Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I've only watched like 5-10 episodes of Sailor Moon when I was at other people's houses, because at home I didn't have the channel it aired on. The sheer length of it all, coupled with the episodic nature gives me the feeling it will be painfully slow to watch these days. And so I've been thinking about doing it (but never carrying it out) for like five years. :v:

My question is, should I bother watching it or should I just wait two more years until the remake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I remember the latin american dub tried to pass off Zoisite as a girl... Except for one or two times when he says something about being a guy. :v:

I'm also watching the essentials right now, and I chose to not skip over the doom tree arc (it was pretty nice, all things considered) but mostly I just dread the inevitable arrival of Chibi Usa.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I am SLOWLY making my way through R. Everything about Chibi Usa is awful, the antagonists have the worst aspects of the Youma and the space twins with none of the bits that made them good charming tolerable, and Mamoru is such an unlikable prick that I find myself missing when he just picked on whiny highschoolers for kicks.

It gets better, right? Right?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Don't get me wrong I don't expect much above saturday morning cartoon levels, but man, the Youma had Zoisite being fabulous and the aliens had a flower-man Vampire spawned from a tarot deck. The Phantom Sisters don't even use any goofy monsters half the time and only talk about how fighting ruins their make-up.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Why does S get such a bad rap around these parts? I finished it recently and the second half is the most fun I've had with Sailor Moon yet. The Outers are interesting and help the Inners develop a little, Mamoru only appears when he has something to add to the episode, the antagonists are the weirdest and less cliched so far, and Chibi Usa is a real character rather than a plot device.

Did I skip some really bad episodes or do I just have weird taste?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

legendaryorange posted:

I've slowly been working my way through this series. I remember when I was younger watching the show and thinking how awesome it would be to have magical powers.

Now, I watch it, and I find it very difficult to keep going on. Because I pick up on all the things my young mind glossed over. Like how Mina is hopelessly obsessed with an old boyfriend who didn't like her. Or how Mamoru is such a dick all the time.

I'm currently halfway through R. I am told not to expect it to get much better at this point. Yet, I still have to ask.

What is it about this show that makes us drawn to it? Because I watch it now, and all I can think about is how bad the show is overall. Have my standards for anime just gotten that much higher or something?

It is a superhero saturday morning cartoon that happened to be aimed at girls. Which wasn't a super common thing at the time. It didn't age very well and is pretty hard to take seriously, but conceptually it hits a lot of things that shows at the time kind of ignored or glossed over.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Endorph posted:

Honestly, the fact that the characters in Sailor Moon are kinda assholes and idiots a lot of the time but still do the right thing makes them much more relateable and true-to-life than the perfect characters you'd get in a lot of other cartoons of the time.

But that could just be a jaded adult talking.

I will say that while I like that the main cast aren't very good role models, I kind of wish they were at least more, you know, about girl power. For the entire first season of the series the only thing that the Sailors cared about was they wanted to have a boyfriend... Except for Amy, I guess. Tuxedo Kamen-sama is always saving them because he's hypercompetent, and even the big bad wants to marry him.

I am willing to forgive those things because it goes with the show's themes of princesses and princes, and because it gets better about that in the later seasons.

socialsecurity posted:

The main thing about SailorMoon and DBZ at the time is they had a storyline, one that went from one episode to another. At a time when every other thing on American TV was pretty episodic that made them both very appealing despite their other flaws.

DBZ was serial, and that's why I do think it aged better to an extent. Like a third of Sailor Moon is just monster of the week episodes with very little character development in them. But yeah, at least you would see the plot advance over ten episodes if not two or three.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Shin Mazinger was also only a rumor (there was no info whatsoever, no previews, it got pushed back once or twice even, until it got a concrete air date) until it suddenly aired as scheduled and then had no problems whatsoever.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I recently finished Stars, having only watched a few loose episodes of the first Season and R as a teen, so I was mostly unspoiled and unsure what to expect from S onwards. I'm going to post some :words: about it because I must tell the internet what I think and because I like when other people share their thoughts too.

I'm going to assume spoilers are kosher, but just in case there's still other people catching up with Sailor Moon, well I'm going to post spoilers. :v:

Stars was a really fun season! At first the Sailor Lights felt like a rehash of Haruka and Michiru, but they had very good chemistry with the Inners themselves so it was fun. That sitcom-esque episode with everyone hanging out at Usagi's was good stuff. I have no idea what to make of them in terms of audience representation though. They're women taking the names and roles of men, being generally manly to the point of liking other women, but their powers come from their biological sex to the point that one of them has a technique named Star Gentle Uterus. :psyduck:

I really liked how the Sailors threw every classic action manga twist they had at Galaxia, and it was never enough, then some more Sailors would go down against her. It did a really good job of making her seem legitimately threatening after four seasons and three movies of saving the world through eleventh-hour powerups.

It was nice to have Minako having her own shtick beyond being 'Usagi but ditzier', and the same goes for Ami having interests other than studying. Makoto and (specially) Rei kind of fell by the wayside but they had the most three dimensional personalities after Usagi already, so it wasn't so bad.

The first five episodes were some pretty good filler too. I wish Super S had been more like those five Episodes rather than about Chibi Usa falling in love with a horse and the molestation adventures of the PUA villain squad. You'd think an evil nightmare circus chasing a pegasus who lives in the dreams of people would make interesting antagonists if only for the pure ingenuity of it, but here we are.

Now on to the manga!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I couldn't resist looking over the spoilers and all that stuff sounds awesome. Is the J-Drama version subbed?

MagicalDuck posted:

You're going to like the equivalent manga arc. (I'd consider it the best arc.)

No sarcasm? Looking forward to it!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I was looking Sailor Moon stuff on youtube and, well, I'll let this speak for itself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=358ewVY2nko

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

What is this I'm seeing, girls straight up fighting each other? Not doing dance-fu or blasting each other with magic?

Are those gifs indicative of the franchise in general? Because I might give it a try if that is the case.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm honestly going to be disappointed if they don't give Eugeal the presence she had in the original series.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Dove from Above posted:

Do you mean in Crystal? There's no indication yet whether Crystal will have more than one season, or tackle anything beyond the original Dark Kingdom arc. Maybe if it's a big success they'll continue, but on the other hand they may say 'There, we did our big celebration of twenty years of Sailor Moon (like two years late), we're done.'
And that's coming from someone who absolutely loves Eudial and wants to resurrect both her and Nephrite to start a kind of Red-Headed League of Awesome Villainy. I think they would get along; they were both the most effective member of their respective teams before something beyond their control went wrong, they both love Gothic architecture, and they both drive like loving maniacs.

I just looked it up and apparently her name is Eudeal except that lots of dubs and subs call her Eugeal. Consistency!

I am kind of taking it for granted that they will eventually animate the rest of the series. The outer senshi were always really popular and the Dark Kingdom is rather cliched, it doesn't make sense to me to only go that far if you want a new generation of fans. But then again japanese animation studios have done weirder things with their brands.

It'll probably take another two years to get there though, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This is the best tag.

• Locked thread