Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

OnimaruXLR posted:

Chihayafuru doesn't have a massive international audience that was raised on a televised dub

yet :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ConanThe3rd posted:

So a thought; if Usagi was 14 at the start of Sailor Moon (1992) then she'd be be 39 right now (Having been born in 1977).

It's weird to think the Scouts were born in the 70s.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That's the funny thing about being born in the arse end of a decade.

That said, Crystal Usagi being born in 2000 is about as apt as you can get.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 2, 2016

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Yellow Box! Comes out 11/15, movies are "sooner rather than later", apparently they're showing the fully dubbed ep 106 at AX but no stream is showing it so no idea if the VQ has improved yet.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
I tried two episodes of this, but the awful animation and CGI were too cringeworthy for me. But now I've just found out (thanks to the SM Another Story LP thread) that they fixed some of that poo poo for the home release and Season 3, so I decided to give the series another shot.
My question is, what is the best translation (fan or official) out there? Apparently the official Crunchyroll subs suck?

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

Pizdec posted:

I tried two episodes of this, but the awful animation and CGI were too cringeworthy for me. But now I've just found out (thanks to the SM Another Story LP thread) that they fixed some of that poo poo for the home release and Season 3, so I decided to give the series another shot.
My question is, what is the best translation (fan or official) out there? Apparently the official Crunchyroll subs suck?

Unless I guessed this incorrectly, it seems like all the online viewing options for S3 (which I think are CR, Hulu and Viz maybe?) are using the same subs and yeah... they're not great. It sort of looks like Toei probably chose to sub the series themselves and it really shows. (In one of the previews, they completely screw up a six-letter name and that doesn't seem like something the previous seasons did)

I only watched the official subs and you can get the jist of the story but it's not great subbing-wise.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I actually preferred the dub of Crystal over the subs. The subtitles, even on season 3, are really THAT bad. I'll gladly rewatch the S3 dub when it comes out because good God was the subtitling bad.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Seiyal posted:

Unless I guessed this incorrectly, it seems like all the online viewing options for S3 (which I think are CR, Hulu and Viz maybe?) are using the same subs and yeah... they're not great. It sort of looks like Toei probably chose to sub the series themselves and it really shows. (In one of the previews, they completely screw up a six-letter name and that doesn't seem like something the previous seasons did)

I only watched the official subs and you can get the jist of the story but it's not great subbing-wise.

Toei provided the subs to CR & Viz, they outsourced them to a Japanese company.

Some of CR's subs have been tl/edit checked but not all and not comprehensively, because they don't really have time to go back and do it all. Viz's probably untouched.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
A Sailor Moon release is pretty much a game of Karmic Ballance; Something has to go disastrously wrong for it to happen. Arse-Subs is SMC S3's prix d'etre.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 12, 2016

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Pizdec posted:

Just watch the 90s series or read the manga. Don't bother with S1 or S2 of Crystal.

(Or skip the second half of Act 10 and any of the parts where the Inners fight all the Shitennou at once because they're really poorly hamfisted in and have no bearing on the rest of Dark Kingdom.)

Hell i'd say stop with the Manga after Dream Arc because Stars Arc is trash.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Hell i'd say stop with the Manga after Dream Arc because Stars Arc is trash.

Hey! It does some pretty interesting/weird things and leads up into a delightful ending! Certainly more interesting than the Black Moon arc, in my opinion!

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

But they both do the same thing with the supporting cast in terms of sidelining them via excruciating means.

And the loving crows have human forms and are senshi for some reason, and Lead Crow is also one of those bird aliens, and Tin Nyanko is a *shudder* mautian just like Luna and Artemis. Stars in the manga adds too many loving characters or suddenly makes characters special senshi aliens in whilst immediately killing them and the actual good characters off as soon as possible. Really the only positives are Kakyuu actually fights for like five seconds and that bitch Galaxia dies instead of getting "redeemed" but its not even a satisfying death.

Whereas I cried forever during the ending of the anime I just kinda felt nothing during the manga because it just kinda flew by.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
hi I've been watching Sailor Moon since like 1995 and I'll tell you Sailor Moon Crystal is a good time if you can just let yourself enjoy it

I'm also old enough to actually remember suffering through actual bad subs, the new subs aren't the best but they're totally fine and burn all loving dubs to the ground

vv like, we have instant subs the day of release the same TIME japan gets the show, I can't even comprehend being a big enough dweeb to piss and moan over a few errors making them "unwatchable"

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 12, 2016

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the fact that there were worse subs around does not mean these aren't bad subs as well, they're actually objectively bad

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The new Sailor Moon dub is actually good.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSVV806O4UY

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

aers posted:

Toei provided the subs to CR & Viz, they outsourced them to a Japanese company.

Some of CR's subs have been tl/edit checked but not all and not comprehensively, because they don't really have time to go back and do it all. Viz's probably untouched.

That's understandable, not knowing how much time they get between getting the subs and airing. I guess at least CR tried to do something with the time they likely had with them.

It's good information though, so thank you for that.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Seiyal posted:

That's understandable, not knowing how much time they get between getting the subs and airing. I guess at least CR tried to do something with the time they likely had with them.

It's good information though, so thank you for that.

They've actually been doing it post-release. The at-simulcast subs aren't corrected afaik.

My info comes from one of the people who was fixing the subs for episode 1, I dunno anything further.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Caitlin posted:

like, we have instant subs the day of release the same TIME japan gets the show, I can't even comprehend being a big enough dweeb to piss and moan over a few errors making them "unwatchable"

:same: because I turn them off

They're really really bad. Unwatchable in 1995 isn't the same as unwatchable in 2015, sorry. There's a ton of quality content out there, why watch something you can barely even understand?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Caitlin posted:

vv like, we have instant subs the day of release the same TIME japan gets the show, I can't even comprehend being a big enough dweeb to piss and moan over a few errors making them "unwatchable"

calling me a pissbaby does not change the fact that these subs are bad, sorry

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Thanks for the input, guys. So is Viz's sub actually worse than then fansubs out there?

Senerio posted:

The new Sailor Moon dub is actually good.
I've checked it out and it really does sound good. I'm not against dubs on principle, but I've experienced the original Sailor Moon in Japanese (w/ voiceover), so my brain refuses to acknowledge anything else. :frogbon:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Pizdec posted:

Thanks for the input, guys. So is Viz's sub actually worse than then fansubs out there?

It's not actually Viz's subs, it's Toei's subs.

Viz did their own subbing for the original 90's series and that's much better.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
I'm in a weird place where I'm now watching Sailor Moon R after first having seen the Black Moon Clan arc in Crystal. I hear everyone slagging on R compared to how good S and the later arcs become on the TV show. On the other hand,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
R is cool. It's Super S that's a chore.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Is Hulu the legal way to watch the new dub on the old series?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Short of buying the Blu-Rays/DVDs, yes.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Bleh, okay. Thanks!

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Did you guys ever pick up on the new reanimated Sailor Moon video?

youtube.com/watch?v=O1kBZTBxE1c

E: gently caress phone posting

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

News Flash, the S Blu-Rays still feature vanishing mouths and other crap from the Hulu Streams.

Unless you're like me and want to double dip for the coins/art cards and booklets (especialy since Madman's Booklet for R removed some of the art) just stick to the Madman releases because Viz obviously lied about working on the video issues as an excuse to poo poo crystal out before S.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also the R movie is getting a limited theatrical release next year, uncut, new dub, the works.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
gently caress the dub, the official account responded to me on twitter saying they have plans to release the dub AND sub in theaters :toot:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

RMZXAnarchy posted:

News Flash, the S Blu-Rays still feature vanishing mouths and other crap from the Hulu Streams.

Unless you're like me and want to double dip for the coins/art cards and booklets (especialy since Madman's Booklet for R removed some of the art) just stick to the Madman releases because Viz obviously lied about working on the video issues as an excuse to poo poo crystal out before S.

At this point I'm just collecting them for collecting sake. My wife's been collecting the Crystal Blurays from Japan so we know those are good. I'm looking forward to the subs for the new musical when it comes out.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Revolver Bunker posted:

At this point I'm just collecting them for collecting sake. My wife's been collecting the Crystal Blurays from Japan so we know those are good. I'm looking forward to the subs for the new musical when it comes out.

Same, quite annoyed with how Viz has been sloppy with their releases but at the same time I've still been collecting the sets and other goodies at cons and such when I get a chance simply because it's my favorite anime. They clearly show their love in their marketing... And clearly they put more care into Crystal Dark Kingdom than they have the original series. I'm really hoping Stars comes out before the heat death of the universe but i'm continually less and less optimistic about the end result.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Same, quite annoyed with how Viz has been sloppy with their releases but at the same time I've still been collecting the sets and other goodies at cons and such when I get a chance simply because it's my favorite anime. They clearly show their love in their marketing... And clearly they put more care into Crystal Dark Kingdom than they have the original series. I'm really hoping Stars comes out before the heat death of the universe but i'm continually less and less optimistic about the end result.

I'm really curious how Toei will do Stars. They of course have to get through Super S first but if they're following the manga more so then we'll actually get Sailor Stars how the manga portrays them.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Revolver Bunker posted:

I'm really curious how Toei will do Stars. They of course have to get through Super S first but if they're following the manga more so then we'll actually get Sailor Stars how the manga portrays them.

Honestly once Crystal hits Stars its going back to how I felt about the series during Dark Kingdom/Black Moon. The manga version of that arc was just terrible. Took the issues I had with Black Moon and doubled them since there were more characters to dispose of at this point. Plus the whole 'look I took your friends and loved ones and shoved their life source into dummy bodies that I control' poo poo pissed me right off

Especially gonna be rough for a good chunk of the voice cast becoming glorified cameos.

Dream arc should at least be decent hopefully.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Things I do while waiting for paint to dry in a studio:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that's you on twitter! Hello :toot:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Caitlin posted:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that's you on twitter! Hello :toot:

ohai

Yeep, I doodle things like that or Chun Li in between sessions of waiting for gesso to dry on a wood panel and then an underpainting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

R Movie Theatrical run is set for January. Excited to be able to go see it since a nearby theater is showing it! :dance:

Really hoping they don't run out of whatever special gift there is before the showing but otherwise super hyped.

• Locked thread