Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Ascetic Crow posted:

This is the opposite of me. This may tell you more about me, but when I was a little boy, I was like, "Anime dudes yelling and fighting? No sir, give me the show with girls chasing boys and gossiping!"

Then I got enthralled by Rurouni Kenshin and I was all aboard the Japan train.

This was me too, but for another reason entirely. It may have been girly as hell, but a) I could easily suss out what was going on and who to root for, and b) stuff happened in it. I wanted to get into DBZ because it was what some of my friends were into, but... what was even happening? Why did the green dude kill that one dude and take his kid? What the hell is a Saiyan? And how loving long does it take to charge up whatever the heck in the sky? Say what you will about Sailor moon, at least you knew the basic plot (guys from the moon trying to destroy the earth, stop them) and you could tell everyone apart. Seriously, I though it was so cool all the various powers on display here: one girl uses fire, another uses lighting, one shoots lasers, another does cool poo poo with time... it was a panoply of characters, and no one really got benched during the fighting. (Except for Sailor Saturn, and I still wanna see what her whole deal is...) It was pretty cool, and my first real anime I watched on a semi-regular basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Radish posted:

This post is way old but they had Sailor Mercury to be the perfect character.

That's a funny way of spelling Sailor Jupiter there, chummer.

But that's another reason for the enduring power of this show, I think: the presence of a cohesive team, with distinct character types that a variety of audience members can identify with. In addition to Usagi who serves as the slovenly, imperfect everyman, you have Ami for the shy bookworms, you have Rei for the quick-thinking, hot tempered types, Minako for the action-oriented tomboys, and Mina for... um... feminine virtue? Love? Something like that? I dunno, but you see my point. They functioned as a team as well, with distinct roles that inform and support the whole, as opposed to merely being nominally a group and letting the main character do all the work, something that you don't actually see a lot of shows doing (Avatar and MLP being recent one who do).

• Locked thread