Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

busydelicious posted:

Also, who bought the final manga re-release? It made me so irrationally happy to finally buy it. I just know, that once the new series airs, I'm gonna spend so much money on merch. My husband might kill me, but my will is weak and my love of Sailor Moon is so drat strong!

I bought the first 6 volumes as a box set and since I couldn't wait a few months until the second 6 get one I bought the rest of them about a week ago and just finished up reading Vol. 12 yesterday.

Someone earlier posted about how, in the manga the rest of the Sailors don't get much character development at all; they pretty much just show up and shoot a special attack and that's about it. There's bits and pieces of characterization, but I think I filled in large parts of their personalities with ideas I had about them from the anime.

That's ok though, it was totally worth the read; I really liked her artwork and occasionally there will be a page, or even just a panel that's really eye-poppingly beautiful. I especially love when she just has Sailor Moon's already impossibly long hair just continue right off of the page seemingly to infinity.

As a random sample of what I mean, look at this: (sorry it's the old, flipped tokyopop version, couldn't find scans of the new translation)

Hair and ribbons right off of the page, panels over and under and behind each other. There's pages where characters step through and peek around panel borders, and pages where the panels borders are created by weapons or hair.

I guess what I'm saying is Naoko Takeuchi is a pretty skilled comics artist. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busydelicious
Jan 5, 2009

they call it chivalry
never pull a punch for free

a kitten posted:

I bought the first 6 volumes as a box set and since I couldn't wait a few months until the second 6 get one I bought the rest of them about a week ago and just finished up reading Vol. 12 yesterday.

Someone earlier posted about how, in the manga the rest of the Sailors don't get much character development at all; they pretty much just show up and shoot a special attack and that's about it. There's bits and pieces of characterization, but I think I filled in large parts of their personalities with ideas I had about them from the anime.

That's ok though, it was totally worth the read; I really liked her artwork and occasionally there will be a page, or even just a panel that's really eye-poppingly beautiful. I especially love when she just has Sailor Moon's already impossibly long hair just continue right off of the page seemingly to infinity.

As a random sample of what I mean, look at this: (sorry it's the old, flipped tokyopop version, couldn't find scans of the new translation)

Hair and ribbons right off of the page, panels over and under and behind each other. There's pages where characters step through and peek around panel borders, and pages where the panels borders are created by weapons or hair.

I guess what I'm saying is Naoko Takeuchi is a pretty skilled comics artist. :shobon:

Well, at least in the recent release, they hint that the senshi will be reborn again and again since their star seeds will never perish. Perhaps all they do is add a layer of complexity every time they are reborn... Naoko is extremely insane in her level of artistry. That much is for sure!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So that event revealed almost nothing if you were hoping to have something to talk about for the new anime (beyond a "Winter on NicoNico" anoucement which I am dubious of given the lack of, well, anything).

Obasu was dodging questions about the thing like a politician on heat.

Compared to the musical which they're putting on a goddamn pedestal, I'm getting the impression the anime is being treated like a redheaded stepchild so please act surprised when come Winter there's nothing.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 4, 2013

aers
Feb 15, 2012

It's entirely normal to know nearly nothing about a Winter season show at this point. I can only think of a handful that are even announced out of the 20+ the season should have.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

aers posted:

It's entirely normal to know nearly nothing about a Winter season show at this point. I can only think of a handful that are even announced out of the 20+ the season should have.
It's entirely normal to host an event stating there'd be information about the anime and the musical and then devote 99.9% of the run time to the musical and not have something, ANYTHING ready for consumption on the anime side?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's entirely normal to host an event stating there'd be information about the anime and the musical and then devote 99.9% of the run time to the musical and not have something, ANYTHING ready for consumption on the anime side?

They stated "latest information" about the anime and musical. Every single listed guest was from the musical - 7 cast members, producer, sound director. It was pretty obviously going to be about the musical from the start. The surprise was the feed from the Momoclo concert, which wasn't a very big surprise because Momoclo had already announced they had a Sailor Moon-related announcement at their concert. The latest information about the anime is the airing season and that Momoclo will be doing the ED too.

We're 5 months away from winter anime season. Relax.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
There will be plenty of time to relax when they're done screwing around.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Characters are not 85% legs and hair: immersion ruined.

Anyway, both ANN and Crunchyroll have short articles about the announcement and its tiny tidbits of information; I'm actually somewhat encouraged because it does at least seem like there really will be a new anime at some point, I've been worried it was going to be shelved indefinitely.

Osano posted:

Finally, when commenting on the direction the new anime will take, Osano stated that it will not be a remake of the first series, suggesting that the new series will take a different direction than just adapting the manga in a straightforward manner, as was done with the previous series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nostalgia Critic did a review of the anime. Highlights include calling Usagi 'stupid and slutty' and going on like only pedophiles cared about the show, and not, y'know, tons of little girls the world over.

I'm not linking it here because do you really want to watch that?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

As nerdy as it is to admit, this show is one of those things that makes me nostalgic. Part of that I think is that it was right around the time the internet was starting to pick up steam and was just a place for bad geocities sites and a billion bad (and a few good) Sailor Moon fansites and you just don't really see that sort of thing anymore. Also there was this kind of mystery around the show since you knew they were changing lots of stuff but you probably had no way of getting access to subs and finding out since everything was second hand info.

arisu posted:

What I liked about Sailor Moon was that unlike most magical girls, Usagi was generally a terrible human being. She only became selfless super lady on occasion, usually towards the end of seasons, but usually she was a selfish, lazy, gluttonous, hyper-competitive brat, especially when it dealt with Rei or Chibi-Usa.

Most other magical girls will have one or two bad qualities, but generally were sunny, friendly people. Usagi was genuinely none of that, and was not the most ideal role model for young kids watching this show.

And that's what made her awesome.

This post is way old but they had Sailor Mercury to be the perfect character.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Radish posted:

That's a funny way of spelling Sailor Jupiter there, chummer.

But that's another reason for the enduring power of this show, I think: the presence of a cohesive team, with distinct character types that a variety of audience members can identify with. In addition to Usagi who serves as the slovenly, imperfect everyman, you have Ami for the shy bookworms, you have Rei for the quick-thinking, hot tempered types, Minako for the action-oriented tomboys, and Mina for... um... feminine virtue? Love? Something like that? I dunno, but you see my point. They functioned as a team as well, with distinct roles that inform and support the whole, as opposed to merely being nominally a group and letting the main character do all the work, something that you don't actually see a lot of shows doing (Avatar and MLP being recent one who do).

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I'm rewatching according the that essentials list posted a page or so back, and man is this getting my nostalgia going.

This show is way funnier and more competent than I remember it being.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

resurgam40 posted:

This girl knows whats up.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Agreed. Salior Jupiter should've gotten the fancy shmancy mega crystal rod...tiara...wings.:c00lbert:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Sailor Mars forever, you all are wrong on the internet :colbert:

I already knew about anime when Sailor Moon came to the US, but it was the first one I could watch on the TV and not have to deal with whatever tapes my brother had lying around. Long story short, I'm about the same as everyone else in the thread with gigantic nostalgia, except that even at 11 I had the taste not to watch DBZ. :v: (also I don't think we got the channel it was on)

I still have pages/posters from a Sailor Moon calendar spread out all over the walls of my old room at my parents house. At least it's not my current room?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Endorph posted:

Nostalgia Critic did a review of the anime. Highlights include calling Usagi 'stupid and slutty' and going on like only pedophiles cared about the show, and not, y'know, tons of little girls the world over.

I'm not linking it here because do you really want to watch that?

The Nostalgia Critic also thinks that Seinfeld being a show about nothing was meant literally, and that it lied to us.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Where does he even get off calling her slutty? She doesn't dress povacatively or flirt with guys constantly. Not that either of those are particularly negative things, I'm just trying to get a frame of reference outside of "shes a girl" which automatically makes her a slut.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Potsticker posted:

Where does he even get off calling her slutty? She doesn't dress povacatively or flirt with guys constantly. Not that either of those are particularly negative things, I'm just trying to get a frame of reference outside of "shes a girl" which automatically makes her a slut.

She's in a relationship, but not with him, the adult male viewer. Clearly.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Potsticker posted:

As far as I recall, being "boy-crazy" was a constant running theme, something typical of 14 year old girls. I guess from the perspective of a middle aged internet male that makes her a cock-teasing whore.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Potsticker posted:

It's just the same tired old mentality of "she expresses that she likes boys so she's a slut". Usagi has a lot of faults you could talk about, so falling back on 'slut' sure is something.

As for the part about pedophiles, Japan must have a massive population of 4-12 year old pedophiles then.

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
SERIOUS ATMOSPHERICS SIMULATION
and birds

aers posted:

As for the part about pedophiles, Japan must have a massive population of 4-12 year old pedophiles then.

Well most 4-12 year olds that date, date underage people, don't they? Pedophiles, the lot of them.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

aers posted:

They indoctrinate them early.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Radish posted:

resurgam40 posted:

I should probably watch some of the show again just to refresh my really fuzzy memories, but 14-year old me agrees with the former definitely, while in retrospect I would probably say the latter. Then again, my username gives me over a decade of bias towards Mercury.

Potsticker posted:

Edgy bad words internet critic catering to a (man)child demographic that likes that to hear that kind of thing, really.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Also, any answer about best Sailor that doesn't end with Saturn is incorrect, sorry to say. :colbert:

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Justin_Brett posted:

Also, any answer about best Sailor that doesn't end with Saturn is incorrect, sorry to say. :colbert:

Sailor Mars is the best, so much better than Saturn. :smug:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Um, I believe the OP says that Sailor Jupiter is the best? :smuggo:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Justin_Brett posted:

The only thing of note Saturn ever did (other than die like an idiot, as was the style of the last couple episodes of the final season) was done offscreen :colbert:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Can we at least agree that the SuperS movie was the best of that lot?

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
No way. Promise of the Rose was the best movie by far.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Famine Poodle posted:

No way. Promise of the Rose was the best movie by far.

The most correct post on the subject.

Specifically it's the fight scene in the street with Fiore that sells it for me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Guys, Sailor Jupiter is obviously the most talented Sailor Scout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMN0oJdEC9Y

Edit: Oh God that clip has Melvin in it. gently caress you, Melvin. You wonderful goon.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

U.T. Raptor posted:

The only thing of note Saturn ever did (other than die like an idiot, as was the style of the last couple episodes of the final season) was done offscreen :colbert:

It's onscreen (on page?) in the manga.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

U.T. Raptor posted:

Man it's been like a million years since I watched Sailor Moon, but wasn't the last couple episodes of every season everyone dying but then Sailor Moon revives them with the power of love or something? It's all kinda blended together in my head at this point.

Also Mercury was the best gently caress the haters.

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.

Waffleman_ posted:

Guys, Sailor Jupiter is obviously the most talented Sailor Scout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMN0oJdEC9Y

Edit: Oh God that clip has Melvin in it. gently caress you, Melvin. You wonderful goon.

Yeah...she has the most "talent"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65rHgAu48Ag

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

That dude and the girl whose name I forget eventually just completely vanish in the manga!

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

Potsticker posted:

I don't recall him calling Serena (it's the dub, so I'm calling her that) slutty, but he does go off for about three minutes about how he thought the transformation sequences were intended to be sexualized and that it is creepy to sexualize a 14 year old girl (even if she looks much older).

He pretty much ends up saying that he thinks its a bad show but won't knock others for enjoying it, which is hypocritical coming from a guy who did a review of the original Transformers cartoon and was bending over backwards to avoid saying it was awful. He was also a teenager when the show originally came out, so he's got no nostalgia for it (ironic, considering he's the Nostalgia Critic). I wouldn't be surprised if one of the other people from that site do their own review of the series in response (there's like, maybe, 2 other halfway likable and reasonably entertaining content creators on the site).

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
When I was a little kid, I used to watch my Sailor Moon dub tapes on repeat. I'd pause on my favorite shots (usually scenes with Haruka), tape tracing paper to the screen, and trace the lines. Definitely have a serious soft spot for SM.

Hexmage-SA posted:

I don't recall him calling Serena (it's the dub, so I'm calling her that) slutty, but he does go off for about three minutes about how he thought the transformation sequences were intended to be sexualized and that it is creepy to sexualize a 14 year old girl (even if she looks much older).

Seems like the problem's with him, not the show.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

a cartoon duck posted:

Man it's been like a million years since I watched Sailor Moon, but wasn't the last couple episodes of every season everyone dying but then Sailor Moon revives them with the power of love or something? It's all kinda blended together in my head at this point.
iirc, it was only the first and last that happened in (and the end of the first season was by far the more awesome of the two :black101:).

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
You know, if there's one thing that makes me hate getting older it's that people will think I'm even creepier for having a soft spot for Sailor Moon. I'm definitely planning to check out the new series, but by the time it comes out I'll be 25 years old. It was bad enough that I was a boy that loved Sailor Moon, but now I look like one of those guys people call creepy for liking kids'/girls' shows and suspect of being a pedophile.

This has probably been brought up before, but I hate how the later seasons of the show have all the character's limbs be extended to absurd lengths.

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Oh man, I was obsessed with Sailor Moon when I was a kid. I first got internet in 1998, and spent the summer afterward pretty much exclusively downloading as much Sailor Moon stuff as I could - grainy 180x120 .mpg videos, .mp3s that took my 56k modem an hour to download, so many pictures I started running out of hard drive space. My mom drat near beat me after I got a hold of a Sailor Moon desktop theme, complete with sounds and cursors, and Solitaire with Sailor Moon pictures on all the cards.

What's the consensus on the dub? I remember being absolutely incensed at the time that they'd cut and changed so much, and I remember a couple different sites that went through every single episode and listed every cut, change or alteration of any sort; nowadays, I think it while it wasn't a great dub, it was probably as good a dub as could be expected for a children's show in 1995, especially when it could've gotten the Robotech treatment or become that hideous Saban thing.

Also, someone said the new manga releases have a better translation. Does the Stars arc make any sense now? I was never sure if I was confused because the translation was bad or if it just makes no sense in general.

• Locked thread