Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

U.T. Raptor posted:

The only thing of note Saturn ever did (other than die like an idiot, as was the style of the last couple episodes of the final season) was done offscreen :colbert:

Man it's been like a million years since I watched Sailor Moon, but wasn't the last couple episodes of every season everyone dying but then Sailor Moon revives them with the power of love or something? It's all kinda blended together in my head at this point.

Also Mercury was the best gently caress the haters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

complete with "BUY OUR MERCH!" written in 20 languages because drat if this doesn't fell like some sort of Merch Shilling exercise.

Yeah this is really hurting the moral and artistic integrity of Sailor Moon and anime as a whole.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

a kitten posted:

I'm not going to miss the old dub itself, but I'll admit to being totally nostalgic for the English version of the opening theme song. :allears:

Germany had the best anime openings back in the day.

The German dub also used the Japanese names with the exception of calling Usagi Bunny and pronouncing Ami like it was Amy, so there's never been any localization drama here. Plus we also got the last season over here for what it's worth.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I don't really remember anymore, but I think at that point they just rolled with it? I do remember they turned Michiru and Haruka into cousins and one of the henchmen in the first season into a woman. I think Fisheyes was turned into a woman too? I don't remember any justification for the Starlights, I just remember being hella confused by them as a kid.

Edit: Actually looking at some German Sailor Moon wiki Haruka and Michiru's relationship was "largely unchanged" from the Japanese original apparently? Like I said, I watched the show as a kid, so my memory's shaky.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 17, 2014

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Everyone's wrong, only her German dub name "Bunny" is correct because it captures the deep meaningfulness of the Japanese name and delivers it perfectly to Western audiences.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Wasn't Naoko extremely disappointed with how the original anime went? If so I can understand why she'd be extremely hands-on with Sailor Moon's revival.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

So what I'm getting from that nanpa article is that Japan is cracking down on their version of PUA? That just makes the whole thing even more hilarious.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

All I remember about Tuxedo Mask is that Sailor Moon and co usually get their asses kicked for no reason, then Tuxedo Mask shows and says "use your finishing move, Sailor Moon!" and then she did. I don't even remember him doing anything other than that.

Didn't Naoko at one point say that she feels all Sailor Moon adaptions are made from a male sorta point of view and that's part of the reason Tuxedo Mask gets a bigger role than the one he's got in the manga? I for one am excited for a roseless Mask.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

jkyuusai posted:

Why is paying for streaming to watch a brand new show a non-option for you?

Waiting a week is just more cost-efficient really. A week isn't a big deal and I don't mind ads either so I don't feel any need to subscribe really.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

boredsatellite posted:

Naoko is seriously hardcore.

Is the new series gonna follow the manga or Naoko's original vision for the series? I keep hearing she has much tighter control over this than the previous anime series, anyway.

Also, is there more of this because that's pretty great.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

my favorite sailor warriors are the ones that are dudes until they become women in skimpy clothes

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

aers posted:

Of course than there's the nutso fan interpretation where some fans believe Usagi is a tyrannical despot who used the Crystal to erase everyone's free will and rule eternally, because there's no way people could live in peace and harmony without it! These people apparently didn't pay attention to the manga or anime because the overall tone is about love, friendship, and optimism.

If I make it sound incredibly grimdark it means I am a really clever and smart person for enjoying it rather than a manchild watching a children's show.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

So is this just on Crunchyroll and Hulu? Seems like it's just not available in Europe.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

sorry makoto was someone else's waifu before she was yours, mate

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

She started the episode sliding down stairs on her butt, being late for school, flunking a test, then spending all day playing video games, and in the end she whined her opponents into submission.

Like yeah, they're playing the whole ~beautiful warrior~ angle up more, but so far she's still a huge dork.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

Too late, we're in the post-Madoka generation now, gotta come up with something even more wacky and edgy and dark and

Madoka was a show for grown men and Sailor Moon is a show for little girls. I know it's :thejoke: but with nerds these days you can never be sure. Cyborg Ami would be kinda cool though.

Dunno how many German goons are in here, but I just discovered VIVA is airing the old series again putting the last four episodes on their website for streaming. It's kinda funny how inconsistent they are about using "disappear" and "die" even within a single episode. It's also funny seeing Mamoru act pretty nice as a boyfriend when he's so deeply entrenched in basically everyone's memories since his season 1 appearance.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Dove from Above posted:

I think you and I have different ideas of what a woman in her late 20s looks like. She looks like a teenager to me.

This is what happens when the most common anime art-styles become increasingly infantilising over a decade or two.

At least the plus side is Sailor Moon is less likely to appeal to creepy-rear end weeaboo pedophiles now.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

DrPaper posted:

Is Tuxedo Mask in this one too?

His rose-throwing isn't.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I'd like to think after the bit in R where her Tiara stopped working because her powers decided to die on her she didn't think it was usable anymore.

Though I can't imagine why, its the only bit of her arsenal that's never lost, replaced or destroyed.

They've been showing S on TV here and Sailor Moon used her tiara a couple of times to save people whenever they get tied up, which isn't often cuz getting tied up is usally Moon's job. Speaking of which, you'd think the sailor warriors would wise up to literally every monster of the week having a rope attack of some sort.

Also I love how things get shoujo as gently caress whenever Haruka's on screen, like that's her only job in the anime.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The important question here is if anyone has a gif of Bunny using a pizza for a moon tiara attack.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The Death Busters in season 3 are so fun. All the other villains always act so gloomy about hailing Satan or whatever while Doctor Tomoe just loves his job so much. I also love how the German dub suddenly forgets that Haruka isn't a dude, especially when every other episode in the first half of season 3 was "no, you can't crush on Haruka, she's a girl!"

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the best one is the one whose attack is called "Super Uterus" or something

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The best Sailor is Sailor Guts.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

my favorite sailor moon is wedding peach

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

SuperS is amazing. It has great morals of the story like beating your child with a stick is good if you do it out of love. Also Tiger Eye is a literal pedophile.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I dunno, I thought Ami's and Rei's transformation sequences looked pretty great in 3D, like they made full use of CGI for the water and fire effects. It's really just Usagi's that looks bad since she doesn't have anything going for it, plus it feels twice as long as the others so it just drags on.

Shame we're probably not gonna see Sailor Moon eviscerate a dude though.

Edit: In more old anime SuperS news, turns out Fish Eye and the horse are also literal pedophiles. I wonder what went through the directors' heads when they decided the Trio's targets should be people they're attracted to, but that they also needed child targets. At least you can always rely on Hawk Eye being a cougar lover.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 17, 2014

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Correction: It was Tiger Eye that went after children/teenagers.

I've been watching the old anime since they've been showing it on TV over here and in a recent episode Fish Eye went after one of Chibiusa's classmates. Sorry, two thirds of the Amazon Trio are pedos in the anime.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Death Busters

The Death Busters are legit the best though. Doctor Tomoe absolutely loved his job being a mad scientist and Eudial had the best entrances. I still love how for her final showdown with Uranus and Neptune Eudial was playing the organ in some citadel only to have it turn out she was hover-handing an a cassette player next to her was blaring organ sounds, it's the perfect combination of goof and drama.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Beryl's responsible for like two genocides for entirely selfish reasons. It's pretty hard to redeem that.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Man, it's kinda amazing how different the manga and anime are. I do like how Tuxedo Mask feels more like a part of the team in the manga, in hindsight the anime might've been too married to his rose-throwing gimmick, to the point he arrives at the scene with the rest of the Sailor team pre-transformation, but still arrives a minute late to the actual battle just to do his rose thing? It starts feeling kinda alienating, like there's a needless line drawn between him and the Sailor team, so I'm glad that's not there in the manga.

I also like how Haruka has feminine as well as masculine outfits and moods as opposed to being all butch all the time like in the anime.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Violet_Sky posted:

I REALLY hope we get to see the Outers. It's been way too drat long since we saw them in a recent adaptation. Does Naoko not like them anymore?

Are they not in the TV show and musicals or something? Either way I wouldn't be surprised if this gets cancelled or whatever before we get to the Death Busters. Or the show is cheap enough to make that they can keep on trucking, I have no idea how Toei does things.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The only one I don't really see get much love at all is Pluto. I mean, she's only in R for like... three episodes (Visibly, and not as "Puu"). I'm still in the process of watching S and she hasn't shown yet, I imagine she's in the same truck as the rest of the Outers in SuperS and Stars is still a ways away for me.

Pluto shows up like two thirds through S and then doesn't do all that much. Whoever directed the anime was way too enamoured with their idea of Uranus and co being perfect and elegant soldiers, then couldn't figure out how to fit them in regular comedy monster-of-the-week episodes so they only do actual stuff in the mid-season turnabout and the finale. Also why they were straight-up not included in SuperS.

Speaking of, I couldn't make it through SuperS. It just feels so off it's kinda amazing. At least Stars is good, right? I remember enjoying it a lot as a kid where SuperS was just a fog in my memory until I watched it again.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

whoever story-boarded and/or animated the nehellenia arc of stars had an unhealthy fixation on upskirt shots

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

A Pinball Wizard posted:

"Melting Face Ami"

For a second I thought you were talking about that being-burned-alive face that Takeuchi loves drawing. Shame that whoever's directing the anime seems to be avoiding it. It's also a shame they didn't include Usagi crossdressing for like five seconds to deliver a one-liner for some reason.

Edit: I want them to animate Usagi having a nightmare about Mamoru's face melting off is what I am saying.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 6, 2014

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

So that's Sailor Star Maker's Gentle Uterus.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Zoicite not sounding like a woman even when he's not disguised is hella weird to me at this point. Also Mercury is cool for making soap bubbles not poo poo.

aers posted:

Venus next episode too.

The last 60 seconds of the next episode, maybe.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Dove from Above posted:

Also, where did Usagi get the idea that she doesn't have powers? Has she missed all those episodes where she's killed monsters with her tiara? And the part in the previous episode where Luna gave her a new magic wand?

Early on Usagi's deal is that she has somewhat low self-esteem. She starts the series narrating that she's basically a useless crybaby who isn't really good at anything, so while she isn't all "woe is me", she doesn't exactly have the highest opinion of herself. And by the time she starts accepting her powers she's made friends that excel at something and basically instantly accepted their duty. It's not exactly surprising that she'd figure she's the most replaceable Sailor Soldier, but then Usagi's cool enough that her bottom-line to that is "welp, gotta try harder".

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Old Sailor Moon anime even has an esports episode, it's amazing.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Dove from Above posted:

I agree with you there. Ami's voice often sounds more bold or confident than I want it to

Bold and confident Ami is great though. I love the bonus chapter in the manga where she angrily insists students have to subside on cheap tea and instant noodles instead of Makoto's cooking, then reprimands Makoto for her room being too clean meaning she's wasting time she should spend on studying. Anime Ami in comparison feels like a sad attempt at a straight attempt at times who just gets swept up in the hijinks of the other four because she can never put her foot down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Chrysolith posted:

That was an issue I had with this episode and the last one. The senshi barely fight, and then they get attacked once (on screen at least), and then they are down for the count. This anime doesn't do a very good job at portraying the villains as strong, but just the senshi as really weak.

Considering they're not killing off the generals they're probably planning to have the Sailor Team beat them in a four on four fight or something. That or they get trounced again but the generals sacrifice themselves for Mamoru in an act of redemption. Or both, who knows.

• Locked thread