Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Cityinthesea posted:

S is the best, by far (the outer senshi are the best :colbert:). I never watched SuperS because of Chibi-usa, is it as bad as R?

SuperS has, I think, three major problems. They decided to make Chibi-usa the main focus, the new characters were god-awful, and it followed S. Categorically, I would say it's worse than R even when you count the filler half of R in the equation. The love story seemed hamhanded and forced, I really can't stress enough how much I dislike Pegasus, and can I say how much I hate Pegasus again? I didn't mind when Chibi-usa showed up in R but god drat did I hate on Pegasus.

So, yeah, worse than R. The only good thing about it is that it's sandwiched between S and Stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Pimpmust posted:

Mau or... Mao? :china:

:v:

Back to R, I read ahead a little in the manga and the Twins haven't shown up there, are they entirely made up for the anime? Their episodes have been somewhat less than inspired so far, even if I dig the DOOM TREE.

The first part of R, with Arabian Tuxedo Mask, is in fact filler. Made up strictly for the anime to give the manga more time to put out content.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Bugger Knows. Kai is such a mess, editorially speaking, which is frustrating because it's the (not TFS) version of DBZ I want most.

It'd be kind of hard to dub the Buu arc since they ended Kai at the end of the Cell arc.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Huh, well I'll be damned.

In Sailor Moon, since the series is planned to be streamed in multiple languages, I thought, is there any plan for a new release?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-04-30/sailor-moon-crystal-anime-confirmed-for-26-episodes

This is the first time I've seen it as anything other than speculation but it looks like we're getting 26 eps for now. I'm...slightly disappointed by this. I would have figured that with a bi-weekly schedule, they may have just gone through the whole thing but getting just over half of the original number of episodes from the first season seems kind of strange.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Dove from Above posted:

When I am frustrated with a situation, I sometimes hear her shrieking 'Burning Mandala!' in my head. It helps a little.

Coconut Cyclone 4 lyfe. :getin:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

If it gets better than this episode I might die of nostalgia. The backgrounds are just gorgeous and it literally felt like watching the manga get animated. I can't wait to see it all and the fact we need to wait 2 weeks is fine by me if the art stays like this/gets better.

Edit:

aers posted:

Yes. They're all awful. They're like.. Hong Kong-tier.

Them insisting that Youma translates just as "Evil" gave me flashbacks to watching terrible VHS fansubs in the late 90s.

Robviously fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 5, 2014

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Sailor Moon was syndicated back in the day; part of the reason that the Sailor Says segments were added was to be able to call it "educational programming." I remember that in my area two different channels actually had it. One before school and one after. It could have been on any local channel, Fox, NBC, etc, since each local channel has a chunk or time they get to use during the day. Most run talk or game shows since they're almost all syndicated by design. (In my hometown Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune are on ABC; where I'm currently living it's NBC.) Cartoons used to fill that before/after school niche.

^^^ E;fb

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Moatman posted:

She's definitely less emotive

Whether that's a bad thing or not is up to you

My only problem is basing how emotive she is off of one episode. I like the changes that they made to how she comes off as clumsy and I think we need to give it a bit more time before we can really gauge where they head with it. I don't think she's ever going to be as comically emotive as she was in the first series but I think there's definitely room for dramatic emotive improvement as the series progresses.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Mog posted:

I'm SO glad I'm not the only grown-up who loves this cheesy little girl show. I don't think I ever missed a single episode growing up- although I never told any of my friends because what kind of guy likes Sailor Moon for Christ's sake, I may as well have just come out of the closet right then and there instead of waiting until later. It's well written & funny with likable characters & lots of positive messages about girl power and friendship.

(At least, that's what I told myself when I ordered the box manga set off of Amazon for like $40 this weekend)

Does anyone know if the new series is closer to the manga? I heard it was but I'm not sure how true that is.

It's incredibly close. The only change that I could notice from the 1st chapter to the 1st episode is that when she transforms for the first time, she has a pair of glasses(goggles? mask?) that actually lets her see what's going on with Naru at the jewelry store. She doesn't have them when she shows up to fight though, so it's not a huge loss. I can't imagine that they're not going to stay super faithful given how much Takeuchi appears to be involved.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

mateo360 posted:

Question: Can someone explain why Ami's/Mercury's senshi outfit is the only one without shoulder sleeves?

this is starting to send my OCD into overdrive

Each of the senshi have little differences in their outfits. Shoulders, accessories, shoes, and Jupiter has her antenna on her tiara. This is not the series for OCD.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Axel Serenity posted:

I actually like the CG transformations, honestly. It just looks like a cel-shaded animation more than anything, and the bubbles for Ami looked pretty sweet. Should be interesting to see if they ever showcase Pluto's ultimate powers with it :black101:

I'm still torn on the CG transformations because they are just far too noodle-limber for me to not wonder who the gently caress approved that animation. The bubbles were a great touch, though, and I can't wait to see the fire and thunder.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Rodyle posted:

On the other hand, from what I recall the anime's pacing is so slow it drove me mad at a time when I could stand DBZ anime pacing.

Ideally we'd have a happy medium between the two with the manga's ridiculously pretty art.

I think you might want to get reacquainted with the original again. There is very little that actually feels like filler and really the only make problem, as fast as I'm concerned, was SuperS. It does a really good job of fleshing out the characters and even goes so far as to make a really sorry sympathetic anti-hero of sorts out of one of the villains. The entirety of the Doom Tree arc is another perfect example, for the longest time I didn't recognize it as filler even if I always wondered what happened to Arabian Tuxedo Mask.

I think that they went the right way with the new series, if only because I think we'd be missing out on a lot of good content if they just gave it a DBZ Kai treatment.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

the best one is the one whose attack is called "Super Uterus" or something

That's an odd way of spelling "Coconut Cyclone"...

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Can.. Can we just get Toei and Trigger to switch projects? I'd wait a couple months for Makoto to get episodes of Sailor Moon as done by Trigger.....

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

No but that £70 price tag certainty a Japan represent.

£70 for something that looks like a vagina but isn't sounds about right. :downsrim:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

New episode is out and jesus loving christ Umino... :magical:

I like the attention that Beryl got, nice to see some motivation on her part. It's been too long since I read the manga and couldn't remember that being a thing.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

HIJK posted:

That is partially the point since she is after all an average fourteen year old being forced into crappy situations. Her teammates take it more in stride because of their life circumstances which forced them to mature faster than the average person.

She starts out weak because it is her journey and everything that goes with that. In the manga Usagi/Sailor Moon matures into an adult fairly fast and becomes a serious warrior. She keeps her zaniness when the story wants comic relief but by the end of Dark Kingdom she takes threats a lot more seriously and isn't such a wimp.

Even by the end of this episode it's true. She got beat but she wasn't afraid to actually stand up and escalate when faced with a horde of movie zombies in front of her for a change.

I have to agree that this show has suffered for sticking to the manga's pacing. It's moving at the speed of light and while we get less filler, it's become a much more generic shonen show with a shojo facade. Meet villain, fight villain, power up, beat villain isn't really the best formula and I kind of wish they kept some of the lessons learned in the medium over the last 20+ years instead of giving us what amounts to Scooby Doo levels of characterization, even if it is closer to the manga. (Would have gotten away with this rental store if it wasn't for those meddling Sailor Scouts, yadda yadda...)

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I think he's more a fan of the Starlights. He's obviously trying to show everyone his Star Gentle Uterus.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Dove from Above posted:

I really, really feel that they're just doing this poorly. The character and relationship development are so lacking, even on the relationship they've given the most time, between Usagi and Mamoru.

You know, we've been criticizing the studio and director for how poorly the senshi are coming off in this but isn't Takeuchi the one who's okaying any story changes in this? I thought the whole point of this remake was that it was gonna be closer to her vision of what the series was supposed to be.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Pretty sure I saw that version of Sailor Moon back on Newgrounds early 200s.

This is the most accurate typo for that animation. I've seen hieroglyphs with more expression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I'm glad to see I won't be the only goon huffing out to Boston to go see magical teenage anime girls in HD.

• Locked thread