Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

busydelicious posted:

Also, just out of curiosity, how many of you guys bought the recently re-released manga translation of Sailor Moon? You think purchasing power in the west at all influenced the new series or no?

I bought the 6 volume set and while I have no idea if it influenced anything or not, it completely owns and everyone should pick it up. I've been holding out for another box for the next volumes, but I think I might cave and just buy them individually. Here's what I said about it over in another thread:

a kitten posted:

Finally getting around to reading the new(ish) publishing of Sailor Moon. It's actually even better than I thought it was going to be and moves way faster than I was expecting; I'm only on Volume 3 and they just took out Queen Beryl.

Her art ranges from "pretty good" to "completely incredible" and a lot of the page and panel layouts are amazing. And while her character designs don't have much to do with anything resembling actual anatomy (it's like 70% leg/15% hair/14% eyeball/1% everything else) everything is really expressive and fun just to look at.

Have you all seen the footage of the proposed US remake? It's uh, something else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3scSHk4h2g&t=111s
skip to about 1:50 if you want to skip the intro

I'm not sure if it misses the mark quite as much as the Doozy Bots, but it comes drat close.

Bonus Sailor Moon references from Gunbuster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Naw, that sort of thing is definitely still around.

Sudden shifts into absurd animation jokes are one of the reasons I started getting into anime in the first place, so I'm very glad that it still happens.

I'm definitely looking forward to the new series. The original anime suffers from some pacing issues in a big way, it takes like 11 episodes before Ami even shows up as Sailor Mercury, for someone who is used to the way more modern shows are paced it make it hard to want to keep watching. Don't get me wrong, it's fine for a kids show to have endless episodes of "bad guy does something (probably involving jewelry), eventually Sailor Moon throws a tiara at him and wins", but for a viewer used to cliffhanger after cliffhanger it can sometimes drag.

The manga however just hurls itself along at a breakneck pace, so I hope that the upcoming version sticks a bit more closely to it. Assuming it's a remake at all and not some new thing entirely.

edit: it's still totally worth watching! Just something to keep in mind for new viewers maybe.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 17, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yatsuha posted:

So to get myself through until the show comes out I just decided to turn my town into a Sailor Moon theme in Animal Crossing :unsmith:

Do these work? I ran across them the other day when I was deciding if it would be worth getting a 3DS for one silly game.

The only problem with that Essentials list is that I worry it might skip some episodes that don't really advance the plot, but contain some great scenes.
re:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc-OqqRDSGg
Or the one where the girls find Rei's stash of crossdressing and/or lesbian romance manga. Which, incidentally, youtube has taken down and I can't find a duplicate anywhere:mad:. I don't know for sure if it does skip some of the fun ones, but you might be missing out on some great stuff if you skip too much.

Reference? Coincidence? I don't know, but I like it
Sailor Moon

Madoka Magica

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Having just finished up the manga (which ruled, btw) I wanted to share a statistic I noticed.

Number of Roses Thrown by Tuxedo Mask: 0

Not one! I figured at some point he'd throw one, if only as a nod to the anime version, but nope; exactly zero rose-chucking involved.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

busydelicious posted:

Also, who bought the final manga re-release? It made me so irrationally happy to finally buy it. I just know, that once the new series airs, I'm gonna spend so much money on merch. My husband might kill me, but my will is weak and my love of Sailor Moon is so drat strong!

I bought the first 6 volumes as a box set and since I couldn't wait a few months until the second 6 get one I bought the rest of them about a week ago and just finished up reading Vol. 12 yesterday.

Someone earlier posted about how, in the manga the rest of the Sailors don't get much character development at all; they pretty much just show up and shoot a special attack and that's about it. There's bits and pieces of characterization, but I think I filled in large parts of their personalities with ideas I had about them from the anime.

That's ok though, it was totally worth the read; I really liked her artwork and occasionally there will be a page, or even just a panel that's really eye-poppingly beautiful. I especially love when she just has Sailor Moon's already impossibly long hair just continue right off of the page seemingly to infinity.

As a random sample of what I mean, look at this: (sorry it's the old, flipped tokyopop version, couldn't find scans of the new translation)

Hair and ribbons right off of the page, panels over and under and behind each other. There's pages where characters step through and peek around panel borders, and pages where the panels borders are created by weapons or hair.

I guess what I'm saying is Naoko Takeuchi is a pretty skilled comics artist. :shobon:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Characters are not 85% legs and hair: immersion ruined.

Anyway, both ANN and Crunchyroll have short articles about the announcement and its tiny tidbits of information; I'm actually somewhat encouraged because it does at least seem like there really will be a new anime at some point, I've been worried it was going to be shelved indefinitely.

Osano posted:

Finally, when commenting on the direction the new anime will take, Osano stated that it will not be a remake of the first series, suggesting that the new series will take a different direction than just adapting the manga in a straightforward manner, as was done with the previous series.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Edit: Oh God that clip has Melvin in it. gently caress you, Melvin. You wonderful goon.

That dude and the girl whose name I forget eventually just completely vanish in the manga!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Potsticker posted:

Venus' Love Chain never made much sense. The other girls all had elemental powers, but Venus was just 'Love'? That's not an element!
It might be an element. :colbert:

At least Venus is cooler than that chucklehead Ma-Ti.

Besides Venus will gently caress you up. :black101:

er, I mean:

edited to add clarity as to who is the chucklehead.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 31, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There's a Sailor Moon Redraw meme thing going around on tumblr recently. Results may vary.

Many more here

As well as on the tag for it on tumblr itself.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dads do it all the time, why not Moon Princesses? Maybe she's a fan of the George Foreman Naming Scheme.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Are you implying that in the time of the Crystal Millennium the Usagi Grill is a thing?

Because I think that's what you're implying. :colbert:

I didn't mean to, but now I'm retroactively claiming to have meant that all along.

But, just in case you didn't know, Mr. Foreman has five sons--all named George.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cover for Volume 1 of the 20th anniversary edition.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Potsticker posted:

Is it just going to be a re-release of the original? (the same number of volumes & price)

I actually have no idea at all, just saw it pop up on twitter and thought it looked cool. Most of the 20th anniversary news has been about the (supposedly) upcoming new anime.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

You forgot the " Sailor Moon says..."

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

I have vague memories of watching Sailor Moon once or twice back when it ran on Cartoon Network.

Where you can watch the series nowadays? All of the collections on Amazon are out-of-print and really expensive.

Also, is there a guide or recommendation on which seasons or dub to watch? I understand that the English dub cut and altered stuff (I don't know to what extent, though), but I still kind of want to watch it after seeing how goofy it is.

It's torrents or nothing for the show as far as I know, I don't know if the dub/edit is available anywhere.
http://bakabt.me/browse.php?only=0&incomplete=1&lossless=1&hd=1&multiaudio=1&bonus=1&c1=1&reorder=1&q=sailor+moon

Waaaaay earlier in the thread someone posted a link to a Sailor Moon Essentials list that seemed like a decent guide:

Famine Poodle posted:

For all you guys wanting to watch the original series without all the filler, check out Sailor Moon Essentials.

http://animania.eclectic-world.com/post.cfm/sailor-moon-essential-episodes

I rewatched the series a while ago using this, and it doesn't feel like anything is missing at all.

EDIT:siren: That site is dead! This looks like the same or a similar list however:
http://sailormoonfans.livejournal.com/2994139.html

If you like reading manga, that version does have a spiffy new English edition that should be easy to get your hands on.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Whenever I try to search for something, or select a search tag, the site tells me I need register to use advanced browsing. Is that normal, or is there something wrong with the site?

Also, doesn't this constitute as :filez:?

Whoops I forgot about bakabt's member only search thing, all they want is to keep track of your upload/download ratio, nothing weird happened as a result of signing up (that I'm aware of :tinfoil:)

But, if you still don't feel like it--I think direct links work, so here's the first season's page:
Season 1

As for the filez, I would have linked you to a site where you could stream or buy it if there was one. I'd love it if it would at least get picked up and streamed by someone.

The ADTRW rules posted:

THE RULES

• No torrents or direct links to material you can either purchase in the US or see on US TV.
    This means that it's ok to have links to anime and manga that is out in Japan right now, but remove your links and don't post new ones once you can get the title in the US. You will be banned if you post links to stuff available in the US. If there is a special case where, for instance, you have an ancient VHS copy of a show that will never again see the light of day, ask a mod first. Please note that this does include online streaming of shows!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Who knows what the animation will actually look like, but Naoko Takeuchi rules and I could look at her art all day long.

a kitten posted:

Her art ranges from "pretty good" to "completely incredible" and a lot of the page and panel layouts are amazing. And while her character designs don't have much to do with anything resembling actual anatomy (it's like 70% leg/15% hair/14% eyeball/1% everything else) everything is really expressive and fun just to look at.

a kitten posted:

I really liked her artwork and occasionally there will be a page, or even just a panel that's really eye-poppingly beautiful. I especially love when she just has Sailor Moon's already impossibly long hair just continue right off of the page seemingly to infinity.

As a random sample of what I mean, look at this: (sorry it's the old, flipped tokyopop version, couldn't find scans of the new translation)

Hair and ribbons right off of the page, panels over and under and behind each other. There's pages where characters step through and peek around panel borders, and pages where the panels borders are created by weapons or hair.

I guess what I'm saying is Naoko Takeuchi is a pretty skilled comics artist. :shobon:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I really like the school uniforms and how different they are from each other, overall I have to say I'm pretty excited about the new designs.

Not so much about the fact that it's Nico only though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Katanagatari came out monthly, definitely doesn't seem very common.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That's... Unexpected to say the least.
:monocle:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm not going to miss the old dub itself, but I'll admit to being totally nostalgic for the English version of the opening theme song. :allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Gearhead posted:

It would be nice to see Mamoru be a bit more prominent.

It's been ages since I looked at the comics, wasn't he basically a wizard?

I think he does even less in the comics, he doesn't even throw roses.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I can't really blame her too much for that in the beginning, at least as Sailor Moon. Luna pretty much shoved her into fights with almost nothing to fight with, no real strategy, and no training.

She had a very robust training regimen, tyvm. :colbert:

e:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

aers posted:

https://twitter.com/debaoki/status/470335584775319552

CR got the license, saved from the tyranny of Nicovideo.

Their day is wrong though.

Well that's good news, CR is way more convenient to watch on my TV.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hype levels approaching ridiculous now.
Someone please combine these two emoticons to properly convey my excitement.:ssj::sparkles:

E : it's possible I'm easy to please... don't care.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 6, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

delirious pancake posted:

Also, some smart person on Twitter made a few quick adjustments to a screencap to show how just a bit of tweaking could improve it (edited version on top, Naoko's art in the middle, original on the bottom):

I really, really wish we had THAT show instead. Usagi looks like a glassy-eyed fish in the new series.

While I can't find any argument against what those posts show (especially the corrected version in the picture), I'm not ready to start freaking out too hard about 1 minute of animation from a series that hasn't aired yet. Maybe they'll get it sorted out. v:shobon:v

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Seriously! Are those in any of the new volumes? I don't remember that from the main series at all.

Which could mean any of the following:
1)I forgot, because brains are weird.
2)It's just plain not in the new releases.
3)It's from the short story collection(s) that I haven't picked up yet.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Most tall characters in anime are pretty average when compared to Westerners.

Let's see we got Risa from Lovely Complex at 172cm (5'6")

and Sakaki from Azumanga at 174cm(5'7")

And the various tall Sailors already discussed. So, yep.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 11, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah the subs are pretty bad, desperately need a better (any??) editor. At least it doesn't feel like I missed anything important, but annoying to read nonetheless.

The animation/direction seems a whole lot less dynamic this time around compared to the earlier version (and the manga). No cartoony flash of her skeleton when she Sailor V Kicked the door for example. Also, no rose throwing...c'mon Naoko you know you love roses, have them add that even if you didn't have Tuxedo Mask do that in the manga. :mad:

It was also fun to watch this one since I just watched the first 3 episodes of the original on hulu a week ago, not to mention having read the whole manga fairly recently.

Anyway, it was fun and I'm glad it's coming out and even with my complaints I'm pretty happy with it so far.:sparkles:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I definitely like manga (and presumably Crystal) Mamoru better for exactly those reasons, it's just that rose chuckin' is so cool.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

mateo360 posted:

Where? I don't see it on Viz or amazon.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/5-eIRoRMUleypaTW-X/browse/item/102860/4/0/0

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

And of course both are nearly identical to the original manga's first chapter. It's kind of neat to look at all three versions since they're all so easily available at the moment.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

No toast in the manga either. :colbert:

At least not in the opening pages, I can't remember if it happens at all or not, i want to say that it does though. Funnily enough, I was pretty sure I remembered the whole running with toast thing as happening right away and was moderately surprised to not see it when I started the manga.

edit: huh that image I pulled off the net has opposite take on the crybaby line than the Kodansha version, in the copy I'm looking at she says "I admit it myself...I'm a bit of a crybaby"

a kitten fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 8, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

The explains why he and Naru vanished during Stars (or maybe SuperS? Can't remember the last episode they're in).

Haha, yeah those two just kinda vanish in the manga too.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I remember seeing this ad in Mixx back in the day.:allears:

i kinda want that rubik's cube.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

delirious pancake posted:

Holy poo poo I had that CD-ROM! I absolutely loved it, even if I could tell that it was cheap and poorly made as a 10 year old. I particularly loved the "paper doll" part, and it had really ugly outfits to choose from. Too bad I don't have it anymore, I want to dress Usagi in brown-and-mustard polka dot rompers again :(

here's a fan-made flash version of a sailor dressup/senshi creator thing I found a while back, no idea if it has stuff as ugly as you're describing though.
http://dolldivine.deviantart.com/art/Sailor-Senshi-Maker-2-0-282309123

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

a cartoon duck posted:

the best one is the one whose attack is called "Super Uterus" or something

oh dear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DU9sQi_wnQ

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Go even older school with: on the internet, know one knows you're a catfrom a space cat planet that has its own Sailor protector!

or

Senerio posted:

Make it some PC game joke.

PCgaming master race

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The story moves really quickly though, and its sort of satisfying to see Jadeite and friends basically melting to death. The artstyle's even way better than I had thought it was going to be, I was somewhat expecting something along the lines of the promotional art where its all noodly and sort of bad but it really looks a lot like the 90s anime to me.

Crystal really doesn't look much like it at all.

The story just hurtles itself along, it was a real surprise to me when I first read it. The art's so good I sometimes just flip through and re-read random parts just to look at it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

If they had thought to stick a tiara on Luna I bet they could have all just waltzed in together. Not that it slowed her down for long, I guess she really is a cat after all.

It's weird, but not bad that they changed up some of the translation now, I went back to see if they might have retroactively changed Evil to Youma in the first episode, but nope. Not yet anyway. Evil was dumb, Youma is ok, why not just demon or something?

The translation seems different in the OP song too, maybe it's just that the karaoke is pink now.

• Locked thread