Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
I don't want to be THAT person but was it subbed or dubbed?

My friend invited me to see Digimon Tri in our local theatre because I love Digimon so much and it was dubbed and I was so sad. I want to be mentally prepared for more crushing disappointment. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

It was dubbed. Kind of the whole reason for this limited release is Viz's acquisition of the rights and their new dub.

It's not a bad dub, really. But the voices are far too loud compared to the rest of the soundtrack (maybe they didn't have audio masters and only had a pre-mixed dialogue-free track?) and there are some parts that just really don't sound quite right in English, but that's subjective.

edit: Though they ARE showing it subbed in some locations as well. The closest theater showing the sub was over 3 hours away, instead of 15 minutes, so

That's too bad. I understand the reasoning, but I just prefer the original dialogue. It's not really a case of "preserving my authentic animu" or anything, I just honestly find dub actors really bad and I've never watched a dub I liked.

Same with Fire Emblem Birthright/Conquest on 3DS, I was super bummed they removed the JP dialogue option so I have to listen to over delivered or totally flat garbage lines. I would actually welcome any good dub recommendations to see if there's anything out there that could soften my opinion that dubs are always terrible.

Anyway, I'm still excited to go see R with my friends, and I need to remember that the Sailor Moon I fell in love with at 13 was dubbed and I should just enjoy magical girls.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

If you're ok with a silly and perverted series, look up Golden Boy. That is a really good dub, completely carried by the lead VA.

Thank you, I will check that out! I like Ranma 1/2, so silly perverted is fine with me. Come to think of it, I actually liked the Ranma dub just fine. It's a show where being silly and over dramatic pays off.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Saw the movie on Wednesday. It was actually a pretty solid dub and my friends and I had a lot of fun!

R is still my least favorite of the movies but I didn't remember a drat thing about it so it was like a brand new movie to me. I think I liked it a littler more this time than when I was a teenager.

• Locked thread