Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good guides for watching Sailor Moon? I didn't watch it much as a kid so I'm basically going in fresh, are there any highlights I should check out first or should I just soldier through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ascetic Crow posted:

Read the manga. Seriously, the manga is fantastic, and you can get a box set in English for cheap.

Make sure you watch the anime, both in Japanese and in English. I recommend watching the English, because it's really bad. Even as a kid, I remember thinking that the acting was terrible (I really like Sailor Jupiter, but Jesus Christ her voice actor was horrible.)

DO NOT WATCH OR READ ANYTHING ELSE. That way lies madness.

No, I don't care how great the musicals and light novels are.

aers posted:

There aren't any light novels as far as I know, the musicals are in fact great, and you forgot about the live action!

Okay now I'm just more confused :psyduck:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Famine Poodle posted:

For all you guys wanting to watch the original series without all the filler, check out Sailor Moon Essentials.

http://animania.eclectic-world.com/post.cfm/sailor-moon-essential-episodes

I rewatched the series a while ago using this, and it doesn't feel like anything is missing at all.

Ohh, this looks like what I was looking for. Would this ruin it for a new person going in?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is... is this what siblings do?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pimpmust posted:

On the other hand I thought the Fake Sailor Moon (not Zoisite) deal was better handled (if still obvious), in the Anime those particular twists are the worst/most telegraphed secrets I've ever seen :v:
(To the point I wonder if they were even supposed to be twists?)

Every episode title for Sailor Moon spoils its ending, so I think you're supposed to know it's Zoisite right away.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Wait, what's wrong with it? It looks pretty good to me. I mean it's just BUY OUR STUFF but what'd you expect?

It's more the lack of information about the animated series :(. Though yea, not expecting information to be announced just through the website.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I'll be watching the first episode and I still won't believe it's real.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Celes posted:

I'm very disappointed.

A year delay is pretty bad, but as disappointments go it's pretty tame. Take Kizumonogatari, the prequel book to the Monogatari series that explains the origins of the main characters. It had an adaptation announced back in 2010, and despite not being finished the series kept going and was even more confusing as a result. Or like how Gravity Falls episodes don't come out every week despite the fact that they're all finished. Or holy poo poo the delays in the A Song of Ice and Fire books (the basis of Game of Thrones). The main plot lines of the third book weren't picked up on until over a decade later in the fifth.

So yea, I can wait an extra year for Sailor Moon.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"I've been sent from the future to stop Sailor Moon anime!" Runs around studio breaking the animator's pencils.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I'll probably be the first to say the Bi-weekly thing might be for the best? More time to work on each episode means better animation, I would think.

Yea, I've been warming up to this idea. I kind of love the rushed, cheap, and yet lovable stuff Toei's been putting out this season but if it takes them two weeks to make something better while also maybe letting their animators go home to sleep at night that's probably a good thing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Crunchyroll is a buck less than netflix, has nearly all the new shows, and doesn't show ads. It's almost assumed that people here have Crunchyroll subscriptions, and that news was exciting because it meant with the subs we currently have we could watch it :shrug:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's a list here, but there's just a handful. Crunchyroll's specialty is subs.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think that might be a case where Rooster Teeth wants RWBY on Crunchyroll more than Crunchyroll wants RWBY. Honestly, if they had any sense it would be on youtube like Cartoon Hangover but RWBY is not fueled by sense.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh yea, but like a week late tho. It's not where they launch.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CherryCat posted:

Does anyone happen to have a list of the essential episodes, I know there was one in the early pages of the thread but the link no longer works.

Thank god for the wayback machine.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm happy with no rose throwing, as it keeps the focus on Usagi. The reflections in the broken glass is a cool visual substitute, and gave him just enough presence in the scene.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Toast has become an otaku cliche and the spirit of the show is to avoid stuff like that so it's out.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yea, I was expecting her to sound more like Ryuko but the voice she went with is a better fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Japan still has Tower Records. Think about that.

• Locked thread