Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
It was also nice to see that Uranus and Neptune didn't adhere to the stereotypical butch/femme stereotypes about lesbians in that the femme one was generally the more dominant one in the relationship. Also the fact that they weren't there for fanservice, they were just women who were in love with each other. It still says a lot about the way LGBTQ characters are portrayed when they're probably the closest thing I've seen in a lot of media to a realistic lesbian relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
I will never understand the love for Heartcatch Precure, but I'd definitely recommend Smile, Suite, and Splash Star if you want some Sailor Moon-esque shows in the Precure lineup. Precure's an odd one, because it was originally meant to be a magical girl equivalent of DBZ, but after Precure 5 it started becoming really traditional magical girl style.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
Otome no Policy was probably the worst of the lot, but man oh man. For all the hype around Momoiro Clover Z, I was actually hoping to hear some actual singing talent, so it's really disappointing to hear this was the best they could do for a sample track.

At least we have Mitsuko Horie.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
I'm more excited in seeing Sailor Mars the way she was depicted in the manga. Seriously, I don't understand why they had to make her boy-crazy.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
I'm so excited that it seems it's going to be a lot more like the manga, not just from the art style, but in terms of story. There's more images here showing off the school uniforms. I love how much they've changed them up to give them more personalized looks!

Edit with more pictures on the official site! I'm most excited to see Rei sounding more like manga Rei!

Tree Huffer fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 27, 2014

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
That's because Rei's personality was drastically changed for the 90's anime.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
I think one of the most exciting things about Crystal is being able to see actual chemistry between Usagi and Mamoru. Even when I was growing up, I felt like they hated each other and then suddenly decided to be eternal lovers once they found out they were lovers in the past. It's nice to actually have a little bit of banter between Tuxedo Mask and Sailor Moon rather than him throwing a rose and lecturing her.

And that was before I found out about the really creepy age gap thing. Was there a reason they decided to make Mamoru be in college while Usagi was still in junior high school in the anime? It totally upped the creepy factor for their relationship.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha

Dove from Above posted:

A further 'Ami's a bit weird' thing is the part in a Stars episode where she hugely impresses the other members of the Juuban High computer club by downloading a document from the Web and sending it to the printer. She says it's information on space engineering from the Harvard University library website, and kindly offers to translate it when the boy it's for says his English isn't very good.

It's the lyrics to 'Highway to the Danger Zone' by Kenny Loggins.

I like to think that Ami actually did go out of her way to print out Highway to the Danger Zone, and she's just being a little poo poo because they wouldn't know any better. :haw:

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
The only thing I really didn't like about anime Rei was the fact that they made her just as boy-crazy as the other girls. One of the things I really loved about Rei in the manga was that she didn't go crazy over boys all the time, and when asked why, she just said she didn't care.

Don't get me wrong, I do love a lot of the anime only interactions that we'd get, but I actually prefer manga Rei way more than anime Rei because of that little nitpick. Her gushing over Mamoru always really upset me when I remembered how she actually was more focused on her training as a priestess and as a soldier than over boys. I thought it was a really negative thing they added to her character, and that they made a whole weird love triangle between Usagi, Mamoru, and Rei.

On the subject of SuperS, I remember really loving SuperS as a kid because I loved how crazy and over the top the monsters were and how weird the episodes were. I wish I could go back to thinking that way because holy poo poo, SuperS is legitimately one of the weirdest seasons, but not in the positive way I thought it was as a kid. I'm pretty sure I just liked the bright and flashy colors.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha

The Monkey Man posted:

The only part of Crystal that I think is ever awful is the animation, and that's more inconsistent than anything.

It's really not that horrible. I think the big issue people are having with it is because we had this thing stalled for so long, then changed to a two week release schedule, and still has wonky animation from time to time.

Like, yeah, it sucks that you got super hyped up for expectations, but the animation is seriously the only thing that's a problem, and that's just from time to time. Other times, it looks fantastic, y'know, just like the original series.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha

Ernie Muppari posted:

Seriously, I haven't seen anything in Crystal that's all that worse than what most other series I've seen (yes, even modern ones that don't suck) have done wrong.

Like, it's not perfect, but all this :siren: trainwreck :siren: chat sounds hella' Comicbook Guy.

Seriously, it's not like the original was any better in terms of animation. Nostalgia goggles are seriously on, especially when people are saying that at least the original series was consistent with animation. It could be pretty jarring to see the stock animation of their attacks compared to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha

RMZXAnarchy posted:

To be fair pretty much everybody has a horrible wardrobe (Especially Rei and Usagi, holy cow. On the other hand, Ami and Makoto seem to mostly steer clear of whatever the hell the 90s was smoking when it came to fashion.

Mamoru's would be acceptable if not for the color scheme, that's what's worst.

This outfit used to haunt me as a child. I was always frightened by the doughnut skirt. I have no idea why.

Edit: http://starlight.csmalecki.com/reads/fashion.php
There is no color scheme that could fit that teal, yellow, and grey monstrosity from Sailor Moon R.

Tree Huffer fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 13, 2014

• Locked thread