

VVVVV I'll try out the wii mote control scheme then. I'm not sure what dodge thing you're talking about since the game never mentioned it though. The manual made it sound like I needed to find an item or something before I could use it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 8, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Internet Kraken posted:

So I just got in this game and I'm feeling a bit disappointed, which is shocking since I'd been looking forward to this for years. I can't get over the controls, which feel aggressively terrible. Aiming feels really weird due to movement and cursor control beind tied to the same stick. I don't like this lock on feature and want to just move freely, but it feels like you have to use it. Furthermore, the lack of a C stick is killing me. Pikmin feel terribly slow and sluggish. I fought the first boss and lost like half my army because despite knowing exactly how to beat it, I had no way to get my Pikmin to move away from it's charge and they would just get caught on his mouth and die. Am I missing something? I'm using the gamepad, maybe the Wii controller handles better,

Also, as far as I can tell there is only one save file, so my brother can't play the story mode until I clear it. That's just ridiculous.

Why are you not using the Wiimote and nunchuck control scheme? It was implemented precisely for people who didn't like movement and cursor movement being tied to the same stick, which is how it controlled in the Gamecube Pikmin titles, fyi.

Also, the dodging with c-stick has been effectively replaced with a dodge roll move done by pressing left or right on the d-pad if you are using the Wiimote configuration, which you should be using.

e: Also, I just looked it up, and save files are tied to the user, so if your brother wants his own save file all he has to do is create a new user account on the Wii-U and log in using it and when he opens up Pikmin 3, tah dah, a save game all to himself.

Yay, problems solved!

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 8, 2013

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Internet Kraken posted:

The game keeps one save per profile. Your brother can play his own game without messing with yours if he switches to his own profile on the Wii U.

^Yeah that.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

dijon du jour posted:

Unless I'm horribly messing this up, mine is actually different. Olimar is at a river and talks about him stumbling across a key and wondering what it could be for. Then it cuts to the "gameplay footage" with Louie and then Olimar says something about watching out for the crabs. Mine was titled "Olimar's Expedition Log - In the Wilds -" if that helps.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Internet Kraken posted:

VVVVV I'll try out the wii mote control scheme then. I'm not sure what dodge thing you're talking about since the game never mentioned it though. The manual made it sound like I needed to find an item or something before I could use it.
If you hold down R you can aim your cursor manually without moving at the same time. It helps. A lot.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Accursed Walrus posted:

Unless I'm horribly messing this up, mine is actually different. Olimar is at a river and talks about him stumbling across a key and wondering what it could be for. Then it cuts to the "gameplay footage" with Louie and then Olimar says something about watching out for the crabs. Mine was titled "Olimar's Expedition Log - In the Wilds -" if that helps.

Oh yeah, yours is definitely different from mine. So far the only common theme is that "gameplay" footage of Louie.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Looks like there's several videos, GameExplain posted all of them on youtube if you're looking. I'm gonna wait till I get em.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

I got the In The Garden video. Looks like the President of Hocotate Freight put the company back in debt, probable with all of his vacations :3:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There are 5 of the logs, they're all on Youtube now naturally.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Looks like there's several videos, GameExplain posted all of them on youtube if you're looking. I'm gonna wait till I get em.

How do you get more of them? Do you have to play through the game 5 times or something?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Zaphod42 posted:

Isn't GameExplain also the channel that puts up the final boss fight and ending for every major Nintendo game in the last few years? Well if Nintendo hasn't asked him to take down stuff like that after all this time I assume they're not going to now.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Does anyone know what to do with this basket and how to reach it? I've tried tossing some yellow Pikmin up there, but they seem to ignore it.

Also, where do you find blue and flying Pikmin? I'm on my 18th day and haven't seen a single sign of them.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Behonkiss posted:

Does anyone know what to do with this basket and how to reach it? I've tried tossing some yellow Pikmin up there, but they seem to ignore it.

Also, where do you find blue and flying Pikmin? I'm on my 18th day and haven't seen a single sign of them.

:ssh: That's not a basket, that's a pressure plate.

Also, you'll get Pinks and Blues when you get them. They're impossible to miss.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
You more or less get one new type of Pikmin per area.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Finally beat it!

30 days :3:

Gonna go back and get all the fruit later, I figured it'd be a sorta Pikmin 2 thing where it brings you back after the credits but I guess that's what replaying a previous day is for!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dijon du jour posted:

Why are you not using the Wiimote and nunchuck control scheme? It was implemented precisely for people who didn't like movement and cursor movement being tied to the same stick, which is how it controlled in the Gamecube Pikmin titles, fyi.

Also, the dodging with c-stick has been effectively replaced with a dodge roll move done by pressing left or right on the d-pad if you are using the Wiimote configuration, which you should be using.

e: Also, I just looked it up, and save files are tied to the user, so if your brother wants his own save file all he has to do is create a new user account on the Wii-U and log in using it and when he opens up Pikmin 3, tah dah, a save game all to himself.

Yay, problems solved!

Okay I did everything you said and am now having fun with this game. Lots of fun. I'm surprised by how hard the game is though. I'm on day 20 and lost over 150 pikmin, which is way more than I lost total in my no purples Pikmin 2 run. Some of the bosses are really hard. Don't get why they didn't give you the dodge whistle before the first boss though, but now that I have it the lack of a C stick doesn't bother me as much.

I miss white pikmin but the cuteness of flying pikmin is making up for that :3:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I just got this game and played through the first couple of days. I'm enjoying it, but I have one question: do you eventually unlock the directional march thing from the New Play Control Pikmin?

In the New Play Control games (well, the first one at least), you pressed down on the d-pad (I think), and you would play a little marching tune on your whistle and the Pikmin would march to where you're pointing. It was useful to get a large group of Pikmin to attack a wall or something instead of tossing them one at a time.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's completely absent, which is strange because every other direction on the D-Pad gets used except down. :psyduck: But then again, Nintendo.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I just got this game and played through the first couple of days. I'm enjoying it, but I have one question: do you eventually unlock the directional march thing from the New Play Control Pikmin?

In the New Play Control games (well, the first one at least), you pressed down on the d-pad (I think), and you would play a little marching tune on your whistle and the Pikmin would march to where you're pointing. It was useful to get a large group of Pikmin to attack a wall or something instead of tossing them one at a time.

I haven't found anything like the directional march (it was the function of the C-Stick on the GCN versions) but if you haven't been using the charge feature you definitely want to be doing that. Lock onto something (Z on Wii Remote, ZL on Gamepad) and shake the nunchuck (or press B on the Gamepad controls), you have to be kinda close for it to work but the Pikmin will all swarm whatever you locked on to.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

MissileWaster posted:

I haven't found anything like the directional march (it was the function of the C-Stick on the GCN versions) but if you haven't been using the charge feature you definitely want to be doing that. Lock onto something (Z on Wii Remote, ZL on Gamepad) and shake the nunchuck (or press B on the Gamepad controls), you have to be kinda close for it to work but the Pikmin will all swarm whatever you locked on to.

Oh, they haven't explained that to me yet. Thanks, it sounds like it'll work for what I'm looking to do.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Honestly lack of directional march/C stick control is my only problem with this game. I'm not sure why they decided to change the control scheme from the first two games when it worked so well.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
I've been blowing through Pikmin 3 and love it so far. I was also upset about the lack of directional march but the charge thing works just as well for most things. I'm on what I assume is the last area and it's really tough but I have like a million jars of juice so it'll be fine.

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
The purpose of these videos (the ones accessible through via secret codes) has me intrigued. Do they exist to fuel hype and speculation for future expansions, or could they possibly be another breadcrumb in the trail towards unlocking something new in the existing game? I'm tempted to travel to each map and take first-person photos from the same position as Olimar is being filmed in each, but I fear I'm looking too deeply into it.

I had a blast playing the game, the story mode was really solid. I wonder how long until the first 10 day/100% fruit run hits youtube...

The mission mode was nice touch, but I felt the platinum medals could have been a bit harder. There is still incentive to go back and beat my times in each, but I would have enjoyed a map where it was simply impossible to collect everything. The idea of going back to get just one more piece of fruit or kill one more monster is more appealing that trying to shave a few seconds off my best time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm so awful at the killing missions. I think I've bronze'd the entire board while on the flipside have gold/platinum on collection. :negative:

Did leave to a rather hilarious instance in Thirsty Desert enemy cleanup though. Had about 15 seconds left and found the bulbear behind a sand wall.

Thing is; I had four bombs. Used one to quickly blow up the door then chucked the three others at the bulbear with the remaining time. He did the "OH BOY PIKMIN!!" animation then blew the gently caress up just in time to set my score to what I needed.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Honestly lack of directional march/C stick control is my only problem with this game. I'm not sure why they decided to change the control scheme from the first two games when it worked so well.

I agree with this.

Oh and that when you start the game it doesn't show the Nintendo logo and chirp "Piiiikmiiiin" at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just got to the 5th boss (I think) and turned around after fighting it for 2 minutes. That thing is terrifying, I'll stick to gathering fruit for now. That is one of the most disgusting monsters I've ever seen in a video game.

I also did some bingo battle with my brother. It's pretty fun but stupidly unfair at times. The rock power up is devastating. If you don't react to the first one and doge right away you get stunned and your pikmin will be crushed. If you happen to be in an area where you can't dodge, like one of those lilypads, you just get to enjoy watching 40 little ghosts float away. Of course, I wasn't really expecting a perfectly fair and balanced game mode so it's fine.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 10, 2013

• Locked thread